Help for subject combination urgent!!

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Help for subject combination urgent!!

Postby Tigerbear » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi all, i recently transferred from sci to arts stream as i do not want to do any engineering/sci courses in uni. Im interested in economics, law, buisness or accountancy, and am muh more interested in humans subjects
My o level results are,
English-A2
E maths-A2
A maths-A2
Pure geog-A1
Ss hist-A1
Physics-A2
Biology-B3
Chemisty-B3
Chinese-B3
My l1r5 is 10.

My current combination is now h2 geog, econs, history and h1 math , pw and chinese. However, i am in a dilema whether to change my geog to h1 and math to h2. I saw the singapore uni prerequisites and h1 math is sufficient, but i was wondering for unis in uk, usa/ australia whether they would require h2 math for econs/ accountancy/buis, like melbourne u etc. as i cant take 4h2s in my school, i have to make a decision whether to take h1/2 math. Was hoping for some advice on my subject combi thx :)

Tigerbear
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Help for subject combination urgent!!

Postby Quintessential Mum » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Tigerbear wrote:Hi all, i recently transferred from sci to arts stream as i do not want to do any engineering/sci courses in uni. Im interested in economics, law, buisness or accountancy, and am muh more interested in humans subjects
My o level results are,
English-A2
E maths-A2
A maths-A2
Pure geog-A1
Ss hist-A1
Physics-A2
Biology-B3
Chemisty-B3
Chinese-B3
My l1r5 is 10.

My current combination is now h2 geog, econs, history and h1 math , pw and chinese. However, i am in a dilema whether to change my geog to h1 and math to h2. I saw the singapore uni prerequisites and h1 math is sufficient, but i was wondering for unis in uk, usa/ australia whether they would require h2 math for econs/ accountancy/buis, like melbourne u etc. as i cant take 4h2s in my school, i have to make a decision whether to take h1/2 math. Was hoping for some advice on my subject combi thx :)

H2 Maths is important if you want to study econs/accountancy. H1 history or geog should be alright.

Quintessential Mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Tigerbear » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I would like to take h2 math but my amath is very weak, got F9 for myes and E8 for prelims, only managed A2 for os cos tys tests qns in very predictable way. Also to add on i was just browsing thru melbourne u and lse econs requirements. Melbourne u requires mathematics at grade 12 australian higher level and lse requires a level maths, if im not wrong are these the equivalent of h2 math? Thanks :)

Tigerbear
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby micko07 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:50 am

A level probably means H2 yes.

If you're struggling with Maths, you may wish to reconsider studying Economics in Uni, or at least not pure Econs. My friends tell me it's substantially more "mathsy" - almost all of them have done H2 maths and they find it difficult at times (and it gets worse with some modules like Econometrics).

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby milkbun » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Whatever choice u make. Follow ur heart. Choose something u like and enjoy cos it would be easier to pick up :)

milkbun
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Tigerbear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys really appreciate it. :) The lesson i learnt from O levels was that i should take the subjects im more interested in and do better in, wanted to do trip humans but everyone told me trip sci was better so i followed them, regret it now. However, i really want to do buisness,econs or law at uni. For that im willing to take up H2 math if it is required for top overseas unis(business/econs), as i do not like to be in a position where an option is totally ruled out based on my subject combination, although sg unis for econs and buis i believe only require h1 math(correct me if im wrong but im quite sure on this). Can anyone who knows info about the above please give me some insight thanks :) If i wanna change to h2 math gotta do it before form classes are formed.

Tigerbear
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Mdm Koh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30879

A university degree is only a means to an end, so you should choose the subjects that will help you get the careers you want.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mensch » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm

This link might be of some help for NUS biz and econs requirements. It appears that H1 Math should be ok.

http://bba.nus.edu/dualdegree_economics.html

That said, agree with quintessential mum about the importance of H2 Math. You have also seen this yourself in your research. For better or worse, social sciences are very into the quantitative approach nowadays, so even if H2 Math is not absolutely required, maintaining that level of engagement can help you in future work.

Business courses can involve a fair bit of math too, so again the H2 Math would be useful. If you managed to work hard and get the A2 for O level A Maths, you definitely have the potential to do fine for A level H2 Math too. Might just be a sacrifice you need to make for the sake of your intellectual and career interest.

Good luck!

mensch
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby micko07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 am

mensch wrote:This link might be of some help for NUS biz and econs requirements. It appears that H1 Math should be ok.

http://bba.nus.edu/dualdegree_economics.html

That said, agree with quintessential mum about the importance of H2 Math. You have also seen this yourself in your research. For better or worse, social sciences are very into the quantitative approach nowadays, so even if H2 Math is not absolutely required, maintaining that level of engagement can help you in future work.

Business courses can involve a fair bit of math too, so again the H2 Math would be useful. If you managed to work hard and get the A2 for O level A Maths, you definitely have the potential to do fine for A level H2 Math too. Might just be a sacrifice you need to make for the sake of your intellectual and career interest.

Good luck!

This.

If you can, I would really recommend taking H2 math though. If you look at Cambridge's entry requirement for reference: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduat ... economics/ A level Maths is listed as essential/ highly desirable. Similarly, LSE asks for an A in Maths (since we don't do A* here): http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergradua ... _Econ.aspx

I don't mean to put you off, but really think carefully about whether you want to do a pure Econs degree which will involve at least a fair bit of Maths (I did H3 Game Theory - I remember coming out of the final exam and telling my dad I never want to do Econs at Uni!) If you decide you're not that into Maths, you can always look at other social science subjects (eg Psychology, Law, Business) or pure Arts (eg History, Geography). That said, if you can, take H2 Maths and see how it goes, because that allows you to keep your options open.

If you genuinely prefer Humanities, do a triple Arts combi + maths. That's what I did - went from triple Science to triple Arts (+ H2 maths). Worked out fine in the end, although I must say my Literature grades were very dodgy at times.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees