Does law graduates in Singapore have a lack of job?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Does law graduates in Singapore have a lack of job?

Postby happyvalley » Mon May 07, 2012 11:44 am

Some parents think that law graduates in Singapore have a hard time finding jobs...Is it true?

My niece is wondering if she should take up law...I am worried for her.

happyvalley
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Does law graduates in Singapore have a lack of job?

Postby dragonflysg » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 pm

DO law graduates in Singapore have job security? I assume you are talking about NUS and SMU law graduates.

The legal industry in Singapore is not the most exciting place, yet. Singapore has been steadily building up to Asia's Arbitration hub with very good success. While the commercial law aspects cannot be compared to NY London and even HK, Singapore still is one of only two financial centres of Asia and the regional HQ for South East Asia. This means that Capital Market, M&A, Corporate Law still have huge demand for talent. The issue is, while most aspects of Singapore Law are off limits to non-Singaporeans (and PRs), Commercial aspects of the Law (including Capital market, M&A, Corporate Law) are open to foreigners admitted to other Bar jurisdictions. It does mean more competition for these vacancies, but if you are strong enough then the 10k a month salary is always yours to grab.

Generally, I do not think NUS and SMU graduates would have problems finding job offers, unless they really screw themselves up by not studying etc. Personal opinion, I do think NUS graduates would have more opportunities as they are not ushered into a single commodity named Commercial Law also known as "the big sexy". But you can always disagree.

The most important thing is to ask your niece if she is really interested in pursing Law as her career. It is a relentless professional requiring no less than almost every weekend and many 2-3am weekdays. This lasts for the intern and trainee-ship years, plus the first 3 junior years. It may or not get better after that.

That's what I know about the industry. I am not a lawyer, but just have friends who are.

I wish your niece all the best in her decision!

dragonflysg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phtthp » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm

each year, roughly how many NUS and SMU Law faculty churn out ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Quintessential Mum » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 am

There are lots of legal roles be it in practice or in commercial firms. Finding a legal job is not an issue in Singapore.

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Edureach » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:35 pm

phtthp wrote:each year, roughly how many NUS and SMU Law faculty churn out ?

About 260 and 120 respectively. 100% employment record, mean salary approx $4850-5000.

Edureach
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby onemore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Edureach wrote:
phtthp wrote:each year, roughly how many NUS and SMU Law faculty churn out ?

About 260 and 120 respectively. 100% employment record, mean salary approx $4850-5000.

Yes, but may not be for long into the future...this protected profession is opening up for foriegn practice too.

The Singapore government is opening the door to international firms and developing the lion city as a centre of arbitration.

25% of lawyers are foreigners, and yet foreign law firms account for only about 12% of all law firms here..

Source: Singapore Ministry of Law, Singapore International Arbitration Centre

expect more foreign lawyers coming in - hopefully it is not going to be an influx like everything else... :gloomy:
Last edited by onemore on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onemore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Mawar » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Go for it if there is passion or interest. The same applies to any field of study. Even if she did not end up a lawyer, the training would put her in good stead in whatever field she chooses.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby onemore » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:18 pm

Mawar wrote:Go for it if there is passion or interest. The same applies to any field of study. Even if she did not end up a lawyer, the training would put her in good stead in whatever field she chooses.

agree, go for it for the passion and not for the $$$; just be prepared for competition before, during and after graduation. starters, local uni entry score AAA/A + written test + interview.

onemore
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:22 pm

law graduate from the LSE can practise law in singapore?

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby RachelLee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Not if you have a recognised degree from SMU and NUS. Not all law schools are approved by the Ministry of Law. For instance, even if you have an external degree in law offered by the University of London, you are still not allowed to practise law in Singapore.

RachelLee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees