L1R5 7 desperately needing advice on which jc to apply for;(

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

L1R5 7 desperately needing advice on which jc to apply for;(

Postby jesstingwugui » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi all, just got my GCE O's results on the 10th. Though i won't say that my results are bad but its really not very satisfactory... it's really giving me a big headache now over which Junior College to apply to. So i was hoping to get some advice from this site to help me make a more informed choice and decision:)
My results are as the follows:
EL: A2
CL:A1
HCL:A2
Com. Humans(E.Hist & SS): A1
Pure Geog: A1
A Math:A1
E Math : A1
Physics: A1
Bio:A1
Chemistry:A2
L1R5 7. After deduction of bonus pts is 3
I'm intending to go to the science stream in jc so it would be great if anyone out there could give me some advice on what to consider! Thanks in advance!!:)

jesstingwugui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: L1R5 7 desperately needing advice on which jc to apply f

Postby Mayugod » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 pm

Go to www.gothere.sg
see whether vj or nj is closer.
choose the closer one.
might want to put first choice rj for a slight chance of entering.
Mayugod
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jesstingwugui » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:21 pm

Both vjc and njc are pretty far for me. The journey for both is more than an hour. And yes I was thinking of putting raffles as my first choice and hwachong the second but im rather worried since im not too sure of my chances of getting accepted. To what i know there are lots of people applying for raffles as their first choice so my chances are relatively slim. As for hwachong most people are placing it as their second choice so i was wondering if i placed it as my first, would i stand a better chance of getting accepted?
By the way, do you know anything about njc? I'm thinking of placing it as my 3rd choice but according to my friend's senior, the teachers there aren't exactly very dedicated.(Not meaning to offend anyone but thats what i heard.)
Thanks for the advice btw! :smile:

jesstingwugui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby isadoralizzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:32 pm

jesstingwugui wrote:Both vjc and njc are pretty far for me. The journey for both is more than an hour. And yes I was thinking of putting raffles as my first choice and hwachong the second but im rather worried since im not too sure of my chances of getting accepted. To what i know there are lots of people applying for raffles as their first choice so my chances are relatively slim. As for hwachong most people are placing it as their second choice so i was wondering if i placed it as my first, would i stand a better chance of getting accepted?
By the way, do you know anything about njc? I'm thinking of placing it as my 3rd choice but according to my friend's senior, the teachers there aren't exactly very dedicated.(Not meaning to offend anyone but thats what i heard.)
Thanks for the advice btw! :smile:

njc's teachers are more dedicated with more teachers coming in, there are always students having consultation with the teachers ( if that's what you mean, though I have no idea what for?). And most of the teachers are definitely nice and if one manages to be a teacher's favourite - usually due to results and attitude, it places them at a very high advantage

isadoralizzy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Neus048 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey isadoralizzy! :) are you from nj? I'm considering it as one of my choices & if possible could you share how it is like there, thank you!

jesstingwugui, I think you should try for rj or hc, I'm sure you'll be able to get in through appeals, you did score quite well :D. As for rj/ hc, might want to choose based on distance & convenience. If you're planning on appealing, you should put the one you'd like to get in most as first choice for sure. Good luck!! :)

Neus048
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby isadoralizzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:58 pm

Neus048 wrote:Hey isadoralizzy! :) are you from nj? I'm considering it as one of my choices & if possible could you share how it is like there, thank you!

jesstingwugui, I think you should try for rj or hc, I'm sure you'll be able to get in through appeals, you did score quite well :D. As for rj/ hc, might want to choose based on distance & convenience. If you're planning on appealing, you should put the one you'd like to get in most as first choice for sure. Good luck!! :)

Erm yes, I'm from nj. The schools' facilities good, i guess... obviously, you can't compare to those in universities. The teachers are quite dedicated - it really depends on who your teachers are really. But because, i'm actually quite close to my JH teachers, I can ask them to help me too :) Most of the teachers are friendly.

The downside is that nj is really strict with their rules - but of course, we can always find the loopholes.
The student body is great, people are friendly and everyone will willingly help each other out. There will definitely be the quiet ones, but they are also many who are quiet outspoken. And if you can make an impression (a good one, obviously), you'll get a lot of opportunities :)

You've probably heard that the students mug alot? Honestly, I don't really see that prevalence in our cohort - it's mostly the mainstream students

isadoralizzy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby isadoralizzy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Neus048 wrote:Hey isadoralizzy! :) are you from nj? I'm considering it as one of my choices & if possible could you share how it is like there, thank you!

btw, where do you live?

isadoralizzy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jesstingwugui » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am

I'm now pondering over whether to place hwachong or raffles as my first choice since it really does matter... But distance wise, raffles is definitely more convenient. As for appealing, the vice principal at raffles told us that to appeal we need to have something thats really special and outstanding apart from academics since everyone applying for raffles is really bright. But my cca achievements aren't very outstanding and i dont have any talents to boast of...
Man! how i wish i just got an A1 for my language... Everything would be so much easier:(
Oh btw, there are 12 choices in the JAE Exercise but im still quite unsure of what to put as my other 10 choices... A little help here!:P :sweat:

jesstingwugui
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Neus048 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:48 pm

isadoralizzy wrote:
btw, where do you live?

Hi, thanks for sharing :). I'll probably be entering NJC! I live in Serangoon area, it's not very near njc but neither is it near VJC (which was my other consideration). Look forward to starting school there :lol:

jessting, I think you should just place RJC as first choice & hope for the best when you appeal, over HC based on distance alone - I think both schools are more or less equally matched academic wise. As for your other choices/ safety net, I think you could consider VJC, TJC, NJC, ACJC, etc etc, or ACSIB. Should be able to get into most without any problems. All the best! :smile:

Neus048
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:33 am

Good luck to your RJC choice. Do not feel sad if you have to come to our school (NJC), there are nice teachers and students there.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees