L1R5 7 (Need help deciding which Junior College to apply)

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

L1R5 7 (Need help deciding which Junior College to apply)

Postby cannot_make_up_my_mind » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Got my O level results today and my L1R5 stood at 7 after CCA 2 point deduction.
English - B3
SS/Geog - A2
Math - A1
A Math - A1
Physics - A1
Chemistry - A1
Biology - A1
Chinese - A1

I am definitely going for science stream (BCME) but have difficulty deciding which JC to go for. Currently, these are my choices.

- ACJC
- TJC
- MJC
- AJC
- NYJC
- SAJC

BTW, I live in the East. I need advice on the learning environment for each JC and whether I can still enter ACJC or TJC even though their science stream COP is 6.
Thanks.

cannot_make_up_my_mind
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: L1R5 7 (Need help deciding which Junior College to apply

Postby Skyed » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm in a similar position to you, got 7 raw, after deduction 5. Don't know if there's chance to appeal to VJC Science..

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby twilight » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:19 pm

It is unlikely that you will get into TJC. TJC cut off is 6, and ACJC was 6 last year but it was 7 once, so not sure what it will be this year. Even if it's 7, the chances are a bit low because -4 will get priority over -2 in JAE queue. ACJC is not known to be very strong in science though.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby bandmate » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

cannot_make_up_my_mind wrote:Got my O level results today and my L1R5 stood at 7 after CCA 2 point deduction.
English - B3
SS/Geog - A2
Math - A1
A Math - A1
Physics - A1
Chemistry - A1
Biology - A1
Chinese - A1

I am definitely going for science stream (BCME) but have difficulty deciding which JC to go for. Currently, these are my choices.

- ACJC
- TJC
- MJC
- AJC
- NYJC
- SAJC

BTW, I live in the East. I need advice on the learning environment for each JC and whether I can still enter ACJC or TJC even though their science stream COP is 6.
Thanks.

You can try, the COP for arts stream is 7, you can try entering then appealing your stream to science if you want, but that is a risk. If you have notable achievements in science then your chances are higher.

bandmate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby qwertywy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:07 am

AJC is a good choice for you!
Teachers are caring and people mug openly(not secretly behind your back and claim that they hate muggers!).
Students often study together and will help each other in studies too!!

qwertywy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lmagel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 am

MJC/NYJC.
I prefer MJC over other schools. Got net 4 points, most probably going to MJC.
Why? Mugger environment with crazy teachers. Push you to your limit and feed you for PW until you get A.

lmagel
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby rylee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Skyed wrote:I'm in a similar position to you, got 7 raw, after deduction 5. Don't know if there's chance to appeal to VJC Science..

Hi Skyed, my son got a similar situation as u. 7 raw and after CcA deduction is 5. (no HMT). He got 7A1 and 1 A2 (English). He wants to go VJ too. Do u think got chance to appeal?

Thanks.

rylee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Interestinggg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Speaking from experience, ACJC and TJC might not accept you, depending on the range of l1r5 of the students who apply in (eg. if a lot of 6points and below apply in, chances of 7 getting accepted are even lower compared to if lesser 6pointers and below apply in) But you could try listing them as your first choice and see how it goes. If you really want AC or VJ and didn't get it, you'll have to appeal using your CCA, leadership, academics, service, etc qualities that you have. I (am a student) have appealed to a JC before as I had l1r5 of 5 after -2 for CCA, I appealed into NJ (COP 5) but my CCA record wasn't as stellar as other student who appealed. So if your CCA record is strong, there are higher chances that you'll get accepted into appeal. For the other JCs, you're pretty much secure.

Btw, AC's sciences are not bad. Their Biology and Chemistry department is strong. Not sure about the physics department. Arts and humanities department is pretty good too. The teachers generally push the students and edge them on, giving loads of notes (and extra classes if students require more help). Good and dedicated teachers, I must say.

All the best!

PS. try not to enter the school using arts and try to switch to science stream as it's very risky. A friend of mine did just that and they didn't allow him to switch stream. He had to endure one year in arts and decided to switch to science stream by repeating J1 as a retainee.

Interestinggg
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby loverangel1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi! I'm a current J2 student at ACJC. Taking BCMLit. From experience, the chem and esp the bio dept in ac is pretty good. The bio dept head is a no nonsense lady who makes us stand at the door and answer bio ques if we're five mins late for lecture. The physics dept honestly is pretty bad from what I hear from my schoolmates. You must have the passion for econs if not its not easy. Many friends of mine are struggling big time with it. The humanities dept is superb. Lit and drama elective programme is helmed by mrs geetha creffield, former national debator, ex head of spore debate association and coach of spore national debate teams for many many many years. I see that u got 7 for o's. congrats! U can definitely give ac a shot but pls be warned that it is always advisable to get at least 1 point below the cut off as cut off is a partial. Idk the cut off for this yr but most likely will remain 6? Cause the last a's the sch did really well...however u can go art stream first than switch stream ONLY if your sciences are mostly a1 and some a2. Overall ac is one big family and u won't regret choosing it. Hope to see u on 1st February! :D

loverangel1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees