Applying to overseas universities.

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Applying to overseas universities.

Postby jtoh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:35 pm

What are some websites which I can refer to for information on applying to overseas universities. For eg., requirements - academic and non-academic etc.

Thanks for any info.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Applying to overseas universities.

Postby verykiasu2010 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 pm

jtoh wrote:What are some websites which I can refer to for information on applying to overseas universities. For eg., requirements - academic and non-academic etc.

Thanks for any info.

US ? UK ? OZ ? NZ ? CN ? EU ?

some of the agencies in singapore do provide good and up to date info

Times guide to UK uni, British Council website, US embassy with edn links, google for US uni, too many too list, depends on target countries

can also try the RI's website on applying to uni
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Can also try the Times Higher Education World Uni Rankings for reference

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... -rankings/

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:34 am

Thanks schweppes and vk2010.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby dragonflysg » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:49 pm

I think the academic part is pretty covered. Let me shed some light on some interesting things I found out. I will share 3 things not found in Singapore system which you should take an interest in if you want to go overseas.

1 - Diversity. This criteria is to provide students with a taste of as many cultures as possible and provide for an interesting learning on Campus. It also serves to provide overseas networks for students to get jobs/set up companies overseas. Singaporeans are usually grouped with Malaysians.

2 - Passion. This shows in your constant and consistent work experience in an area or set of skills. Being passionate about your subject area would likely to ensure you love the subject and study it well. It also gives you work experience in your CV even before enrolment to get you intern ships, and placements after that.

3 - Legacy. People with inferential/rich family background, or are Government/MNC scholars get points for this criteria. These people provide good recognition in inferential circles for the varsity and its graduates. They also provide exclusive career opportunities for fellow students, not to mention donations which translate into scholarships etc.

So other than studying, try to get points in these 3 categories. Good luck!

dragonflysg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phtthp » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 am

for Top UK and US ivy leagues universities, you are selected firstly based on grades and then if you qualify, followed by interview.

but you still need to submit your entire CV.

Needless to say top UK and US universities are much higher in ranking than local ones. Again it also depends on the course of study.

example
LSE is first in ranking for corporate law in the world , but overall school ranking is much lower for other courses, aside from Economics.

But for law in general, top is Oxford last year.
Again the ranking changes every year.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 am

dragonflysg wrote:I think the academic part is pretty covered. Let me shed some light on some interesting things I found out. I will share 3 things not found in Singapore system which you should take an interest in if you want to go overseas.

1 - Diversity. This criteria is to provide students with a taste of as many cultures as possible and provide for an interesting learning on Campus. It also serves to provide overseas networks for students to get jobs/set up companies overseas. Singaporeans are usually grouped with Malaysians.

2 - Passion. This shows in your constant and consistent work experience in an area or set of skills. Being passionate about your subject area would likely to ensure you love the subject and study it well. It also gives you work experience in your CV even before enrolment to get you intern ships, and placements after that.

3 - Legacy. People with inferential/rich family background, or are Government/MNC scholars get points for this criteria. These people provide good recognition in inferential circles for the varsity and its graduates. They also provide exclusive career opportunities for fellow students, not to mention donations which translate into scholarships etc.

So other than studying, try to get points in these 3 categories. Good luck!

Thanks dragonfly. A question - For Diversity, there's nothing much you can do about it is there? If I understand you correctly you're already providing diversity by being a foreign student?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am

within the top UK and US unis, the diversity is great, tops brains from all over the world
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby dragonflysg » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Answering for "Diversity". While many of us would understand it as "Culture" and even "Nationality/Ethnic", yes that's mostly true. Within US and UK, "Diversity" is alreadt there. There are many ethnic and cultural diversity within these host countries. So what can a Singaporean bring to the table especially when competing against the Malaysians whom we have been grouped with?

I would suggest that if you have some very unique hobbies, put it in. Check also what special item your target varsity has/is proud of, or is looking to develop. It may not be stated up front, but read their student services or students office site would give you some ideas. Some are sport varsities famous for certain sports teams, some varisities are looking to start a botany club etc. I hope this gives you some ideas for "Diversity". And be truely cultural. Many varisties in teh West now (my guess) is very drunk on the Chinese culture, but at the same time did not want an overflow of Chinese students. So Singaporean and Malaysian Chinese who have deep Chinese cultural practice would be a good "substitute". I wish to state that I am not racist though the last statement might appear to be so!

dragonflysg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby darkraivscresselia » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Criteria:

1. Grades - There is no excuse to not having perfect grades if you want to go to top unis. You also have to score perfectly in placement tests e.g. SAT/ACT.

2. Extracurriculars - You don't have to have a heap of ECs in your pocket. However, you need to be passionate in the ECs you have participated in and you have to win something major.

3. Background and Personality - Top Unis want diversity. Hence, make sure that you are unique enough to be one of their students by bringing all interesting points about yourself to your admissions essay or interview. Exploit any unfortunate circumstances you have too e.g. accidents or death of a family member. They do not too many asians too. So be careful not to present yourself as the typical, lifeless Asian who is controlled by his/her parents.

That's basically all of it.

collegeconfidential.com is useful.

darkraivscresselia
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees