Subject Combination?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Subject Combination?

Postby Quill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:43 pm

I'm thinking of taking:

H2 Lit, Econs, Math
H1 Bio/Art

I'm not sure if I should put H1 Bio or H1 Art in my first choice. I am interested in the visual arts, but I have not had any formal visual arts education other than art lessons in school and art classes when I was young. I've taken a look at the H1 Art syllabus (http://www.seab.gov.sg/aLevel/2013Sylla ... 9_2013.pdf) and I think I could handle it. On the other hand, because it's a new subject to me, I don't think it's very wise to take 2 completely new subjects at A levels (the other being Econs).

On the other hand, I have taken and enjoyed Biology (pure) in Secondary school, but I am not really keen to relive the whole memorising + graphs shebang. I'm not very good at my sciences.

So, in a nutshell, I'd like someone to advise me on whether I should take H1 Bio or Art.

If it helps, here are my results:

English A1
Chinese B3
E. Maths A2
A. Maths B3
Chemistry C6
Biology B3
Combined Humanities B4
Literature (English) A1
L1R5 13

Thank you to everyone in advance.

Quill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Subject Combination?

Postby 365psych » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:50 pm

Take a subject if you will enjoy it, but it is also important to place it in context of what you hope to do in Uni.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Quill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:55 pm

365psych wrote:Take a subject if you will enjoy it, but it is also important to place it in context of what you hope to do in Uni.

I'm interested in courses like Mass Comm, Journalism, Creative Writing, Literature and Anthropology.

Is it risky, though, to take H1 art especially if I don't have an 'O' level Art background?

I think I'll enjoy it, but I'm really not sure >< Bio is the logical choice, but still...

thank you :)

Quill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

Your combination for H2 subjects seem perfectly fine and logical. However word of advise: You have to work doubly hard for H2 Maths because you didn't do exceptionally well for your double Maths in O Level. You need to train up your A Math foundation so start early.

As for your H1 subject, choose a subject which you're interested in. Because studying for something which you don't like would really be a torture in the JC system. Since you're in doubt, talk to one of the Visual Arts teacher in your JC and seek their advice.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Quill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

tkbd wrote:Your combination for H2 subjects seem perfectly fine and logical. However word of advise: You have to work doubly hard for H2 Maths because you didn't do exceptionally well for your double Maths in O Level. You need to train up your A Math foundation so start early.

As for your H1 subject, choose a subject which you're interested in. Because studying for something which you don't like would really be a torture in the JC system. Since you're in doubt, talk to one of the Visual Arts teacher in your JC and seek their advice.

tkbd, thank you for your response :)
I will, because I know Math was never (and will probably never be) my strong point. (In fact, I got F9 in my Prelim 2 for Amath...)

Okay, I think I'll speak to a teacher tomorrow.
thank you!!

Quill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Quill wrote:
tkbd wrote:Your combination for H2 subjects seem perfectly fine and logical. However word of advise: You have to work doubly hard for H2 Maths because you didn't do exceptionally well for your double Maths in O Level. You need to train up your A Math foundation so start early.

tkbd, thank you for your response :)
I will, because I know Math was never (and will probably never be) my strong point. (In fact, I got F9 in my Prelim 2 for Amath...)

Okay, I think I'll speak to a teacher tomorrow.
thank you!!

Oh, haha. Then why don't you take H2 Biology since you said you're interested in Bio (afterall you got the same grade for Bio and A Math)? And then take H1 Art?

Is it because the course you're interested in requires H2 Math as a pre-requisite? Or the subject combinations are fixed in your JC?

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Quill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:37 pm

^ Unfortunately, it's fixed. :/
And I do like Bio, but not enough to take H2 Bio ^^

Plus, I just checked the requirements for the university courses that I'm interested in and the courses that actually do make use of H2 Bio don't interest me at all, and practically no courses make use of H1 Bio at all. So, according to your advice earlier, this has really tipped the scale in favour of H1 Arts. :)

I don't like Math, but the thing about Math is that it's possible to excel in Math through sheer hard work. I may have screwed up in O levels but I'll definitely work harder this time.

Sorry...looks like I went off on a tangent lol.

Quill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Quill wrote:^ Unfortunately, it's fixed. :/
And I do like Bio, but not enough to take H2 Bio ^^

Plus, I just checked the requirements for the university courses that I'm interested in and the courses that actually do make use of H2 Bio don't interest me at all, and practically no courses make use of H1 Bio at all. So, according to your advice earlier, this has really tipped the scale in favour of H1 Arts. :)

I don't like Math, but the thing about Math is that it's possible to excel in Math through sheer hard work. I may have screwed up in O levels but I'll definitely work harder this time.

Sorry...looks like I went off on a tangent lol.

Icic. Yep what you said's very true. Math is all about practicing and practicing. No easy way out.

All the best for your JC education! (:

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Quill » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 pm

tkbd wrote:Icic. Yep what you said's very true. Math is all about practicing and practicing. No easy way out.

All the best for your JC education! (:

Haha I learnt the hard way.

Thank you, and to you too, in whichever stage of education/life you're in now!

Quill
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees