Should I study medicine?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:37

Re: Should I study medicine?

Post by mommyNg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 am

indistress wrote: I applied for the 4 unis that require only bmat as i missed out on the deadline for UKCAT (oxford, imperial, UCL and leeds). BMAT results are only valid for 1 year so if i wish to apply for UK in 2020 that'll mean I'll have to retake BMAT next year in 2019. Besides, I don't think I would want to wait for another year when I'll face the same problem of the high costs of studying medicine overseas. Duke-NUS may be the last alternative I would consider as it'll take a long time (and isn't cheap as well) I'm afraid ill be upset during my course of study in pharmacy with thoughts that im not doing what i really want with my time.
thanks for your input though, really appreciate.
Have you considered applying to SUTD-Duke-NUS direct programme? You scored very well in your A levels and I'm sure you qualify for their scholarship as well.

https://www.sutd.edu.sg/Admissions/Unde ... D-Duke-NUS

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:108

Post by jtoh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am

indistress wrote:
jtoh wrote:Which unis are you applying for in the UK? The interviews there are usually in Q1. There are also UK unis that hold interviews in Sg and Malaysia, so you might want to consider those. One option is to apply for the local unis in 2019, then if those fall through, apply for UK or Australia for entry in 2020. You will need to take a gap year for UK, but term in Australia starts in Jan so it's less of a lag time. Another alternative is to head to Duke-NUS after your pharmacy degree.
I applied for the 4 unis that require only bmat as i missed out on the deadline for UKCAT (oxford, imperial, UCL and leeds). BMAT results are only valid for 1 year so if i wish to apply for UK in 2020 that'll mean I'll have to retake BMAT next year in 2019. Besides, I don't think I would want to wait for another year when I'll face the same problem of the high costs of studying medicine overseas. Duke-NUS may be the last alternative I would consider as it'll take a long time (and isn't cheap as well) I'm afraid ill be upset during my course of study in pharmacy with thoughts that im not doing what i really want with my time.
Imperial and UCL conduct their interviews in Q1. Oxford conducts its interviews a little earlier. Leeds should be in Q1 as well. Among the 4, the London unis and Oxford will be more expensive than Leeds. Unis in Ireland are probably less expensive than those in England as well. But the reputation of Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial far outranks those of the other unis.

If your BMAT results are very strong, you might stand a good chance at LKC because you scored well in your core subjects. Have you got outstanding non-academic activities? If you do, apply through EIS for YLL. That might boost your chances too. I know of people who got in with a B in their core subject through EIS.

I understand what you mean about not being happy at Pharmacy. Hope it works out for you.

indistress
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by indistress » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm

mommyNg wrote:Have you considered applying to SUTD-Duke-NUS direct programme? You scored very well in your A levels and I'm sure you qualify for their scholarship as well.

Hi mommyNg,
i actually have not heard of this programme. i just checked it out and it seems like a possible alternative for me. i'll think about it, thanks a lot! :)

indistress
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by indistress » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm

jtoh wrote:Imperial and UCL conduct their interviews in Q1. Oxford conducts its interviews a little earlier. Leeds should be in Q1 as well. Among the 4, the London unis and Oxford will be more expensive than Leeds. Unis in Ireland are probably less expensive than those in England as well. But the reputation of Oxbridge, UCL and Imperial far outranks those of the other unis.

If your BMAT results are very strong, you might stand a good chance at LKC because you scored well in your core subjects. Have you got outstanding non-academic activities? If you do, apply through EIS for YLL. That might boost your chances too. I know of people who got in with a B in their core subject through EIS.

I understand what you mean about not being happy at Pharmacy. Hope it works out for you.
Hi jtoh,
not so sure about having scored well for my A levels when comparing to the many who have scored perfect 90rp and have gotten an interview at YLL. :( same for my BMAT, medicine is so competitive; i just want to do what i like and am passionate about. Im not too sure whether my non-academic activities can be considered outstanding, I do have several extra-curricular achievements and cip work throughout my school years though. Will start looking to do more volunteering work and internships to build up my portfolio to apply for EIS. Ive always thought to apply for EIS you have to have superb superb outstanding achievements such as representing the nation for competitions :L
thanks again for your help :salute:

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mommyNg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm

indistress wrote:
mommyNg wrote:Have you considered applying to SUTD-Duke-NUS direct programme? You scored very well in your A levels and I'm sure you qualify for their scholarship as well.

Hi mommyNg,
i actually have not heard of this programme. i just checked it out and it seems like a possible alternative for me. i'll think about it, thanks a lot! :)
Great! It seems like once you get into this programme, it is a direct entry to Duke-NUS (provided you maintain a stipulated academic performance), and the plus point is that Duke-NUS will engage you prior to your graduation from SUTD with periodic meetings with Duke-NUS faculty on campus and invitations to activities designed to provide insights into the medical school experience and a career in medicine. All the best! :rahrah:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Post by jtoh » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm

mommyNg wrote:
indistress wrote:

Hi mommyNg,
Great! It seems like once you get into this programme, it is a direct entry to Duke-NUS (provided you maintain a stipulated academic performance), and the plus point is that Duke-NUS will engage you prior to your graduation from SUTD with periodic meetings with Duke-NUS faculty on campus and invitations to activities designed to provide insights into the medical school experience and a career in medicine. All the best! :rahrah:
The programme sounds like a biomed engineering degree leading to an MD. There is also another pathway to Duke-NUS - the Liberal Arts and Medicine Pathway. https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/admissions/ ... d-medicine

Just a note on Duke-NS. Of the 4 years there, only one year is spent on pre-clinicals, one year on research and only two years on clinicals. The curriculum is very condensed so the students work really hard.

mommyNg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by mommyNg » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 pm

jtoh wrote:
The programme sounds like a biomed engineering degree leading to an MD. There is also another pathway to Duke-NUS - the Liberal Arts and Medicine Pathway. https://www.duke-nus.edu.sg/admissions/ ... d-medicine

Just a note on Duke-NS. Of the 4 years there, only one year is spent on pre-clinicals, one year on research and only two years on clinicals. The curriculum is very condensed so the students work really hard.
Wow, it's good that we have more options for our children now!

pinky
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by pinky » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 am

Is getting a master’s in medicine worth it?

TTC
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by TTC » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:19 pm

mommyNg wrote:
indistress wrote: I applied for the 4 unis that require only bmat as i missed out on the deadline for UKCAT (oxford, imperial, UCL and leeds). BMAT results are only valid for 1 year so if i wish to apply for UK in 2020 that'll mean I'll have to retake BMAT next year in 2019. Besides, I don't think I would want to wait for another year when I'll face the same problem of the high costs of studying medicine overseas. Duke-NUS may be the last alternative I would consider as it'll take a long time (and isn't cheap as well) I'm afraid ill be upset during my course of study in pharmacy with thoughts that im not doing what i really want with my time.
Have you considered applying to SUTD-Duke-NUS direct programme? You scored very well in your A levels and I'm sure you qualify for their scholarship as well.

Wow 3.5+4 = 7.5 years. Any idea how much it will cost?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Post by jtoh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:27 pm

TTC wrote:
mommyNg wrote:

Wow 3.5+4 = 7.5 years. Any idea how much it will cost?
$13k per year at SUTD = $45.5K (approx)
$46K per year at Duke-NUS = $184K
Total = $229K