Is CCA important in JC?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Yonghao123
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Is CCA important in JC?

Post by Yonghao123 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:10 pm

I currently am in YJC and everything seems to go wrong for me, my appealing to other school fail,i appeal of subjects failed and i don't really like the environment. Although i like my friends there but i think i should think in other aspects. I now really just feel like study hard and get out of yjc and not think about anything else, but the school focuses a lot on other areas of development like CCA and etc so i want to know that is it really that important cos i don't feel like taking part in all these activities anyone got experience in these areas??

Mdm Koh
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Is CCA important in JC?

Post by Mdm Koh » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm

It is if you intend to further your studies.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by FrekiWang » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 pm

CCA performance is not so important (unless you are considering good Us in Us/Canada, or scholarships).

CCA attendance is important, it will affect your testimonials.

In conclusion, the minimal you need to do is to choose a CCA with only one session per week and make yourself physically present on that day.

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by twilight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm

CCA can be a good avenue for you to at least enjoy JC life. If you're not keen to participate in competitions and all that, just join a club you like which is relatively slack, like meeting once a week, hang out with friends and at the same time get some work done.

Just relax
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:13

Post by Just relax » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:02 am

CCA is important if u are looking for scholarships whether local or more importantly overseas. So think carefully. If u plan to study further and your parents may not be able to fully subsidise your further studies, then u need to have a good CCA record. Good results at A levels not enough as too many students will score well.

lag
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by lag » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:46 pm

fastforward to 2020.. i want to ask the same question again.. is CCA important to get admission into university? DS unable to get into any of the CCA he went for trial.. and his teacher suggested some CCA which he is not interested in. So should he go for those "not interested" CCA or just do without one?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:336

Post by phtthp » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Maybe u can call up, to ask the Dean of that faculty your son / daughter is interested in, ask Dean whether they take Cca into account or not, when considering students for uni admission, into their faculty

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:22

Post by ilovelaksa » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi,
Most local uni faculties don’t req CCA profile except for the ultra popular ones like Med/Dent/Law.
My son’s friend dropped out of CCA in J1, she was offered double degree in NUS/NTU.
Another friend was offered double degree with scholarship at NTU, she was a ‘sleeping’ member of just 1 CCA.
For uni application, rp is the most important.
But I think, if you hv to apply for uni through ABAS, CCA will play an important role.
If you are not doing well in your studies, you will be asked to put your CCA on hold anyway.

Piccadilly Education
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Piccadilly Education » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Hey,
CCAs are important as it brings to life the qualities universities are looking for in students. Some of the qualities are highly relevant to academic potential or ability, such as resilience or creativity. It contextualises the qualities admissions officers are looking for and allows an applicant to stand out if a student is able to reach a high level in his or her CCAs.
While grades are still the most important factor, many unis are trying to portray that they are looking for more holistic and well-rounded students.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:83

Post by ngl2010 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:55 pm

RP is more important than CCA.