Regarding poly entry to local Uni

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Regarding poly entry to local Uni

Postby Serene1234 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:45 pm

I have graduated from my secondary school a couple of month ago. Although i have yet to receive my o level results, I expected my raw L1R5 to be around 7/8. Personally, I dont feel like going to JC because I am not keen to take science course in Jc. As for the art course, I am not so interested also because i think it is a waste of time to memorise things which I wont put into good use in my future career. Basically, I aimed to be an accountant/ financial analyst/ banker in the future and hope to build up my foundation as early as possible. I am actually aiming for accountancy in Singapore polytechnic or ngee ann poly because I have heard many gd comments from these 2 poly business school. Well, I have already set my mind on going to a polytechnic. So now I need to advice your comments about polytechnic entry to local UNI( my aim is to be the top 10% cohort of the accountancy course in SMU). So may i know what should I do in poly for me to secure a place in SMU, and learning as much things as I could? How many hrs should I set aside everyday after lesson to revise? And is it compulsory to take CCAs in poly? ( currently thinking of taking current affair and debating club in SP as my CCA). Other than that do I need to participate in other program? I heard that SP has a program that allows pointers and below for raw score to participate, helping them to clinch as much honour as possible in their yrs in SP...So what is the % of poly accountancy / banking and financial students admitted to local Uni every yr? How did this students fare as compared to students who went to Uni through the JC route? Do advice me some advice.....

Serene1234
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Regarding poly entry to local Uni

Postby Skyed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm

I hope you're aware that out of all poly students, only 15% QUALIFY for admission into local U, and only 5% are actually accepted into local U. One of my friends who is going into banking in the future is going to study in science stream in hwa chong.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Skyed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Oh, and for JC students, if I'm not wrong 70% qualify for local U. Either 70 or 80%. Not sure how many % accepted.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Serene1234 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am

Skyed wrote:I hope you're aware that out of all poly students, only 15% QUALIFY for admission into local U, and only 5% are actually accepted into local U. One of my friends who is going into banking in the future is going to study in science stream in hwa chong.

Then where did other 10% go???? :boogie: :imcool: I am really not going to JC cos in JC, there is not much subjects that i liked... Anyway, just tells u sth..a few day ago ,I went to give tuition at ang mo kio, there is a bus to hwa jc, actually want to take a look at hwa jc, but instead too lazy to take the bus to hwa jc and so I took mrt home w/o looking at hwa jc...

Serene1234
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Skyed » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 am

O.o why are you telling me about your bus incident? It's not even related to the topic.

No idea on the 10%, I suppose they go out to work/continue studies.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Serene1234 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 am

Hais, although 3/4 of jc students went to Uni, I still hope to go to poly to take accountancy....Now, my problem is how to excel in poly, as in everyday need to spend how long to revise after lessons etc??>>>...Btw, just tell u my cousin who got L1R5 of 7, with english A2 went to ngee ann poly to take some business course...As for me, ..Here will be roughly the sequence I will put after receving my results..
1. Singapore poly accountancy
2.Ngee Ann poly accountancy
3. Singapore poly banking and financial service
4. Ngee Ann poly banking and financial Service
5. National JC arts
6. National JC science
7. Anderson jc science
8. Nanyang JC science
9. Catholic jc science
10. Hwa Chong jc arts
11. Singapore Business Innovation and Design
12.ACJC science( their reputation is deteriorating, as in the XXX videos posted)

Serene1234
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby alng » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am

Serene,

If you hope to do accountancy in a local uni, it is easier via the JC route. If you go to poly, you need at least a GPA of 3.9 (out of 4) to safely secure a place in NTU accountancy, for example.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hercules » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Serene

Think there are Open Houses in polys coming up soon (I hope they are not over yet?). During these events, there are course counsellors available to answer your queries.

If you can make it to the accountant course in poly, your results must be quite good. If you are willing to work hard, esp with interest, you have a higher chance of entering local university as compared to maybe you dont flare well in JC cos you are not interested in those more academic subjects.

Accountancy course in local universities basically require good grades, whether you are from JC or from poly, to begin with.

Judging by your keen interest to pursue an accountancy career in future, the poly route looks sensible enough for you to take (check about advance standing in local universities if you are entering each from poly).

So, first thing first is to ensure that you secure a grade good enough to make it to the Accountancy course in SP or NP. It is not an easy course to enter in the first place.

If you go to the Open Houses, ask them % of accountancy students entering local universities. My take is at least 30% of each cohort. These students are well trained. In the event that you fail to secure a place in local universities after you graduate and also cannot afford an overseas education, then working part time while pursuing ACCA is a viable route (with interest, every route is a road to success). Your poly accountancy qualifications worth some salt in the market even if you want to start working and self studying from there after graduating (this is in fact one of the best route to make money while doing part time studying - gaining money and experience at the same time).

About how to prepare yourself in poly to be top 10%, just put in the same efforts that you did when you were doing your O levels. You definitely need CCA too!

Choose your battlefield. One has to decide whether they want to compete with the thousands of A level students eyeing at the Accountancy course in local universities or that few hundreds poly students eyeing the same. My take is the absolute chance of each group is about the same.

Good luck!

hercules
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Serene1234 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 pm

alng wrote:Serene,

If you hope to do accountancy in a local uni, it is easier via the JC route. If you go to poly, you need at least a GPA of 3.9 (out of 4) to safely secure a place in NTU accountancy, for example.

Then how abt SMU?

Serene1234
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby alng » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Serene,

COP for NUS - http://www.post1.net/biow/entry/2011_in ... s_for_2012

COP for NTU - http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_fil ... 13_IGP.pdf

COP for SMU - http://www.post1.net/biow/entry/2011_in ... s_for_2012

The COP for JC students is based on 3-4 subjects of one exam. The COP for poly students is based on number of subjects X no of years in poly.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees