A level in 2012

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

A level in 2012

Postby kitty2 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:29 pm

Any of your kids or friends' kids took A level as a private candidate? My friend's son did and was told that the papers and practical were different from all the JC :? Their papers were very tough and he dind't do well :mad:
Wonder is it true that private candidates will have different and tougher papers?

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: A level in 2012

Postby faithie270 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Not sure about the papers, but your friend's son is definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to practicals. The JC teachers are supposedly shown some kind of sample, I think, and give the students repeated practice papers that follow this sample practical. When the actual A level practical is tested, it is pretty similar to the sample practical, so many students score for it.

I don't think private candidates have tougher papers - it's just that JC teachers are better equipped to coach students because they are a lot more familiar with what the examiners are testing, what they want etc.

faithie270
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby kitty2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 am

faithie270 wrote:Not sure about the papers, but your friend's son is definitely at a disadvantage when it comes to practicals. The JC teachers are supposedly shown some kind of sample, I think, and give the students repeated practice papers that follow this sample practical. When the actual A level practical is tested, it is pretty similar to the sample practical, so many students score for it.

I don't think private candidates have tougher papers - it's just that JC teachers are better equipped to coach students because they are a lot more familiar with what the examiners are testing, what they want etc.

:thankyou: :goodpost:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby h2_biology » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:58 pm

The A level science exam papers the private candidate took should be exactly the same as the school candidates, for P1 (MCQ) and P2 (structured and essay).

Only the practical paper the private candidate take may be different from the school candidates. But there are also some private candidates (under certain situations) who can transfer their SPA (school practical exam scores) scores, without the need to sit for the practical paper. :imcool:

h2_biology
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees