Cambridge international A levels ??

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Cambridge international A levels ??

Postby Yonghao123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Recently i got into a jc i don't like and have posted on the forum to find out what future paths i can take but most people suggested me to stay on. I understand why they say that but i read on another forum that someone took Cambridge international A level instead of the Singapore Cambridge A level. Do anyone know about this and its future path?? I want to take accountancy in NTU or NUS but the subject requirements and details are very vague. Wondering if anyone know the difficulty of the papers and other details??

Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Cambridge international A levels ??

Postby timmychan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:52 pm

It is first of all easier, so u have to get a higher grade if you want to get into the courses you mentioned.

timmychan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Yonghao123 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:22 pm

timmychan wrote:It is first of all easier, so u have to get a higher grade if you want to get into the courses you mentioned.

Thanks i just check the papers and i would say it looks easier compare to the one at SEAB but what subjects should i take, as of the moment i am in JC1 so i haven't learn anything yet. I can take accounting(as i took o level Poa and the question looks similar) and i need to take mathematics( as it is entry requirement for both NUS and NTU) but the other 2 subjects i need i not sure what to take. But from what i learned in o level i have little options i take O level Eng,Chinese,Emath,POA,CH(SS/Lit),Comb sci(physics/chem),Geography. So i have only knowledge in these areas and not sure how much i know can be transferred for a level.

Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby timmychan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Go call up nus. You have to find out whether it is recognized, if not you'll be wasting your time studying

timmychan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby timmychan » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:25 am

My advice is continue studying at a jc. It's better to be under the supervision of the school, although you might think that this jc isn't that good, you just have to bear with it and work hard. It's much much harder to do well by yourself self studying

timmychan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Cambridge internationial A levels ??

Postby FrekiWang » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:32 am

Some other A level certificates, as stated in NUS/NTU/SMU admission website, are accepted by these local Us. However, if a course's vacancy has been filled up with local JC graduates, IB graduates and poly best performers, there will be no vacancy left for applicants holding other international certificate - this measure is to protect the rights of students in Singapore's Education System.

For accountancy in Business, there is definitely no chance for applicants with other international certificates as it has been one of the hottest so far. Frankly speaking, even local JC graduates need a mimimum of 85pt to enter AAA/ABB, it is not fair for ppl studying an easier syllabus to enter, even he/she can score A for all subjects, because his/her admission means an JC graduate with almost perfect score will be kicked out.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Cambridge internationial A levels ??

Postby 365psych » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am

FrekiWang wrote:However, if a course's vacancy has been filled up with local JC graduates, IB graduates and poly best performers, there will be no vacancy left for applicants holding other international certificate - this measure is to protect the rights of students in Singapore's Education System.

sorry off topic, but you know this, ie 'to protect the rights of students in Singapore's Education System' for a fact?

Except for medicine and law, 15-20% of seats are set aside for foreign students or local students with foreign credentials. Sure it is not a lot, but seats are set aside for students with international credentials.

365psych
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees