subject combi woes

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

subject combi woes

Postby sunshineee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:03 am

Hello everybody!
I just got admitted into arts stream in a jc and i opted for the following subjects: h2 econs, h2 elit, h2 geog and h1 math. Actually, i have always wanted to get into sci stream and pursue medicine/biosciences in uni. However, the funny thing is that i am rather weak at science and math and i do not score well in them! I do much better in humanities and language subjects instead.. As seen from my o lvl results:
Eng- b3
Chi- a1
Hchi- a2
Emath- a2
Amath- b3
Bio- b3
Phy- b3
Chem- b3
geog + ss- a1

My worries about my chosen jc subject combi are that 1) my choices in uni is very limited and no matter what i have to get straight As to pursue Law or Business(which i am unconfident of) 2) i have no elit background 3) i am giving up my dream of studying medicine.
If i really want to go to sci course, i have to appeal from arts to sci course.. Is it worth it? At the same time i am also apprehensive that i would not score well in sci stream and regret my choice..
Really in a dilemma and time is running out!!
Seriously do appreciate your views and sorry for the long post :(

sunshineee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: subject combi woes

Postby Mdm Koh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

If you're really more interested in Science, you should go for it. Although you say that you're weak at Science, I think B3 for a pure science subject is an average grade and not really "weak". You can probably improve if you work hard.

However, I don't suggest you appeal if you're only thinking about it to increase your options and are not really interested in the Science subjects.

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: subject combi woes

Postby micko07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:44 am

sunshineee wrote:Hello everybody!
I just got admitted into arts stream in a jc and i opted for the following subjects: h2 econs, h2 elit, h2 geog and h1 math. Actually, i have always wanted to get into sci stream and pursue medicine/biosciences in uni. However, the funny thing is that i am rather weak at science and math and i do not score well in them! I do much better in humanities and language subjects instead.. As seen from my o lvl results:
Eng- b3
Chi- a1
Hchi- a2
Emath- a2
Amath- b3
Bio- b3
Phy- b3
Chem- b3
geog + ss- a1

My worries about my chosen jc subject combi are that 1) my choices in uni is very limited and no matter what i have to get straight As to pursue Law or Business(which i am unconfident of) 2) i have no elit background 3) i am giving up my dream of studying medicine.
If i really want to go to sci course, i have to appeal from arts to sci course.. Is it worth it? At the same time i am also apprehensive that i would not score well in sci stream and regret my choice..
Really in a dilemma and time is running out!!
Seriously do appreciate your views and sorry for the long post :(

Have a look at the degree requirements of the local unis (or whichever overseas unis you have your eye on) - do you feel like you'd be interested in taking a course that requires Science subjects? (I imagine yes since you said you're interested in Med). In that case, I would consider appealing if that's what you really want.

I don't think you'd need straight As to get into FASS, and last I checked I think someone managed to get into Law with AAB/B this year for both SMU and NUS? Definitely possible, although not easy! At any rate, if you mind doing a lot of readings, I wouldn't recommend doing an Arts or Social Science subject because you'd end up dreading your degree. You don't have to like it, but you must at least not mind it.

At the end of the day, you need to decide whether your desire to pursue Medicine/ Biomed in Uni outweighs your concern that you won't score well. I generally find that I do better at things I'm actually interested in, so if you think you're willing to put in the extra effort to achieve the grades, then go for it.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees