PCME OR BCME ? What's yr view ?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

PCME OR BCME ? What's yr view ?

Postby Augmum » Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 pm

My gal can’t decide on which to choose…..
Appreciate any inputs of views fr students or parents….

She did equally well for all 3 Sciences, hence can’t decide whether to choose “P” or “B”...
As for interest, she is ok with both subj….

Would like to know how heavy content is H2 Bio ? any examples to quote ?

As for H2 Physics, what will be the common problem that most pupils will face ?

Thanks in advance......

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Re: PCME OR BCME ? What's yr view ?

Postby mathtuition88 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:26 am

Hi,

H2 Biology is heavy in terms of memorization, students usually need to memorize a lot of information. It would be recommended for students who are good at memorizing information. It is a bit more like an arts subject than a science subject. More qualitative than quantitative. Although Biology is not required for Medicine courses, it does help, according to my brother.

H2 Physics is less on memorization, but more on logic and understanding the concepts. It is a bit like Maths in a way. The study strategy for Physics would be more to practice as opposed to memorization. Students who like logical thinking will usually do better in Physics. And H2 Physics does require a strong mathematical foundation, as basic Geometry and trigonometry, Vectors, Algebra, and Graphs are part of the syllabus prerequisites.

Personally, I took both Biology and Physics, and I found Physics easier in my humble opinion.

Hope it helps,
Best wishes.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm

mathtuition88 wrote:Hi,

H2 Biology is heavy in terms of memorization, students usually need to memorize a lot of information. It would be recommended for students who are good at memorizing information. It is a bit more like an arts subject than a science subject. More qualitative than quantitative. Although Biology is not required for Medicine courses, it does help, according to my brother.

H2 Physics is less on memorization, but more on logic and understanding the concepts. It is a bit like Maths in a way. The study strategy for Physics would be more to practice as opposed to memorization. Students who like logical thinking will usually do better in Physics. And H2 Physics does require a strong mathematical foundation, as basic Geometry and trigonometry, Vectors, Algebra, and Graphs are part of the syllabus prerequisites.

Personally, I took both Biology and Physics, and I found Physics easier in my humble opinion.

Hope it helps,
Best wishes.

Thanks for yr response, mathstuition88....

Yes, we are aware of the heavy content of memorization for H2 Bio, but not sure how overwhelming it can get :wink:

oh....so u took both Bio and Physics....and u preferred Physics...

Seems that girls prefer Bio to Physics as her surrounding frens will be choosing Bio, but all in different combinations.... :lol:

anyway, still have few months for her to mull it over.....thanks....

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mathtuition88 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 am

I chanced upon a similar website on SgForums, http://sgforums.com/forums/2297/topics/465341
titled "H2 Biology or Physics??? ".
Hope it helps. :)

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Thu May 23, 2013 12:38 am

mathtuition88 wrote:I chanced upon a similar website on SgForums, http://sgforums.com/forums/2297/topics/465341
titled "H2 Biology or Physics??? ".
Hope it helps. :)

oh....thanks for the link.....
yay....there are more discussions/info over there... :smile:

Btw, in gal's sch, PCME is the most popular choice.....more classes than BCME....

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Augmum » Thu May 23, 2013 12:45 am

Quote : H2 Bio has more content to memorize than H2 Phys + H2 Chem combined. I'm not exaggerating. Be warned. :roll:

Mathstuition88....u agree on the above ??

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby mathtuition88 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:16 am

Augmum wrote:Quote : H2 Bio has more content to memorize than H2 Phys + H2 Chem combined. I'm not exaggerating. Be warned. :roll:

Mathstuition88....u agree on the above ??

hmm... actually I agree
Some of the H2 Bio questions are more like writing an essay, need to regurgitate whatever I have memorized.
Some of my classmates seem to have a flair for memorizing though, they find it easy to memorize.
I found H2 Biology quite hard, as I am more used to studying Maths and Physics, where the memorization is minimal.

I think maybe future career can be factored into the choice of subject. If a student wishes to take Medicine or Life Science, then he/she should take H2 Bio, even if it is not a requirement. If the student wishes to study Engineering, he should definitely take Physics.

And I think both Biology and Physics can help somewhat in Chemistry, as Chemistry has a Biochemistry and Physical Chemistry component, if I remember correctly. Biology can help a bit in GP too, after practicing writing all the Bio essays, one's English will improve to some extent. Physics will also help in Maths (and vice versa) to some extent.

Best wishes. :)
William

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Augmum » Thu May 23, 2013 5:26 pm

mathtuition88 wrote:
Augmum wrote:Quote : H2 Bio has more content to memorize than H2 Phys + H2 Chem combined. I'm not exaggerating. Be warned. :roll:

Mathtuition88....u agree on the above ??

hmm... actually I agree
Some of the H2 Bio questions are more like writing an essay, need to regurgitate whatever I have memorized.
Some of my classmates seem to have a flair for memorizing though, they find it easy to memorize.
I found H2 Biology quite hard, as I am more used to studying Maths and Physics, where the memorization is minimal.

I think maybe future career can be factored into the choice of subject. If a student wishes to take Medicine or Life Science, then he/she should take H2 Bio, even if it is not a requirement. If the student wishes to study Engineering, he should definitely take Physics.

And I think both Biology and Physics can help somewhat in Chemistry, as Chemistry has a Biochemistry and Physical Chemistry component, if I remember correctly. Biology can help a bit in GP too, after practicing writing all the Bio essays, one's English will improve to some extent. Physics will also help in Maths (and vice versa) to some extent.

Best wishes. :)
William

Thanks for the added info....

i doubt she would wanna to take engineering courses....but she has a flair for Maths.....
so in my mind, i think PCME would be a better choice between the 2.....
nevertheless, i leave the choice to her.....since she is the one who studies.... :wink:

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SignorWinter » Sun May 26, 2013 10:43 pm

Physics - Less memorization, but more of active application, i.e using the right formula in the right way.

Bio - Opposite.

SignorWinter
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby paperaeroplanes » Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 pm

i leave the choice to her.....since she is the one who studies.... :wink:

i like your mindset. hehe :)

I guess interest is really important. Don't choose a subject which is "easier to score". If you dislike a subject it's unlikely that you will do well. H2 Bio/Phy is actually quite different from sec sch science in terms of content so you might want to read up a little on the topics.

I took H2 Physics. I find that the problem most people face is that they merely memorize the formulas and sub in blindly. In order to do well for phy you really need to understand how these formulas work, thats why the need for a lot of practice.

From what I understand from my friends, H2 bio is no longer just about memorising and regurgitating like in sec sch. There's a lot of application questions in the paper so you need to understand the content well.

paperaeroplanes
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees