Inquiries about subject combination

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Inquiries about subject combination

Postby delulytric » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:57 pm

Hello people, I'm currently in one of the JC (arts stream). I would need help from everyone here to make a comment on my choice.

I plan to choose the following:
H2 Mathematics
H2 Economics
H2 History
H1 Physics
GP&PW&MT (3 compulsory subjects.)

Here are my O level results as a reference to what subject combination that I'm choosing.
English: B3
Chinese: B3
E Maths: A1
A Maths: B3
Pure History (2173) : A1
SS/Geog: A1
Pure Physics: A2
Pure Chemistry: B3

Here are my thoughts on my subject combination. I'm more inclined towards humanities despite having an average standard for English at my very best, thus the choice on H2 History, since I'm naturally interested in history. I have no idea on economics though, it's a relatively new subject to me, although its more towards the financial stuffs like supply&demand, etc. However, I feel that I'm seeking my own death route if I choose to get H2 mathematics, despite having a relatively fine grade for my both E and A mathematics, due to the fact that my A maths foundation is shaky and unreliable at times. H1 physics... not so much comment on this.

So... I would like to know with this PHME combination, what career opportunities do I have in the future? I'm more towards the FASS path, but at the same time, I may have a change of passion anytime and might want to do business or other paths.

Besides that, should I try to choose for another subject combination after penning down my thoughts?

Much appreciated,
delulytric

delulytric
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Inquiries about subject combination

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 pm

Not too bad a combination, incorporating your strong subjects and your interests. However, you need to starting revising and train up your A Math things fast, because H2 Math builds up on the basis of A Maths.

Generally there's still quite a wide range of career choices with this combination, with the exception of medicine, pharmacy and maybe law.

But I think courses like Engineering (since there's H2 Math & Phy), Accountancy are still there; and with combination you can still go to FASS/ Business etc.

Go for it!

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby delulytric » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks a lot tkbd :) You clarified most of my doubts. I don't intend to go into medicine and pharmacy due to lack of interest in these field, plus my biology sucked to the max XD.

I am planning to seek some consultation with my friend who is adept at A maths... Looks like I have to meet up with him some other times and ask him to teach me whenever both of us are free.

Now... I just fear my GP, because my secondary school didn't teach me how to write expository essays or argumentative essays... Hais...

delulytric
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tkbd » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:35 pm

delulytric wrote:Thanks a lot tkbd :) You clarified most of my doubts. I don't intend to go into medicine and pharmacy due to lack of interest in these field, plus my biology sucked to the max XD.

I am planning to seek some consultation with my friend who is adept at A maths... Looks like I have to meet up with him some other times and ask him to teach me whenever both of us are free.

Now... I just fear my GP, because my secondary school didn't teach me how to write expository essays or argumentative essays... Hais...

Oh I didn't notice your Phy was a H1. If that's the case, it might be a little tough if you're interested in Engineering (because it requires both H2 Phy and Math, and some even Chem)

You might want to use this link to check out the pre-requisite for various Uni courses:
http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/local/BYA- ... sites.html
[Click 'A' level and Mature applicants (with H1/H2 results) ]

Well for GP I was in your shoes as well when I first went to JC. Most importantly is to keep yourself updated with current affairs and do more essay outlines. Go for consultations and discuss how to improve on your AQ. Keep yourself updated with Examples on various issues which you can use for AQ or Essay - and these eg can be used for various topics.

tkbd
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby delulytric » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 pm

tkbd wrote:
delulytric wrote:Thanks a lot tkbd :) You clarified most of my doubts. I don't intend to go into medicine and pharmacy due to lack of interest in these field, plus my biology sucked to the max XD.

Oh I didn't notice your Phy was a H1. If that's the case, it might be a little tough if you're interested in Engineering (because it requires both H2 Phy and Math, and some even Chem)

You might want to use this link to check out the pre-requisite for various Uni courses:
http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/local/BYA- ... sites.html
[Click 'A' level and Mature applicants (with H1/H2 results) ]

Well for GP I was in your shoes as well when I first went to JC. Most importantly is to keep yourself updated with current affairs and do more essay outlines. Go for consultations and discuss how to improve on your AQ. Keep yourself updated with Examples on various issues which you can use for AQ or Essay - and these eg can be used for various topics.

Yikes... that's a little saddening... I can't take 4 H2 subjects due to my points aren't enough for me to take 4 H2 subjects. Besides that, the stress would be tremendous...

I will have to buy myself lots more of newspaper in that case... Haha, there goes my daily expenditures. I would certainly need to seek help from teachers, since my foundation on English isn't relatively strong yet... I would often make careless mistakes on grammar. And thanks for the website. It gave me a brief overview of what courses I could enter in the future.

delulytric
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Edureach » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

tkbd has given u some good advices in this instance. Your subject combi is probably the most well thought that u can hve on this occassion.

With best wishes.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mensch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi delulytric, just want to add on for your GP concerns, you don't necessarily have to go spend money on material right away. Dipping into current news is of course helpful but more than just factual recounts, you need analysis. You can find samples of this in the Opinion and Commentary sections of the Straits Times and the websites of other known news sources like The New York Times and the BBC.

Another area to try which involves even less reading is a handful of intellectual conference sites. These include TED.com, BigThink.com, and Fora.TV. Lots of excellent videos from world experts, mostly for free. You can download and listen / watch on the go too.

Hope that helps and best of luck! :)

mensch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby delulytric » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Edureach wrote:

tkbd has given u some good advices in this instance. Your subject combi is probably the most well thought that u can hve on this occassion.

With best wishes.

Thank you very much :)

mensch wrote:Hi delulytric, just want to add on for your GP concerns, you don't necessarily have to go spend money on material right away. Dipping into current news is of course helpful but more than just factual recounts, you need analysis. You can find samples of this in the Opinion and Commentary sections of the Straits Times and the websites of other known news sources like The New York Times and the BBC.

Another area to try which involves even less reading is a handful of intellectual conference sites. These include TED.com, BigThink.com, and Fora.TV. Lots of excellent videos from world experts, mostly for free. You can download and listen / watch on the go too.

Hope that helps and best of luck! :)

I'm only good at factual recounts... I'm not really good at statistics and analysis. I don't like reading too much, looks like it would be an uphill battle for me. TNYT and BBC, I'll take note of that. Anyway, is it good for me if I were to read articles from the Economist website, because I remembered I read a few of them and I got pretty interested despite of the 'chim' words they used. Ah, videos too, forgot about them... I was blasting music all day long and didn't realise videos can be used as a channel to help my studies.

Thanks so much again mensch :)

delulytric
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mensch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 pm

The Economist is fine. Most established sources are fine. You can also try following the blogs of famous professors and journalists or even their twitter feeds, which often link to good articles.

Main thing is to not be intimidated by the "cheem-ness". Observe how these sources develop the arguments and keep things simple so a general audience can understand.

Videos are an amazing resource nowadays. Definitely good for those who don't like reading too much :)

Feel free to reach out if you need help!

mensch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees