Continue JC or take Private A levels

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Continue JC or take Private A levels

Postby Yonghao123 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:34 am

Currently I am posted to quite a lousy JC, the environment is not very good in my opinion and from what I see some people there does not even strive to be best of what they can be. The teachers does not seem very good too either. So I am now considering to take private a level at private schools like mdis which offer a level course(10 months) and try end my education life and go ns then go uni. Other there any cheaper options for me to do this cos I do not want to waste my parents money too much. Or are there any better schools.

Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Continue JC or take Private A levels

Postby Mdm Koh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am

How bad is it? Maybe you can give us some examples without naming the school.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Lavina » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am

Yonghao123 wrote:Currently I am posted to quite a lousy JC, the environment is not very good in my opinion and from what I see some people there does not even strive to be best of what they can be. The teachers does not seem very good too either.

I heard exactly the same thing over 20 years ago from a close friend. And she did what you said and went to a private school but still did not complete her A levels. Meanwhile, my son's ex-tutor (same age as me), who is a teacher at an IP school, went to a pre-U (3 years A level course, not even JC) before going NUS.

My point: It doesn't matter which school you go to. Focus on yourself. You can be the top student in your JC :D

Lavina
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Lavina wrote:
Yonghao123 wrote:Currently I am posted to quite a lousy JC, the environment is not very good in my opinion and from what I see some people there does not even strive to be best of what they can be. The teachers does not seem very good too either.

I heard exactly the same thing over 20 years ago from a close friend. And she did what you said and went to a private school but still did not complete her A levels. Meanwhile, my son's ex-tutor (same age as me), who is a teacher at an IP school, went to a pre-U (3 years A level course, not even JC) before going NUS.

My point: It doesn't matter which school you go to. Focus on yourself. You can be the top student in your JC :D

Hi Yonghao123, Seriously what makes you think that you can complete your A levels in 10 months when other students need 2-3 years to struggle through. A levels is a lot harder than O levels. U need to be very consistent in ur work, structured school system to bring you through it. I think you gotta be more realistic.
Which JC is really not the issue. It's ur attitude. You should be able to discipline urself in ur studies. Sorry. I sound harsh here. Personal experience.

Most ppl do not grad from private schools. If you are bent to go for private school, please do know what you are in for. Good luck!

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

TheAnswer wrote:
Most ppl do not grad from private schools. If you are bent to go for private school, please do know what you are in for. Good luck!

Agree!
my husband graduated from private school as it offers a shorter alternative in terms of time spent.
u must be very very disciplined as some/most peers (according to him for his batch) are just there to attend lessons to please their parents and not really keen in doing well. it is not not doable, but you should not go for private because u think your JC is no good. you should look at the strengths of the private institute, chart your path carefully, and not just take private route as an alternative out of your current place. MHO.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Yonghao123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:16 pm

Thanks you all for giving me advice. My current school is considered by many the lousiest jc in singapore. Some of my friends indirectly mock me being in there although i know they are joking but it still hurts a lot. So now i am looking for options to get out of there. I know that as long as i work hard it does not really matter for this 2 years,but the humiliation really sucks. I considered poly but i not sure if i really want to be in there then also i considered Cambridge international A level instead of sg-cambridge a level. But i don't know what subjects to take in that to be accepted in NTU or NUS accountancy.

Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby timmychan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

The grades required for to enter local uni is different for Cambridge international a level and sg a level.. Call up schools to check.. Cause the international is supposedly easier

timmychan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:42 am

1. Teacher not seemingly to be good? Teachers are allocated based on their residental address by MOE. Teachers teaching in IJC/YJC have the same qualifications as those in NJC/VJC, they are teaching there just because they stay not too far way.

2. A private school is ridiculous, it is mainly for JC students who fail the A level after two years, so that students can have another chance after a round of revision.

3. Entry to a local university requires 3H2 (20 each) +1H1+1GP+1PW (10 each) +HMT/H1 MT(up to 3 bonus point), full point is 90/90. Once you choose not to take A level in a government JC, you will not take PW and the maximum total you will get is a 80/90, which means you are automatically disqualified for 1/3 of the courses, i.e. the hottest ones. A JC candidate scoring ABC/CCC get 75, but a private candidate scoring ABB/BB only gets 72.5. 75 can secure a place in engineering, but 72.5 may not.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mdm Koh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 pm

Why don't you stay and prove your ex-classmates wrong? If they mock you for attending a not-so-good JC, what do you think of their character?

Do you think they will stop mocking you after you change schools?

What should you do, really, to get them to stop making those remarks?

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Yonghao123 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks for all the great advice your have been giving me,but now even if i stay in there i do not really have much option as i am in arts, my subject comb is H2 Geog,Eng Lit,Econs H1 math. Although its not that bad of a combination, but i have been spending most of my time yesterday researching and i think science will be better as i will have more option in case i cannot meet the requirement for Accounting. But my school does not allow me to take Science as i only got B3 in comb sci PHY Chem and i did not take A math in o level. So i am really lost at what to do.

Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees