ELL or Lit? Bio or Maths or Physics?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

ELL or Lit? Bio or Maths or Physics?

Postby Professor-Singlish » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Hi, I'm a JC1 student in ACJC (yes, I'm a newbie) who hasn't chosen my subject combination...

As in the title, I'm debating between English Language and Linguistics (ELL) and English Literature. I've heard that ACJC is very strong in Arts/Language, and I'm also interested to join the ELEP (and hopefully get the ELES hehheh). But the thing is, I'm not sure if I'd like it, and English Lit seems equally interesting too (though I don't have any background in Lit).

I'm also debating between Biology, Maths, and Physics. I think I'm certain that I'll be taking Chemistry since it does seem to be a pre-requisite for many Uni courses. I'm definitely more interested in Biology (I got an A2 in O's) and I find Maths and Physics kinda dry and uninteresting (I've a B3 in A Maths and Physics). But then again, Maths and Physics also do seem to be rather important in Uni...

Is there anyone who can contribute some info as to the subjects or as to ACJC itself? And is it recommended to take 4H2 or 3H2 and 1H1? :o

Thank you for your help!

Professor-Singlish
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: ELL or Lit? Bio or Maths or Physics?

Postby astraldrop23 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi! I believe this reply is rather late and I think you have already chosen your subject combi. Nonetheless, I just wanted to provide you with more information about ELL and lit as I took that in JC.

ELL has two components, AS1 and AS2. AS1 is much easier to score. It is a bit like situational writing in English for O levels. AS2 is much more interesting, with its focus on language and culture. However, it is much harder to score. I've failed AS2 many many many times.

Literature in A levels is very different from O levels. It is much harder and very demanding. However if you have a passion for literature, then you should go for it! Everything works out in the end:)

Yes, chemistry is indeed important for university applications. However, if you do not see yourself embarking on a purely science undergrad degree in the future, then taking chemistry is not necessary. There are many choices for those who do not take chemistry (Econs, business, information systems, computer science humanities subjects-psychology, geography...).

astraldrop23
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees