NIE or Psychology @NTU

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

NIE or Psychology @NTU

Postby Dawnie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:40 pm

My nephew has been offered a place in NTU for Psychology and a place in NIE. Now he couldn't decide which course to take. Anyone have any reviews on these courses and what are the prospect? My sis is having headache now, not sure what kind of advice to offer.....

Dawnie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: NIE or Psychology @NTU

Postby xiaostar » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 am

Here's the cut-off for the two courses last year:

BBB/C NTU Psychology
BBC/C NIE Arts (Education)
BBC/C NIE Science (Education)

BBB vs BBC... not the far off eh?

To be honest, many employers view NTU HSS (which psychology is under) as a dumping ground for people who could not manage to enter NUS FASS. At least with a degree in education, you're have a guaranteed job with decent pay (with a starting salary ~3k I believe). If your nephew is interested in being a teacher, I'll say don't write off NIE that quickly.

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:13 am

You have to ask him what are his interests? Teaching or research? He also needs to look at his personality - is he patient with children? does he like to talk to people?

You don't get very far with just a degree in Psychology. The money only comes when you take up the Masters in Clinical Psychology where you can then open a clinic or work in institutions to see people with problems. To be accredited, he needs to clock field hours and write research papers.

NIE means he has to teach and be bonded for 6 years. I know of pple who wasted 3 yrs at NIE, broke bond/dropped out and took up another degree, only to end up tutoring full time. Guess they like teaching but didn't want the regimented life of a teacher.

I guess in terms of status, the clinical psychologist will be more respected unless he can climb to the post of principal within a short frame of time.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby RachelLee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:11 pm

If he chooses NIE, he would have limited career options as he can only work in the education sector. With an honours degree from NTU HSS, he would have better prospects as he can choose to work in both public and private industries; in the legal sector, education service or government administration (Mindef, Mha, etc).

RachelLee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ssmummy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 pm

If he has PASSION in teaching, join NIE. :-) we all need good teachers.

To stay in the education sector, one must have the calling and inner desire in wanting to impart the right knowledge, values and thoughts to students under his charge.

Teaching is a noble job. ;-) with great power... Comes great responsibility. The thoughts, words and actions of a teacher will somehow MOULD an young individual. ;-)

ssmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees