URGENTLY: adivse on selection of JC with net score of 6

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

URGENTLY: adivse on selection of JC with net score of 6

Postby aa2000 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:22 pm

My daughter lives in west with net score of 6 in O level 2013. She wants to pursure science. Wants to get some advise on selection of school between ACJC, AJC and TJC.

1. ACJC is close from home but since I am not from affiliated school feel disconnected and also got some adverse feedback about culture and poor science faculty particularly physics.

2. AJC is relatively far (17 km) but may be good for sciences. I have less inclination to go there since COP is still lower (8) than what I got and I feel if I deserve better.

3. TJC is far from my place (about 25 km with 1.5 hour door to door travel time). I am impressed with the school. But distance wise little nervous.

I would like an advise from experience of other parents or students about my dilemma.

Urgent advise requested since I have another two days to finalize my choice.

aa2000

aa2000
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: URGENTLY: adivse on selection of JC with net score of 6

Postby yoyoyozxc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:55 pm

hi. i am thinking that you're not asking on behalf of your daughter but instead, for yourself. (you gave it away)

i sought opinions from my cousins who are in the working field now. one was from hwachong, the other from temasek. both said that they regretted not going to ACJC because apparently, ACJCians are well-connected and most of them are very well-off. so if you were to enter ACJC, the chances of you making it far in the future will be high. working is not all about academics and brains but relies on how wide ur network is. this will open many doors to you as opportunities are aplenty.

temasek is very academically-inclined... as you will already know.
anderson is quite mugger-rish. i don't see any energy in their open houses. as you have mentioned, they are strong in their sciences.

all the best. i live in the east and score a 6 net. i'm putting TJC as my first choice.

i will recommend you put ACJC since it's near for you.

yoyoyozxc
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Skyed » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:59 pm

1.5 hours not worth the travel. ACJC and AJC, the former are the play play types, they do well because they're rich enough to afford tuition (apparently). AJC, they just mug. Their mugging standards comparable to NJC hahahahaha xD

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby loverangel1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 am

Hi! I'm currently a j2 in acjc. I was not from an affiliated school but fitted in well. However it's advisable to have a friend from the same sec school gg together as in the beginning everyone kind of stays with their school ppl. But after awhile everyone knows everyone and all is well. Culture in ac: WE ARE NOT SNOBBISH RICH KIDS WHO SAIL THROUGH LIFE. Many come from middle income families and I have friends staying in HDBs. Of course there are also the obscenely rich ones but no one flaunts their wealth around sch. We are a family in ac with passionate teachers who know how to have a little fun (encourages us to stand on chairs during special assemblies ie. national day song singing etc). Unfortunately it is true that most speak English in ac. Rarely does one hear chinese being spoken. We don't play play all the time. We are closet muggers and many do stay in school till evening when exams are near. Science faculty: physics dept sucks. Honestly. Bio dept is good. Head of bio is a strict no nonsense lady who makes us answer bio questions at the door of the lecture hall if we're late for 5 or more mins. Overall ac is a great place to be with a perfect mixture of play and study! Come to ac!

loverangel1
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby aa2000 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am

My daughter has been already intereseted in ACJC due to peer group feedback and preferences. It is us parents who are more academically inclined and want more for the kids.

I am impressed with the feedback provided by you all. It seems ACJC has got more bad name than it really deserve and plus points are getting buried.

It was good to note from one of you that thought you choose TJC due to East location you still regard ACJC as a nice pick with score of 6.

Thanks. We will finalize ACJC as first choice since distance is anyway a big factor.

Since ACJC should be partial 6 it is not a sure shot for her as we are PR and may get to balloting in case of tie amongst 6 pointers. I am keeping TJC as backup followed by AJC.

Thanks,

aa2000
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees