Which poly is better for accountancy?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Which poly is better for accountancy?

Postby heutistmeintag » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:57 am

My son wants to be (or at least now he thinks he wants to be) an accountant in the future. As we stays in changi, the most convenient poly would be TP. However we keep hearing advice that SP is better for this course and of course, there is also some advocates for the JC route to a (local) degree in the future. He is expecting his L1R4 to be around 10-14 points.

Any advice and comments would be much appreciated.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Which poly is better for accountancy?

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:02 am

Any advice?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ssmummy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:45 pm

I would go for SP... ;-)

ssmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:05 pm

ssmummy wrote:I would go for SP... ;-)

Thanks for responding, ssmummy. Any reasons or feedback why you say so?

Some friends told me SP has better prestige, their programs are more mature and lecturers more experience. The distance needed to travel is IMHO too far and he could use the time to study/rest instead.

Still, I would be glad to hear more feedback. His prelim results for L1R4 is
EL1 - C5
E Maths - A1
A Maths - A1
Principle of Accounting - A2
Combined Science - A2
Humanities - B4

If I used it as a guage,
For poly path, L1R4 should 9 (minus 2 points from CCA). Options include TP and SP.
For JC path, which I think is a harder one based on his current subject strengths, L1R5 should be 13 (minus 2 points from CCA). Options include SRJC and TPJC.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby alng » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 pm

Hi heutistmeintag

If your son is aiming for accountancy in the local uni, I think going to JC stands a better chance. Looking at his maths and combined science results, he can go to a JC and do well in A levels. The COP for NTU accountancy is AAB (AAA at 90th percentile so this COP may change anytime).

If he goes to a poly, he has to score a GPA of above 3.8 out of 4 (safer to be above 3.9) in order to get into NTU accountancy, for example. It is not easy to maintain a near perfect GPA throughout the 3-year in poly.

I am not too sure of the COP for SMU and NUS but it should not be very far off.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:33 pm

heutistmeintag wrote:
His prelim results for L1R4 is
EL1 - C5
E Maths - A1
A Maths - A1
Principle of Accounting - A2
Combined Science - A2
Humanities - B4

If I used it as a guage,
For poly path, L1R4 should 9 (minus 2 points from CCA). Options include TP and SP.
For JC path, which I think is a harder one based on his current subject strengths, L1R5 should be 13 (minus 2 points from CCA). Options include SRJC and TPJC.

Think he is likely to get around 11 for L1R5 for the actual O levels (if no hiccups like illnesses, mood swing, etc).

From his prelim results, it seems like your child is not so linguistically inclined and may not do well enough in JC. Results seem to reflect a more 'hands on' child who may thrive better with enthusiasm in poly environment.

I would think you look at his actual results. If he manages a B3 at the end for EL1, then continue to ponder over JC, else maybe poly maybe a better bet. Struggling with the main GP subject in JC is a very demoralising journey even though the child may flare well in other subjects.

I have seen enough A level children who transferred to poly after their A levels when they do not do well enough in their final exams and therefore no chance to shoot at the local unis. Some transferred after their first year and some transferred after their final exam results.

If still can't decide, then just send your child into JC first then decide on second year whether to do the transfer to poly. At least ever tried though it means one more year.

Pertaining to your original question, I gathered that NP is better than SP anytime for business courses if location is not too far away for your child. As there are conflicting info here, you may need to research more into it to get the 'final verdict'.

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby 2hotTOhandle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:14 am

During my time Ngee Ann poly was the only poly that offered Accountancy. Some of us did well enough to get into NTU and many got into universities in Australia/SIM. I believe you could get exempted from first yr in the australian unis with a diploma. NTU did not give us any exemptions. Some of my friends went on to complete ACCA while working.

So there are a few routes to consider if your son goes to Poly. If your son does not get good results for his A levels I personally feel it is tough to get into NTU Accountancy. Of cos he could also consider ACCA or foreign unis but the diploma would have given him a better foundation in accountancy than A levels.

2hotTOhandle
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby regineyou » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:23 am

[quote="2hotTOhandle"]During my time Ngee Ann poly was the only poly that offered Accountancy. Some of us did well enough to get into NTU and many got into universities in Australia/SIM. I believe you could get exempted from first yr in the australian unis with a diploma. NTU did not give us any exemptions. Some of my friends went on to complete ACCA while working.

Hi am new here :) During your time is when? am interested in education history :p

regineyou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 pm

What a surprise, his results turned out so different from expectations.

Subjects - (Prelim) O level
=================
EL1 - (C5) A2
E Maths - (A1) A1
A Maths - (A1) A2
Principle of Accounting - (A2) B4
Combined Science - (A2) A1
Humanities - (B4) B3
Literature - (C5) B3

L1R5 - 12, after CCA, 10
L1R4 - 9, after CCA 7.

Now he wants to go JC :slapshead: and eyeing MJC although the COP is 9. Anyone thinks he shouldnt waste his time trying and perhaps appealing?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:44 pm

What a surprise, his results turned out so different from expectations.

Subjects - (Prelim) O level
=================
EL1 - (C5) A2
E Maths - (A1) A1
A Maths - (A1) A2
Principle of Accounting - (A2) B4
Combined Science - (A2) A1
Humanities - (B4) B3
Literature - (C5) B3

L1R5 - 12, after CCA, 10
L1R4 - 9, after CCA 7.

Now he wants to go JC :slapshead: and eyeing MJC although the COP is 9. Anyone thinks he shouldnt waste his time trying and perhaps appealing?

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees