Is English Lit in JC hard?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Is English Lit in JC hard?

Postby meteormage » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm thinking of whether to choose English Lit. as one of my subjects in JC. Will I be in a disadvantage if I did not take E.Lit in secondary school? Also, is it recommended I not take E.Lit if I got B3 for English in O Levels?

meteormage
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Is English Lit in JC hard?

Postby Skyed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:20 pm

If it helps for Os I had an A2 for EL but an A1 for Pure Lit... So I don't think EL is tht impt just that you must be able to express yourself and decent command of the language.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby twilight » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:36 pm

You should just ask the school if they allow students without literature background to take literature, and what's their requirements on it. Most of the subjects do have pre-requisites like O level grade.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Skyed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 pm

twilight wrote:You should just ask the school if they allow students without literature background to take literature, and what's their requirements on it. Most of the subjects do have pre-requisites like O level grade.

O level lit is not a prerequisitet to take A level lit.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby micko07 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm

meteormage wrote:I'm thinking of whether to choose English Lit. as one of my subjects in JC. Will I be in a disadvantage if I did not take E.Lit in secondary school? Also, is it recommended I not take E.Lit if I got B3 for English in O Levels?

I didn't take Lit at O level (and went on to do fine in it for A levels anyway). English Language has always been one of my strongest subjects though.

I think the skill set for Lit is somewhat different from that of English Language but you definitely need a strong command of the latter so that you can express your ideas clearly. I'm not sure how a B3 translates but if you feel confident enough about your language abilities and you like Lit (in the sense that you like reading prose/ poetry/ plays + analyzing them), perhaps give it a shot or speak to the subject head in your JC and see what he/ she thinks?

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby puppylove » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:51 am

What if the student only did half Lit , not full Lit at O levels ? Which JCs will accept them to do pure Lit at A level ie. H2 level ?

When did you do your Lit ? Perhaps last time things were different. Thanks in advance

puppylove
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees