Millennia Institute

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Millennia Institute

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Anyone with kids in or knows much about Millennia Institute? Specifically in terms of the academic and social environment and support for weaker students?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Millennia Institute

Postby Valerie Teoh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:54 pm

My Sister is currently in MI Year 2. She said that her classmates are not very hardworking type... Most of them are prepared to go back to Poly... Teachers are willing to help but that depends on the students as well. My sister regret going into MI rather than Poly :(

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Glad to hear about the teachers. What does your sister like about Poly rather than MI? What is her subject combination? What is the reason for the students not being very hardworking? Are they mostly in MI because their parents want them to do 'A' levels and not their own choice?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby whitecorp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Glad to hear about the teachers. What does your sister like about Poly rather than MI? What is her subject combination? What is the reason for the students not being very hardworking? Are they mostly in MI because their parents want them to do 'A' levels and not their own choice?

You are right on certain counts with regards to them going to MI just for the sake of taking the A levels because they can't meet the cut-off requirements for other JCs. And their morale takes a beating, hence the less than enthusiastic approach towards studying.

However from my understanding some go there because it also offers a business diploma apart from the mainstream A level certifications.

Hope this helps. All the best.

Peace.

whitecorp
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Valerie Teoh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Glad to hear about the teachers. What does your sister like about Poly rather than MI? What is her subject combination? What is the reason for the students not being very hardworking? Are they mostly in MI because their parents want them to do 'A' levels and not their own choice?

Hi!
FYI, My sister was actually accepted to SAJC via DSA but in the end, she scored L1R5=21, so can't get in (must <20) She wanted some good courses in Poly like Biomedical Science but didn't managed to get in. Now, she say things like "She rather get RP's biomedical science and get the diploma" last time she looked down on RP but now she wants it. Because she say MI students are really not very motivated to study and she prefer those Group Work or Project style environment. She say that perhaps they just lack the motivation to study as most of them think they are those who can't make it so they go to MI rather than JC.
Anyway, she also regret lah.. :gloomy:

Regarding her combination, she is taking:
H2 Chemistry, H2 Mathematics, H2 Economics and H1 Art

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Valerie Teoh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh yea, my parents did not force her, but she can't get into JC nor her preferred course in Poly so she choose MI. (Her choice)

There are a lot of students were forced into MI because of their parents.

Another case is, the students only has 5 subjects..
Eg, my classmate who is planning to join MI next year, her O level subj are:
English, E. Maths, A. Maths, Science (Phy+Bio) and Comb Humanities (SS+Geography)
She also took CLB but it is NOT considered a subject.
She wants to go for A level education, so she has no choice except MI.

:) Hope this helps.

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks. I am asking for my daughter who will be going into JC/MI in 2014. We will have just returned from overseas, and she has some learning issues, so we would like her to have 3 yrs to adjust and prepare rather than 2. Her issues also make polys unsuitable as they requires too much independence and group work which she would find challenging. I guess we will have to deal with the motivation issues at home.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Valerie Teoh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:58 am

slmkhoo wrote:Thanks. I am asking for my daughter who will be going into JC/MI in 2014. We will have just returned from overseas, and she has some learning issues, so we would like her to have 3 yrs to adjust and prepare rather than 2. Her issues also make polys unsuitable as they requires too much independence and group work which she would find challenging. I guess we will have to deal with the motivation issues at home.

Hmm, I see. Good luck to your daughter when she return to Spore :D
Hope she will be more motivated to study when time comes. :D

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby alternative » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:14 am

Hey. I'm currently studying in Millennia Institute. I'm in my second year, doing Arts. Well, I do have to say that Millennia has the entire spectrum of all sorts of students one could possibly think of. To define our students as "stupid", "academically weak", would be too narrow minded, i would say. one can't just go labelling things like cans of beans. it goes the same for any other school, really.

it's a completely different atmosphere in Millennia. rather laid back. i would attribute that to the mindset that many of us adopt. i personally believe that i am not defined by the grades in my report book. the measure for character goes well beyond academics.

why i'm in MI? i would say i didn't particularly like the subject combination i took in secondary school, leading to my rather abysmal grades for o levels. i didn't enjoy learning back then. (oh, excuses)

Millennia allowed me to pursue my passion for Humanities. The school's Arts department is excellent!! Also, The teachers in MI are the most passionate and genuinely caring i've ever had in my entire learning journey.

I just wanna say,
i'm rather grateful for having 3 years to prepare for A levels. because quite frankly, i would rather spend 3 years savouring my learning than rushing a heckload of materials in 2 years. i know i'd probably break down.

yeah, oh well,
i do have biased opinions about my school.
but i genuinely am enjoying my learning so far.

i'm making the best out of what i have :smile: .

they say,
"a man who makes no mistakes makes nothing."
[/size][/size]

alternative
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:15 am

It's good to hear that you are enjoying your time at MI. We are still hoping to send our daughter there in 2014. She will also be doing Arts, so it's good to hear that the teaching is good.

Just a few questions: do you know of students who are given accommodations because of special needs? Are there students with dyslexia, Asperger's, ADHD etc? Do you know of anyone who is given extra time for exams, or allowed to use a PC in exams instead of writing? Or anyone in Arts who is exempted from doing Maths/Science (constrasting subject)?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees