Selecting a Junior College

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Elrek01
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: A level result help

Post by Elrek01 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:54 am

I've read about the NYP HealthScience course for A level holder.
http://www.nyp.edu.sg/future-students/a ... h-sciences

But I have some doubts, whats their admission criteria? coz i cant seem to find the IGP for those courses. And the degree obtain after 4 years is it the same as those from university?

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:55 am

Elrek01 wrote:I've read about the NYP HealthScience course for A level holder.

But I've some doubts, whats their admission criteria? coz i cant seem to find the IGP for those courses. And the degree obtain after 4 years is it the same as those from university?
yes

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:27

Post by havok_ex » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 am

But I have some doubts, whats their admission criteria? coz i cant seem to find the IGP for those courses. And the degree obtain after 4 years is it the same as those from university?
The NYP programme is a 3+1. Meaning that you will spend 3 years in NYP doing a diploma. And 1 year doing a degree in an overseas uni or at SIT, the new local uni.

I understand that it seems doubtful. But theres no need to be. Everyone in the course will be bonded to MOHH and you will graduate with a job. As long as you keep your grades up.

If you feel that the diploma + top-up is weird. You can just apply directly to SIT. Some info here:
http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/health- ... iences-hss

Under the new system, you will spend 4 years at SIT getting a degree. So instead of a 3+1, its a direct 4 year degree. The content and job opportunities will be the same as the 3+1 NYP route.

It shouldn't be that hard to get in. I know a few people who couldn't make the cut into local uni that ended up in NYP's 3+1 programme and are doing pretty well for themselves. Their minimum requirements is at least 2 H2 science passes. But of course, you will be admitted based on the competition. But as long as you get an average of all Cs, you should be admitted easily. There is no IGP because its not a huge intake IMO.

pirated
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:122

Post by pirated » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:46 pm

havok_ex wrote:

The NYP programme is a 3+1. Meaning that you will spend 3 years in NYP doing a diploma. And 1 year doing a degree in an overseas uni or at SIT, the new local uni.

I understand that it seems doubtful. But theres no need to be. Everyone in the course will be bonded to MOHH and you will graduate with a job. As long as you keep your grades up.

If you feel that the diploma + top-up is weird. You can just apply directly to SIT. Some info here:
http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/health- ... iences-hss

Under the new system, you will spend 4 years at SIT getting a degree. So instead of a 3+1, its a direct 4 year degree. The content and job opportunities will be the same as the 3+1 NYP route.

It shouldn't be that hard to get in. I know a few people who couldn't make the cut into local uni that ended up in NYP's 3+1 programme and are doing pretty well for themselves. Their minimum requirements is at least 2 H2 science passes. But of course, you will be admitted based on the competition. But as long as you get an average of all Cs, you should be admitted easily. There is no IGP because its not a huge intake IMO.
let me add on a little on this:

the NYP diploma is vetted by the overseas uni to be rigorous enough to go straight to 4th year for direct conversion to their degree, and the overseas uni is vetted by MOHH to be suitable to send the students there for gold plating and bond them when they are back

let's put it this way - such DEGREE courses are not available in SG, so the NYP is like a bridging course and MOHH is happy to recognise the overseas degree and save some resources from NUS / NTU in trying to cater to a small cohort that is needed in the local healthcare scene

mindays
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:59

Re: Picking the Right JC

Post by mindays » Wed May 11, 2016 4:59 pm

True enough, value-add is important.

I have sources about NYJC's A Level 2015 Math's Distinction Rate. The percentage of students getting 'As' for H2 Mathematics is well above 60%. NYJC's math paper is comparable to HCI too.

In summary
HCI's distinction rate is approx. 80%
RI's distinction rate is approx. 75%
NY's distinction rate is approx. 65%

Do share information if you know :)

grownupbaby
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Advice on JCs please!!

Post by grownupbaby » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 pm

paranoidgirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Dilemma in choosing a JC.

Post by paranoidgirl » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 pm

Hi everyone! I got my O level results yesterday and my L1R5 is 9 raw, 7 nett.

My dream school was always NYJC (science) but I didn't make the cut. AJC is very convenient to my house (a direct bus ride of 15 mins) and I do meet the cut-off. I do have a direct bus to NY too, but the bus stop is a few minutes walk from the school.

I'm not sure if I should put NY as my first choice or AJ. If I put NY as first and AJ as second, and if both reject me, logically I'd appeal to AJ as the new cut would definitely be nearer. But I'm afraid that they would not consider my appeal, as they give priority to those who placed the school as their first choice.

But if I put AJ as first choice and if NY really drops to 7 points I'll hate myself forever lol. Highly unlikely though. I spoke to a NY tutor just now and she said last year they had 5,000 applicants to NY and they only accepted 600. And I'm sure there'll be more this year with all the hype and advertising done for the sch :/

So pls do give me your advice/what you'd do if you were in my predicament!!! And perhaps let me know a little more about the culture of the sch/performance at A levels?

I know AJ is very run down but that doesn't bother me. We go to school to study anyway, not for aesthetics.

Thank you in advance!!

mindays
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:59

Re: Dilemma in choosing a JC.

Post by mindays » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Hello, congratulations on your superb results and I am sorry if this has been a late reply. Having a 7 nett IMO will be safe for AJC's Science. Though it is tough to get into NY's Science, you stand a chance if you put NY (science) as the first choice. There's no harm, because 7 nett can easily get yourself a place in AJC. All the best!

NotEducatedMan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by NotEducatedMan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:58 pm

lesleer wrote:
sinoboy wrote:
mama of 2 wrote:How many percent of O level student eligibility for Edusave scholarship for Integrated Programme? Does it included provide student too?
5%. I think yes. But how do they count? Based on l1r5 only?
top 5% based on l1r5 only, cause ESIP is only for independent JCs. If the student is eligible for ESIP, it will be indicated at the bottom of their Form A. From the MOE website: "Within the top 5% of all students who sat for the O-Level Examinations (Based on L1R5 scores)"
Top __% based on raw or nett score?
If based on nett.. Meaning all the "top academic" raw 6 pointer (with no bonus point, no HMT, no affiliation)) lose out to those eg. 7-4=3 or even 8-4=4 nett?

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:5

Post by emoh » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:05 am

NotEducatedMan wrote:
lesleer wrote:
sinoboy wrote: 5%. I think yes. But how do they count? Based on l1r5 only?
top 5% based on l1r5 only, cause ESIP is only for independent JCs. If the student is eligible for ESIP, it will be indicated at the bottom of their Form A. From the MOE website: "Within the top 5% of all students who sat for the O-Level Examinations (Based on L1R5 scores)"
Top __% based on raw or nett score?
If based on nett.. Meaning all the "top academic" raw 6 pointer (with no bonus point, no HMT, no affiliation)) lose out to those eg. 7-4=3 or even 8-4=4 nett?
https://www.moe.gov.sg/education/edusav ... ls/esip-jc

Within the top 5% of all students who sat for the O-Level Examinations (Based on L1R5 scores before any bonus points)