Choosing subject combinations

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Choosing subject combinations

Postby thekiasustudent » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:27 am

Hey all!

I am intending to take the following subjects when I get to JC, so:

H2 - English Literature, Economics, History, Knowledge and Inquiry
H1 - MTL, PW

Alternatively, if I do not qualify for KI

H2 - E Lit, Econs, History
H1 - Math, GP, MTL, PW

--

I am just rather concerned that if I choose the first combination - I would wind up not taking a proper 'contrasting subject' (because, KI wouldn't exactly qualify as a subject when taking courses in university). On the other hand, I really am not interested in math.

While many insist that math is really important... is it really that important if I'd probably want to do an arts/ humanities course (Literature, etc.) in university instead of a math/ science one (Mathematics, etc.)?

--

Also, hypothetically speaking, if one decides to drop KI (due to inability to cope with the demands of the subject) and switch to GP. What does one do with the contrasting subject element that is required?

Hence, is it possible to take H2 KI + H1 Math on top of H2 Lit, Econs, History? Just in case? (I know it probably doesn't exceed the academic units, but will it be a wise choice since it will be taxing? Or is it safer since it offers a contrasting subject to an arts stream student?)

Also, how recognised is KI in universities?

Thanks a lot! :D

thekiasustudent
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Choosing subject combinations

Postby 365psych » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:06 am

Firstly you have to qualify for KI. Your grades plus diagnostic test will determine if you are suited. If you intend to go overseas to study, KI or GP does not matter. Uni's overseas are quite slack. Math is important. Take H1. Locally KI will stand in better light than GP (all else being equal).

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 pm

thekiasustudent wrote:Hey all!

I am intending to take the following subjects when I get to JC, so:

H2 - English Literature, Economics, History, Knowledge and Inquiry
H1 - MTL, PW

Alternatively, if I do not qualify for KI

H2 - E Lit, Econs, History
H1 - Math, GP, MTL, PW

KI can be regarded as a contrasting subject, but most of the JCs will not allow a student to choose this combi as in case the student cannot cope, there is no way to drop it to GP.

--

I am just rather concerned that if I choose the first combination - I would wind up not taking a proper 'contrasting subject' (because, KI wouldn't exactly qualify as a subject when taking courses in university). On the other hand, I really am not interested in math.

While many insist that math is really important... is it really that important if I'd probably want to do an arts/ humanities course (Literature, etc.) in university instead of a math/ science one (Mathematics, etc.)?

--

Also, hypothetically speaking, if one decides to drop KI (due to inability to cope with the demands of the subject) and switch to GP. What does one do with the contrasting subject element that is required?

Hence, is it possible to take H2 KI + H1 Math on top of H2 Lit, Econs, History? Just in case? (I know it probably doesn't exceed the academic units, but will it be a wise choice since it will be taxing? Or is it safer since it offers a contrasting subject to an arts stream student?)

Also, how recognised is KI in universities?

Thanks a lot! :D

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby teddybeary » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Hmmm maths is important, it's a pre-requisite for most courses in uni. For example, if you want to take econs in uni, they do not require you to have taken econs at all. however, they do require you to have taken at least h1 maths

teddybeary
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 pm

Try to take H1 Math when possible.
Not sure if TS took A Math for O levels? If you did (and did reasonably ok), H1 Math would actually be quite a breeze. In fact the Pure Math syllabus of H1 Math is even simpler than O level A Math.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees