GP Prep

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

GP Prep

Postby yoyoyozxc » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 am

Hi all.

I am a sec 4 student awaiting my O's results. All the while I've been writing narratives for my compositions. Argumentative in sec sch is a challenge for me.
I am sure I'll be going into a JC next year.

So the question is,
How do I prepare for GP in JC so that I will be able to catch up?
Read newspaper/model essays? Any recommendations?

Re: GP Prep

Postby Haneyi » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Here are some blogs you may want to take a look at, I found them very informative:

Hope that helps.
Thank you.

Postby mensch » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

Two areas you can start working on are 1) content and 2) structure of argumentative essays.

For content, you can do an online search or flip through past year GP papers to get a sense of essay question types. There's a broad range but many of them concern ethics, politics, local challenges and thoughts about the humanities and sciences. This will give you a sense of issues to follow. Then you can look out for them in online newspaper headlines or watch related videos that interest you on sites like, and

For structure, it's basically an expansion of the few months' worth of argumentative essays you would have covered in Sec 3 or 4. It's meant to be a bridge toward academic writing, with long(er) paragraphs, topic sentences, and detailed analysis of examples. You can find sample essays online and also read opinion columns from world newspapers and magazines like Time and the Economist.

Hope that helps!

Postby KRTC @ Simei » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Covering a multitude of pertinent topics from human rights, globalisation to social media, the lessons will help you gain an international perspective and translate that information into forceful arguments to score DISTINCTION. The 6-step CSJODO approach to answering questions and A-grade summary skills will be taught among others. Students will be provided with very comprehensive notes obtained from reputable resources. :boogie:

Feel free to browse our website and Facebook to find out more on the programme. If you have any questions, we would love to hear from you. Talk to us at our hotline or drop by for a chat.

KRTC Simei
HOTLINE: 6789 0440
Email :
3 Simei St 6 East Point Mall #06-05 Singapore 528833

KRTC @ Simei

Postby mymj » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:27 am

Read up on internet articles, newspapers, sample essays, etc
Also, check out compilations of evidences available online.

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees