Advice on JCs please!!

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Advice on JCs please!!

Postby Valerie Teoh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:28 pm

Need some advice from some parents/teachers!!!!

Firstly, this is my PRELIM 2 result that I've just got back except combined humanities (I think the teacher didn't manage to finish marking our paper~)

English: A2
Chinese ('O' Level): A1
E. Maths: A1
A. Maths: A1
Combined Science (Physics+Chemistry): A1
Combined Humanities (expected as from PRELIM 1): A1/A2
So my L1R5 is 7 or 8.
My CCA is A2 so got 2 bonus points.

I've submitted my DSA to Serangoon JC via leadership so if my L1R5<20 I can go into Serangoon JC automatically! :)
But some of my teachers said that I have potential to get into JCs like Anderson, Catholic or Nanyang. And I can still "change my mind" and go to MOE to cancel the DSA submission. (But I feel is not very nice to do that lah.)

I currently live in M'sia and travel daily to school (My school is in Yishun-Khatib area near Khoo Teck Puat Hospital there). I could go to Innova JC/Yishun JC because is near to M'sia. (Parents objected, although I feel that JC is like depended on ourselves.) Parents say I can go to Serangoon JC la, because my bus uncle send me to Yishun then I can take 854 direct to Serangoon JC in approx 25mins.

Anderson JC would have hostel which is an advantage but I afraid that I would get homesick and stuff like that plus I don't really like curfew hours! :(
Nanyang JC would be travelling via MRT to Lorong Chuan (30mins from Woodlands)
Catholic JC is somewhere near to TPY area, so travel by 966 from Woodlands about 40 mins.

I chose Serangoon JC in the first place because I've some friends going there so I won't be like "alone" and also I want to be in the student council (I DSA-ed into the Council).

Any advice?? Thanks so much!!

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Advice on JCs please!!

Postby twilight » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:10 pm

I think you can possibly get L1R5 of 6 for O levels, which will allow you to go into better JC. I'm not sure if you're planning to do science or arts stream.

Anyway, let me just say that JC school hours end very late, and I don't think it is such a good idea to commute day in and day out. Sometimes, if you have taxing CCAs, you can possibly be in school till 9 or even 10pm, so by the time you get home, it will be 11+pm (not sure where in Johor you live). The next day, you will have to leave at 6+am, which effectively leaves you with about 7 hours to sleep and do homework. If you think you can manage, then it's fine I guess.

Homesick is something everyone has to go through. I'm not sure if you're planning to go university overseas, but this will be a good opportunity to learn to live independently. Plus since your home is so close, you can go back every weekend. Not many people I know do that though, because life is really really busy. There's cca on weekends, PW, CIP, and all that. As for curfew hours, well what time is the curfew there? It's really not that bad a thing to have curfew. What do you plan to do every night? Party? I don't think you will have that much time for your own if you're in council anyway.

I believe after JAE, you will find that whatever school you chose, there will be your school mates there. That was what I experienced. And in the end, you still make new friends, and OGL usually do a good job in ensuring that you make new friends.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Meehoongoreng » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Hi Valerie, I must say that you've done exceptionally for your prelims ^^
Anyways, my pov is that the JCs don't really matter if you're willing to work hard (and I assume you are, judging from your prelim results).
I personally went to Jurong JC which was like 3 bus stops /15 mins walk away from my home just so that I could get ample rest in order to be focused during school hours.
Though my A level results weren't great (as in Doctor/Lawyer great), but I managed to get a place in NTU Biz School nevertheless.
So I'd say that you prolly should go with your heart ^^, and there are plenty of friends to be made whatever the JC.

Meehoongoreng
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Valerie Teoh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:38 pm

twilight wrote:I think you can possibly get L1R5 of 6 for O levels, which will allow you to go into better JC. I'm not sure if you're planning to do science or arts stream.

Anyway, let me just say that JC school hours end very late, and I don't think it is such a good idea to commute day in and day out. Sometimes, if you have taxing CCAs, you can possibly be in school till 9 or even 10pm, so by the time you get home, it will be 11+pm (not sure where in Johor you live). The next day, you will have to leave at 6+am, which effectively leaves you with about 7 hours to sleep and do homework. If you think you can manage, then it's fine I guess.

Homesick is something everyone has to go through. I'm not sure if you're planning to go university overseas, but this will be a good opportunity to learn to live independently. Plus since your home is so close, you can go back every weekend. Not many people I know do that though, because life is really really busy. There's cca on weekends, PW, CIP, and all that. As for curfew hours, well what time is the curfew there? It's really not that bad a thing to have curfew. What do you plan to do every night? Party? I don't think you will have that much time for your own if you're in council anyway.

I believe after JAE, you will find that whatever school you chose, there will be your school mates there. That was what I experienced. And in the end, you still make new friends, and OGL usually do a good job in ensuring that you make new friends.

HELLO Twilight :)

Thanks for the advices. Hmm, after reading it, JC really seem to be TOUGH!! :yikes:

Is true that with CCA and stuff like PW and school work I might end up going hoe at about 9 or 10 sometimes, which is OMG! :scared: Perhaps you're right, I should maybe like "try-out" to stay in a hostel or rent a room (Something along this line), be more independent! :D Will talk to parents about this and see what are their views (On finance also lah, not that rich. haha! Anderson's hostel not that cheap after checking with their office's staff and curfew is somewhere 9pm for weekdays) :)

Will consider really carefully. :thankyou:

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Valerie Teoh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Meehoongoreng wrote:Hi Valerie, I must say that you've done exceptionally for your prelims ^^
Anyways, my pov is that the JCs don't really matter if you're willing to work hard (and I assume you are, judging from your prelim results).
I personally went to Jurong JC which was like 3 bus stops /15 mins walk away from my home just so that I could get ample rest in order to be focused during school hours.
Though my A level results weren't great (as in Doctor/Lawyer great), but I managed to get a place in NTU Biz School nevertheless.
So I'd say that you prolly should go with your heart ^^, and there are plenty of friends to be made whatever the JC.

HI Meehoongoreng,

Thanks for the encouragement first.
Although I'm not interested in Biz courses but I'm really motivated to get into NTU and do Chemical and biomolecular Engineering or Civil Engineering. (My Goals lah, although my parents want me to do something health science related -.-)
Anyway, back to the main point, I LOVE THE LINE "go with your heart", sometimes I wish I could just follow what my heart say lor, although sometimes not possible lah.
I will work hard when I enter a JC (Be it a good JC or maybe neighbourhood JC)

THANKS! :D :thankyou:

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby twilight » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:29 pm

Valerie Teoh wrote:HELLO Twilight :)

Thanks for the advices. Hmm, after reading it, JC really seem to be TOUGH!! :yikes:

Is true that with CCA and stuff like PW and school work I might end up going hoe at about 9 or 10 sometimes, which is OMG! :scared: Perhaps you're right, I should maybe like "try-out" to stay in a hostel or rent a room (Something along this line), be more independent! :D Will talk to parents about this and see what are their views (On finance also lah, not that rich. haha! Anderson's hostel not that cheap after checking with their office's staff and curfew is somewhere 9pm for weekdays) :)

I have classmates who are currently renting a room outside, living all on their own. My friend from China used to rent a room from a friend when she was in secondary school, but now my school has boarding facilities, so she's staying in boarding school. She said it's much much more convenient and she doesn't have to cook and all that anymore. So yeah, you can consider renting a room. If you're afraid, maybe you can ask your friends if anyone has a room to spare and rent from them.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Valerie Teoh » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:39 pm

twilight wrote:
Valerie Teoh wrote:HELLO Twilight :)

I have classmates who are currently renting a room outside, living all on their own. My friend from China used to rent a room from a friend when she was in secondary school, but now my school has boarding facilities, so she's staying in boarding school. She said it's much much more convenient and she doesn't have to cook and all that anymore. So yeah, you can consider renting a room. If you're afraid, maybe you can ask your friends if anyone has a room to spare and rent from them.

Oh, OK! I will consider.
My parents actually say that hostel is better lah, got tutor to SUPERVISE us, meaning no playing the fool :P
But :moneyflies: Haha... Will see how it goes then. :D Thanks!!

Valerie Teoh
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby emoh » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:17 am

Valerie Teoh wrote:
Oh, OK! I will consider.
My parents actually say that hostel is better lah, got tutor to SUPERVISE us, meaning no playing the fool :P
But :moneyflies: Haha... Will see how it goes then. :D Thanks!!

I think a hostel environment would be more suitable. You can check out CJC hostel as well.

http://www.cjc.edu.sg/cos/o.x?c=/wbn/pa ... id=1081986

emoh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees