How to motivate my JC son

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

How to motivate my JC son

Postby MayC » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:55 am

My son is in JC1 in a mid tier JC. He was doing ok up to O level scoring gross score of 11, though not exactly a very hardworking student.

From JC1, I find that he was working very late ( up to 2 to 3 am). On speaking to him, he admitted that while workload has increased, he is taking a long time to do his work as he is not motivated. Recently, it seems like he is starting to have a backlog and not handing up his work on time. This in turn leads to stress every morning when he needs to go to school.

We are very worried and has tried talking to him several time. He admitted that he knows it's impt to work hard, but somehow just can't motivate himself to work hard. We are really worried as he is moody all the time.....

MayC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby cherrygal » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Totally understand him... This is school fatigue esp after O levels... Too many distractions in JC too... new friends, pretty girls etc.

I would say, get him a tutor for his JC subjects, or change to an easier course. If he is biting off more than he can chew ie doing triple science and further maths when he is not exactly gunning to be a doctor or engineer, he will not find the passion to do these subjects.

I regret doing a double science double maths course instead of a simple Arts course (where you can score easier) and become a lawyer like my friend who didn't do as well as me at the O levels. She is earning more than me now!

Please do some career coaching for your son and if necessary, speak to his principal if he wants to change course.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am
Total Likes: 13


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:34 pm

cherrygal wrote:I regret doing a double science double maths course instead of a simple Arts course (where you can score easier) and become a lawyer like my friend who didn't do as well as me at the O levels. She is earning more than me now!

I don't agree with your conclusion that double sc double maths is more difficult to score than an Arts course. Surely it depends on the student's interests and abilities? My husband did double sc double maths and said he was always quite free as he found it easy, and scored top grades. I studied Arts, which I enjoyed, but it took a lot more hard work than what my husband put into his 'A' levels. And he knows that he would have struggled much more and done worse had he studied Arts.

But I do agree that the original poster's son should try to discover some passion for his subjects or switch subjects. It's better to do something you are interested in than something you aren't (even if it may pay better).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8842
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 181


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby whitecorp » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:45 pm

To TS, I would advise you to keep a close eye on him. This is definitely not healthy. If things persist I fear he may burn out eventually. Think complete withdrawal and self isolation. Think depression.

Time management is highly essential to a reasonably meaningful JC experience. That means striking an equilibrium between studies, CCAs and play. If one has to push way past midnight to settle his homework and revision, something is quite amiss.

That said, some junior colleges these days tend to crank up the work volume and stretch lesson hours (which in certain instances are absolutely unnecessary)-this rests on the mistaken belief that more is good. Therefore your son cannot be totally faulted for his current circumstance.

Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby MayC » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 am

I have been chatting with parents, and teachers and apparently this lack of sleep is rather common amongst our JC / IB students.
Thanks all for your advice. Will try to keep a close eye on him ( if possible as it is not so easy at this age).

MayC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:35 am
Total Likes: 0



Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby whitecorp » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Lack of sleep-yes it is common. Staying up till 3am, uncommon.

All the best for your son's studies. Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:38 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby joyceharper » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:37 am

MayC wrote:My son is in JC1 in a mid tier JC. He was doing ok up to O level scoring gross score of 11, though not exactly a very hardworking student.

From JC1, I find that he was working very late ( up to 2 to 3 am). On speaking to him, he admitted that while workload has increased, he is taking a long time to do his work as he is not motivated. Recently, it seems like he is starting to have a backlog and not handing up his work on time. This in turn leads to stress every morning when he needs to go to school.

We are very worried and has tried talking to him several time. He admitted that he knows it's impt to work hard, but somehow just can't motivate himself to work hard. We are really worried as he is moody all the time.....



Hi, I was just reading the forums and came upon your post and I don't really know the details of your situation but sometimes I find that talking to a teenager can be perceived as nagging. A good peer group and a positive influence / inspiration is actually quite important in this stage of a child's life.

I have nieces and nephews that are teenagers and when I compare the parenting styles used on them, I find that the best mix is the balance between being encouraging of the teen to go out and explore but guiding them to make wise and right decisions. I personally find that keeping a teen cooped up often backfires, they just end up channel-surfing (or youtube surfing) or lazing around.

Does your son have anything he actually enjoys doing that he is willing to work hard at? Maybe you can use that as a positive reinforcement?

I remember a friend telling me of how they got over this stage of their daughter's life. Let me try to find out more and get back to you.

joyceharper
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:45 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:19 pm

jc is very tough. jc 1 there is project work which is a huge burden on them... if he's taking new subjects in JC such as GP, Economics, etc, it might cause him more headache. give him help if he needs. don't nag at him... CCAs might be another headache? does he have friends in school? studying till 2-3 am in the morning is quite common because they have a lot of homework and tests... and they need to catch up... some JC teachers don't teach properly...they just merely throw the notes at the studetns to read up on their own....and because lessons are lecture styled, your son might not be used to the JC lecture style of lessons... so he might not understand the lesson at all...so it makes it difficult for him to do his homework /assignments... ask him where he needs the help..if he needs den look for a tutor for him....

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby Quintessential Mum » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:27 pm

kiasu_mum75 wrote:jc is very tough. jc 1 there is project work which is a huge burden on them... if he's taking new subjects in JC such as GP, Economics, etc, it might cause him more headache. give him help if he needs. don't nag at him... CCAs might be another headache? does he have friends in school? studying till 2-3 am in the morning is quite common because they have a lot of homework and tests... and they need to catch up... some JC teachers don't teach properly...they just merely throw the notes at the studetns to read up on their own....and because lessons are lecture styled, your son might not be used to the JC lecture style of lessons... so he might not understand the lesson at all...so it makes it difficult for him to do his homework /assignments... ask him where he needs the help..if he needs den look for a tutor for him....


I disagree, as i think that JC is manageable as long as your child learns to prioritize his school work and CCA commitments. This is a life skill that he/she will need in future. Don't be too quick to jump on the tuition bandwagon for a hopefully quick fix as not all tutors are equal and have the child's best interest at heart. If the child pays attention during lectures and consults his/her tutors during tutorial and after tutorial, there is no need to burn the midnight oil till 3am. Also, at JC level, it would be safe to assume that the child should be quite independent and he/she are suppose to read up on their own instead of being spoon fed.

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: How to motivate my JC son

Postby kiasu_mum75 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:10 pm

i know what u mean... but speak to the child first to see what problems/issues he is facing first...and then see how u can help him... :)

kiasu_mum75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:35 pm
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees