Animation course in polytechnic

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Animation course in polytechnic

Postby kiasuursula » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:42 pm

I wonder which polytechnic offer a better art animation course?
Currently thinking between ngee ann poly and nanyang poly.

:? :? :?

:thankyou:

kiasuursula
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Animation course in polytechnic

Postby jen.95 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Nanyang Poly is better in animation. If you track back the history, Nanyang Poly's Digital Media Design have won many awards.

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby schweppes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm

NYP's digital media courses have a longer history than NP. The students' works have also been featured in a few of PM Lee's National Day rally speeches.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby kiasuursula » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Thank you for the comments~ :smile:

Btw, I'm just wondering,
based on last year COP,
NYP has a higher COP(18) than NP(15, I think), both courses are about the same, something do with animation and 3D arts,
then shldn't NYP has a lower COP since it would more of a popular choice in animation, looking at the number of awards they received. :?

Isn't it more competitive to get it?
(not judging the courses by their COP, just curious) :scratchhead:

kiasuursula
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xiaostar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm

xiaostar
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jen.95 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:24 am

kiasuursula wrote:Thank you for the comments~ :smile:

Btw, I'm just wondering,
based on last year COP,
NYP has a higher COP(18) than NP(15, I think), both courses are about the same, something do with animation and 3D arts,
then shldn't NYP has a lower COP since it would more of a popular choice in animation, looking at the number of awards they received. :?

To answer your question, you should not look at the COP to determine if it is a better course.

COP is the score of the last person who get into the course. Lets say Course A in XX poly have 200 intakes while in YY poly have 400 intakes. Naturally, YY poly would probably have a higher COP but that does not mean that YY poly is lousier as compared to XX poly.

Sometimes, among many other factors, people tends to go for the poly they like (or deemed to be reputable and good) instead of what the poly is good at. That also explained why some of the course, like Digital Media Design, as mentioned above have a higher COP.

My advice to you is not to let COP determines the choice of poly your are going into. Look at the awards they earn, the module descriptions on what you will learn etc. Low COP does not indicate best course, it just indicate the popularity among the applicants.

Just my 2 cents.

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasuursula » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am

jen.95 wrote:
kiasuursula wrote:Thank you for the comments~ :smile:

Btw, I'm just wondering,
based on last year COP,

To answer your question, you should not look at the COP to determine if it is a better course.

COP is the score of the last person who get into the course. Lets say Course A in XX poly have 200 intakes while in YY poly have 400 intakes. Naturally, YY poly would probably have a higher COP but that does not mean that YY poly is lousier as compared to XX poly.

Sometimes, among many other factors, people tends to go for the poly they like (or deemed to be reputable and good) instead of what the poly is good at. That also explained why some of the course, like Digital Media Design, as mentioned above have a higher COP.

My advice to you is not to let COP determines the choice of poly your are going into. Look at the awards they earn, the module descriptions on what you will learn etc. Low COP does not indicate best course, it just indicate the popularity among the applicants.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the comment~
I see... understood.
As i stated in my previous course, I am not judging the course/poly by its COP, just curious, but thanks for the advice~ :wink:

kiasuursula
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasuursula » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 am

Harsh truth huh?
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Indeed it's hard to succeed in Singapore with arts.
Small market...
buts that's where the passion lies in :sweat:

Still it's enjoyable to read,
Thanks for the comment~

:lol: :lol: :lol:

kiasuursula
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jen.95 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

To TS, I do hope that you would enjoy the animation course.

FYI, I have friends in Multimedia & Animation (it used to be called Multimedia Computing) and Digital Media Design.

From what I have heard from them, animation is tough and you must have the passion in art, design and drawing. Without those, and with the thoughts that I just want to design some fantastic animation video, it will be hard to survive. They told me that during the first semester, many of them drop-out as some simply cannot take the stress, they have no passion in design or drawing but just enter because they think it is cool to do animation.

As for further education (to earn a degree), you could either go overseas, NTU doing Fine Arts(Animation), Lasalle College of Arts, or Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts.

For more first-hand information, you may go for JAE counselling (on the day of the 'O' Level result release day) to get first hand information from the design school lecturers.

jen.95
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees