Appealing to JC, URGENT!

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Appealing to JC, URGENT!

Postby wwwinona » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:20 am

Hi! I'm planning on appealing to CJC as I am more humans inclined and I'm intending on going to an arts course. I have a raw score of 9 points (7 after CCA deduction). However, I did not put CJC as one of my top 12 choices. So I am uncertain on their willingness to accept my appeal.

I am also in choir in Secondary school, which got a gold at the recent syf. I am not very willing to appeal with my cca, but do you think that will be necessary?

I am also planning on taking a business or journalism course in uni. Would h2 maths be essential for business? Or is h1 maths suffice? Also, how would taking lit affect my chances, since I did not take lit in secondary school, but I am english-educated and I hear that CJC is good at humanities.

Also, do any of you know what are the essential items to bring for appealing? I know that you need to bring your report book, olevel results slip, testimonial + CCA achievements and a passport sized photograph. Are there any other items that would be crucial to the appealing process?

Please do share your views/comments! I am going to appeal on Monday when the posting results are out. Insight will be much appreciated.

Much thanks! :smile:

wwwinona
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Appealing to JC, URGENT!

Postby FrekiWang » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:38 pm

most of the business courses require H2 maths, accountancy requires h1 maths.

If your did not even include the cjc in your list (12 choices), most probably your appeal will not be entertained. Appealing should be done online, and the system will require you to input in which choice you put CJC, and what you choose to appeal through etc.... so the relevant documents depend on what you choose to appeal throught.

One issue for you to consider carefully. If JAE posts you to a JC tomorrow (for example AJC), you have to decide whether you are going to accept it by tuesday. If your appeal request is accepted by CJC, the outcome may not be out in one or two days.

So ON TUESDAY(most likely you will not have known the outcome of your appeal): if you decide not to turn up for the registration and orietation in AJC, you may be deemed to have given up the offer, and your place in AJC may be given to candidates who have appealed to AJC. If you turn up for the registration, you will become an AJC student officially, even your appeal turn out to be successful, you have to seek AJC's approval to transfer you from AJC to CJC.

The common practice is to appeal before the JAE posting is out, and the outcome of appeal should be known by Monday as well, then the student will know which school to report to.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby teddybeary » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Yes yes, go on and appeal, try!
From what I know, CJC looks at points and their choir got gold with honours for SYF so they most probably will want you. If all else fails, contact the choir teacher straight and ask for an audition/ help.
No harm trying anyway. You have a good score too and you'll regret in the future for not trying if you dont!

teddybeary
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby orange33 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 pm

My daughter has a score of 7 points (after deduction of 4 points, 2-CCA and 2-Higher chinese) and have opted for Science course in ACJC. To our disappointment, she was rejected and got posted to CJC instead (2nd choice). We are now thinking of asking her to appeal to ACJC and St Andrew (3rd choice) respectively. Can anyone comment and advise whether this is the right thing to do. Please also give us your views on ACJC, St Andrew and Catholic Junior College. Thanks in advance :)

orange33
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby alice97 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:00 am

My son's Olevel result was net 8point. I heard that the COP for Anderson(science stream) is 8. But he was posted to SAJC. But since he wanted to go AJC, he appealed. Will he be able to go to AJC?

alice97
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby verykiasu2010 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:27 am

orange33 wrote:My daughter has a score of 7 points (after deduction of 4 points, 2-CCA and 2-Higher chinese) and have opted for Science course in ACJC. To our disappointment, she was rejected and got posted to CJC instead (2nd choice). We are now thinking of asking her to appeal to ACJC and St Andrew (3rd choice) respectively. Can anyone comment and advise whether this is the right thing to do. Please also give us your views on ACJC, St Andrew and Catholic Junior College. Thanks in advance :)

oh, looks like ACJC cut off point dropped by one, last year 7 this year 6

ACJC is methodist

SAJC is anglican

CJC is catholic

ACJC showcase their academic achievement in the school website, SAJC does not; but they (SAJC) have some 'scholar' program, basically to groom a selected class to up their chances to secure scholarship after A level
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:50 am

alice97 wrote:My son's Olevel result was net 8point. I heard that the COP for Anderson(science stream) is 8. But he was posted to SAJC. But since he wanted to go AJC, he appealed. Will he be able to go to AJC?

Difficult to tell but worth trying in view of AJC's academic strength in science.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 am

orange33 wrote:My daughter has a score of 7 points (after deduction of 4 points, 2-CCA and 2-Higher chinese) and have opted for Science course in ACJC. To our disappointment, she was rejected and got posted to CJC instead (2nd choice). We are now thinking of asking her to appeal to ACJC and St Andrew (3rd choice) respectively. Can anyone comment and advise whether this is the right thing to do. Please also give us your views on ACJC, St Andrew and Catholic Junior College. Thanks in advance :)

ACJC is definately more superior. Btw, the standard of CJC and SAJC are similar except that the latter has better PW results.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby orange33 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks verykiasu2010 and Edureach :) Do you think we should go ahead to appeal to go ACJC and SAJC ?
By the way, how is CJC overall in terms of their strength and academic results and the percentage of students that can be admitted to the local University ?
Thanks again !!!

orange33
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:24 pm

orange33

Go ahead to appeal to ACJC. As for SAJC, do so if the distance is closer to your home than CJC.

CJC is strong in humanities though it has a decent science stream. Approx 80% of its cohort make it to local unis.

For cop of 6-9 science stream, the strongest player is AJC follows by ACJC.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees