JC or POLY?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

JC or POLY?

Postby Valerie Teoh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:07 pm

HELLO!

I'm currently an Sec 5 N(A), O level student. As DSA and DPA and going on now (DPA starting real soon!). I was thinking should I go to a JC or Poly?

The below is my result. (PRELIM 1)
English- C5
Chinese - A1
E. Maths - A1
A. Maths - A1
Science (Physics & Chemistry) - A1
Combined Humanities (Geog) - A1
L1R5 - 10 / L1R4 - 9
CCA - A1 (So is 2 bonus points)

My CCA is St. John Ambulance Brigade, but not very strong in it. But I have public speaking talent (competitions).

I have high CIP (or VIA) hours. (about 200++) as I volunteered outside. Is it a better chance for me to DPA/DSA using this CIP as one of my applying criteria?

So, should I go into a JC or Poly? (If Poly, I might consider DPA. I've already applied DSA to several JCs). If poly, I would consider my choices as: Business & Social Enterprise (NP), Chinese Studies (NP) and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (NYP). If JC, I would choose the middle range ones I suppose. :) But I'm seriously wanting to get into HCI because of the hostel facilities and also the programme in the school!

Thanks! :smile:

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: JC or POLY?

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Think you can try JC but must work harder for GP coz your English is not very strong.

If you want the Poly, don't take a course like Chinese Studies unless you want to end up teaching Chinese next time. It is very limiting in career choices no matter what they say.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Valerie Teoh » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:52 am

cherrygal wrote:Think you can try JC but must work harder for GP coz your English is not very strong.

If you want the Poly, don't take a course like Chinese Studies unless you want to end up teaching Chinese next time. It is very limiting in career choices no matter what they say.

Oh... Teaching... I would reconsider my choices then, THANKS! :D

Also, @Mummy of three, OK! No harm trying :D Thanks!

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby insider » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

I riding on this thread coz of the title for the below sharing though content is not relevant to the TS' queries.

---------------------------------------------

It is like a 'harvest' period for me for my two elder kids.

My eldest daughter sent me a note few days back with the below extract:

"I love you and thank you for recommending Ngee Ann and steering me onto this path. Also for providing me with the chance to come to the UK, where I am able to meet all these people and be exposed to the endless opportunities that would not have been apparent to me had I stayed in Singapore. "

It seems like it's only yesterday that I saw how she was trying to make up her mind on which JC to go to with her 7As and 2Bs results, asking classmates about their choices etc. She couldn't make up her mind coz she was reluctant to put herself through another two years of 'theories'. I then just threw her an option to look at polys' courses which can be very interesting.

That window was opened for her (which at the beginning it never actually crossed her mind that she has that option).

She chosen Ngee Ann and had her meaningful 3 years in there, spending much time in labs doing something that she likes.

Time flies and she will be applying for her PhD next year. Something must have hit on her to write me a Thank You note few days back. (she told me poly training gives her an edge over her JC classmates in her uni as her hands-on lab experiences are much stronger than them.)

---------------------------------------

Last night, my elder son came to my room and told me today will be his last filming day and after today, his poly life will be 'unofficially' over (officially will be Apr next year).

He spoke with much gratitude that I had helped him to make one of the best decisions in his life to take up the Filming course, that he spent his almost 3 years in poly with minimum 'dull' moments, and that throughout the 3 years he has been on the move, learning, having fun, and growing in many areas. He concluded he will miss his poly life which is one of the best 3-years in his life (meeting creative, talented, and fun classmates). Speaking with so much passion and enthusiasm about his course, he only short of saying that he hopes that his poly life can last longer.

We spoke briefly about his future, etc, but at the end we decided not to explore further first until he about to finish his NS (entering NS next Aug/Sep).

Before he left my room, he moved over to give me a hug and a peck on my cheek, saying, "Mum, thanks for allowing me to be what I want to be."

That was really a moving moment for me coz my 'gambles' seem to have paid off for my two elder kids.

This week seems like a 'Harvest Week' for me...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby GKeller » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 am

Valerie Teoh wrote:HELLO!

I'm currently an Sec 5 N(A), O level student. As DSA and DPA and going on now (DPA starting real soon!). I was thinking should I go to a JC or Poly?

English- C5
Chinese - A1
E. Maths - A1
A. Maths - A1
L1R5 - 10 / L1R4 - 9

My CCA is St. John Ambulance Brigade, but not very strong in it. But I have public speaking talent (competitions).

I have high CIP (or VIA) hours. (about 200++) as I volunteered outside. Is it a better chance for me to DPA/DSA using this CIP as one of my applying criteria?

So, should I go into a JC or Poly? (If Poly, I might consider DPA. I've already applied DSA to several JCs). If poly, I would consider my choices as: Business & Social Enterprise (NP), Chinese Studies (NP) and Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering (NYP). If JC, I would choose the middle range ones I suppose. :) But I'm seriously wanting to get into HCI because of the hostel facilities and also the programme in the school!

It seems like you do not have a clear idea of your future career path given the diversified choices that you are looking into for poly courses. Here's a few things that you should take note before you make your final decision:

Science subjects in JC are of a greater depth. I have known of friends and some students who struggled with their science subjects in JC because they took combined sciences and therefore lacking in exposure to contextual knowledge. Unless you possess a great interest for sciences, these subjects may come across as obstacles.

JC could be too short to provide you with the exposure that you seek. Looking at your portfolio, it is clear that you are rather ambitious and adventurous. JC may not provide you with the time (and exposure as compared to poly) to take up much extra-curriculum programmes. JC has an intensive academic curriculum (many schools have 'mugging culture') and many opportunities to improve your portfolio is coupled with academic requirements. If you're motivated in what you do and strive to achieve more, Poly won't pale in comparison.

You're a girl. That means no NS to serve. You won't lose out in time gaps between NS and uni or Poly and NS. If you pursue a degree related to your diploma, it is likely that you'll be accelerated to year 2 in Uni.

Competition with scholars and IP student. Not just on academics, but CCA exco positions, scholarships etc etc.

If you're really into a hostel life, wait till uni. You'll have more time and money by then. I hope that these info can aid you in making a more informed decision.

GKeller
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby TravelMummy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:38 am

Go to the best school you can get into that would provide you the most stretch /challenge and widen your social circle of friends. School is the perfect environment to push yourself and test your limits in a fairly safe environment. Do not be fearful of academic challenges and let nothing anyone says put you down. Be aggressive in going after what you want. Spend a few minutes thinking what you want out of life. Poly or JC are just labels. Which would provide you a better stab at your goals? If you want to go local uni next time, JC is the usual option. Sure you can also go uni with a poly diploma but fewer make it to local u, and you need to be confident you have the means to go overseas. Also, some of the best friends that will help you later in life are ex-schoolmates. Use the opportunity to widen your social circle and move beyond your usual comfort zone. Your results have provided you a wonderful opportunity to choose. Seize it. Good luck!

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby siew_hong » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:24 pm

I second the point made by travelmummy that if you want to enter any local uni, going to JC is the usual route. This is because lesser places are reserved for poly graduates at the local universities so your results must be really cream of the crop kind to be accepted. But of course if there is a course in poly that particularly appeals to you, don't be afraid to go for it. Make sure you do the best there and I'm sure you will make it to the local uni as well even though competition for places is stiffer.

siew_hong
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kangjtan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Valerie Teoh wrote:HELLO!

English- C5
Chinese - A1
E. Maths - A1
A. Maths - A1
L1R5 - 10 / L1R4 - 9

Hi Valerie,

I feel that u can also see this choice from a longer term perspective. View this choice as something of a career choice.

What career path do you want to be in 10 years' time ?

Most people do not know about this at your age but you can be different.

To help you answer this question, think about the following:

1) What areas (skills, personality etc.) are you good at ?
2) What job do you like ?
3) Am I satisfied with the pay of that ??? job ?

You can check out websites like jobsDB / jobstreet to help you understand more.

If you can answer these 3 question decently well, you will have a good idea of a career path to embark on.

CHOOSE JC/Poly for the path that best prepare you for your future career.

kangjtan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Karen Wee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:23 pm

Hmm...from what i know the advantages of JC are that.

1) You have more time to think of what you want to specialize in as JC education doesn't specializes you on a particular industry like Poly does. For example you would be learning the typical science subjects like Physics, Chem and Maths and one contrasting Arts subject if you are in the science stream. For those in the Arts stream you would be taking up subjects like Literature, Geography, History, Economics and also one science subject. So the only choice to make is in choosing on whether to take the Science Stream or the Arts Stream instead of deciding on which one of the many specializations to take up.

2)A Levels mainly deals in academic work like written exams so if you are someone who does very well in studying, you could maybe choose A levels. However, there is still Project Work in JC but you only have to focus on one project for your entire first year while Poly has a project for mostly every module you take. Plus if you joined a project team that does not work hard in Poly be prepared to see your scores get dragged down (or do/improve their parts on their behalf) as Poly is quite heavy on projects. :evil:

3)You have a much higher chance of getting into the "Big Three" (NUS, NTU and SMU) then all the Poly students out there. With the pre-requisite that you must work hard too as JC admission doesn't necessarily means Uni admission.

However, the disadvantage of JC would be that you would really have to work very very hard all the way throughout the two years and do not be surprise if you do get retain on the first year. However, it is not a cause for worry as retainees do do well in "A" levels too. Just that they take more time to complete their JC education. Also, the "A" Levels is often said to be a three year course cramped into two so dont worry if you do fall behind your peers! :wink:

The advantages of Poly education are

1)A larger degree of freedom as there is more time for Poly students to pursue other areas of interest and not be a studying machine for a majority of their academic years. However, if you do really want to get into "The Big Three" there is definitely a need to work very hard too as GPA requirements for Poly graduates applying for local public Uni can go as high as 3.6+ for popular courses.

2)You get to study what you have interest in. Which may or may not translates to better academic performance for the individual. :)

3)You would graduate with a more specialized certificate and a skill set that is more relevant to the job market due to the specialized modules and internship experience that you would have for the particular industry that you chose.

Also, the results for 2013 "O" Levels are coming out next Monday so for those who are interested in seeing which JC or Poly do they qualify for I found a few sites which might be of use.

1.http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/cut-off-points-for-JC
2.http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/polytechnic-c ... -off-point

(quite interesting as these sites would automatically churn out the eligible schools as you enter your cut-off point into their system)

1.http://www.post1.net/biow/entry/2013_o_ ... _singapore
2.http://www.dunearn.edu.sg/students/juni ... oints-2013

(cut-off points for JC)

1.http://www.np.edu.sg/admissions/before- ... urses.aspx
2.http://www.nyp.edu.sg/nyp/slot/u150/fut ... akeCOP.pdf
3.http://www.sp.edu.sg/wps/portal/vp-spws ... L_CONTEXT=
4.http://www.tp.edu.sg/admissions/lastagg ... chools.asp
5.http://www.rp.edu.sg/Admissions_Informa ... cores.aspx

(cut-off points for Poly)

Good Luck! :rahrah:

Karen Wee
YellowBelt