LSE accounting and finance. Rate my chances?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

LSE accounting and finance. Rate my chances?

Postby zdvg123 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi everyone! To briefly introduce myself I graduated from Singapore Poly this year and I would like to pursue a career in the financial sector. I intend to study accounting and finance at LSE (I can't qualify for LSE econs) and I would like to seek the opinion of forumers here.

Here is a brief list of my credentials:

-Diploma in Banking and Financial Services (merit) with a CGPA of 4.0/4.0.

-Placed on my school's honor roll (or dean's list/director's list) for all six semesters.

-Awarded the DBS Silver Medal and Morgan Stanley Asia (Singapore) Prize

-Received a certificate of high distinction for my team's achievements in the NUS National Economic and Financial Management Quiz 2012.

-Member of the Changi Youth Ambassadors (Changi Airport Group)

-Internship at Citibank Singapore

I know LSE is highly selective, however one senior from my course graduated from LSE with A BSc in accounting and finance with first class honours ........ back in 2003

I'd appreciate any advice you can give. Thanks!

zdvg123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: LSE accounting and finance. Rate my chances?

Postby insider » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi zdvg123

Base from what I know, you shouldnt have any problem getting admission into LSE AC and Finance. Anything above 3.9 is quite safe for admission.

Just submit in UCAS along with your other choices and see the outcomes.

Good luck!

PS: Why only LSE leh? You should be quite spolit of choices with your background...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zdvg123 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

insider wrote:Hi zdvg123

Base from what I know, you shouldnt have any problem getting admission into LSE AC and Finance. Anything above 3.9 is quite safe for admission.

Just submit in UCAS along with your other choices and see the outcomes.

Good luck!

PS: Why only LSE leh? You should be quite spolit of choices with your background...

Hi insider! Thanks for your advice.

So you asked why LSE? Simply put it LSE is a target school (unlike our much vaunted local universities). However I'm open to alternatives as well. So insider, what other schools should I consider then?

zdvg123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby insider » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:32 pm

zdvg123 wrote:
So you asked why LSE? Simply put it LSE is a target school (unlike our much vaunted local universities). However I'm open to alternatives as well. So insider, what other schools should I consider then?

Remember UCAS allows 5 choices.

If I were you for AC and Finance, I will apply:

1. LSE (first tier)

2. University of Cambridge (first tier)

3. Oxford (first tier)

4. Imperial College or UCL or Warwick (second tier)

5. University of Manchester (third tier)

The first tier likely to require interviews and one must really does darn good to secure a place there (I have a friend's child who has better background than you, armed with first class scholarship but didn't perform well enough for the interview and she had to settle for second tier).

Adding a second tier and third tier in the list is for 'safety net' sake coz they are still good schools if you die die don't want to take local unis...

PS:
Personally I like Cambridge. Been there and love that little town... (like everyday is Sunday when I was there coz very relaxing).

PS2:
Manchester is a bit boring but cheaper...

PS3:
All the 'tiers' assigned is based on my personal understanding (from reading and hear say...)

PS4:
Emmm...didnt' really see your have some CCAs or Community Service track records, showing leadership positions. Should have some right? This will help coz only pure academics unlikely to work for the first tier schools...

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zdvg123 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:36 pm

insider wrote:
zdvg123 wrote:

Remember UCAS allows 5 choices.

If I were you for AC and Finance, I will apply:

1. LSE (first tier)

2. University of Cambridge (first tier)

3. Oxford (first tier)

4. Imperial College or UCL or Warwick (second tier)

5. University of Manchester (third tier)

The first tier likely to require interviews and one must really does darn good to secure a place there (I have a friend's child who has better background than you, armed with first class scholarship but didn't perform well enough for the interview and she had to settle for second tier).

Adding a second tier and third tier in the list is for 'safety net' sake coz they are still good schools if you die die don't want to take local unis...

PS:
Personally I like Cambridge. Been there and love that little town... (like everyday is Sunday when I was there coz very relaxing).

PS2:
Manchester is a bit boring but cheaper...

PS3:
All the 'tiers' assigned is based on my personal understanding (from reading and hear say...)

PS4:
Emmm...didnt' really see your have some CCAs or Community Service track records, showing leadership positions. Should have some right? This will help coz only pure academics unlikely to work for the first tier schools...

Hi Insider! Sad to say my CCA record is (relatively) abysmal since I lack leadership positions ( I do participate in some grassroots activities and OCIP programs along with seminars and workshops though). However I did some research beforehand and I realise that UK universities in general focus more on academic performance and good personal statements over your CCA track record (unless your CCA is related to your intended course of study). However I may be wrong here so please correct me if need be.

Another point which I would like to highlight is that OxBridge interviews all its candidates. On the other hand LSE rarely does interviews (if they even do it in the first place) so I assume your friend's child is applying for OxBridge.

(PS. I highly doubt OxBridge would even bother to interview a poly grad like me. Nothing short of divine intervention will be able to land me a place at OxBridge)

zdvg123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby insider » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm

zdvg123 wrote:
Hi Insider! Sad to say my CCA record is (relatively) abysmal since I lack leadership positions ( I do participate in some grassroots activities and OCIP programs along with seminars and workshops though). However I did some research beforehand and I realise that UK universities in general focus more on academic performance and good personal statements over your CCA track record (unless your CCA is related to your intended course of study). However I may be wrong here so please correct me if need be.

Another point which I would like to highlight is that OxBridge interviews all its candidates. On the other hand LSE rarely does interviews (if they even do it in the first place) so I assume your friend's child is applying for OxBridge.

(PS. I highly doubt OxBridge would even bother to interview a poly grad like me. Nothing short of divine intervention will be able to land me a place at OxBridge)

I am aware LSE pays more attention to academics. However, your CCA will come in handy when they have to consider two candidates of the same academic standing (you should be aware that most who apply for LSE are of reasonable results).

<edited with personal sttm removed>

If you do not have good CCAs, then the Oxbridge maybe out of your choices. They do consider poly grads (our full time diplomas are well recognised in UK) but you need more than excellent academic results to get the interviews. Hey! Look more highly on the piece of paper you obtained from Singapore Poly! (I have a feeling you are perhaps being trapped by an imaginary 'glass ceiling'. Hello! Sky's the limit and so go fly!)

I ever heard of LSE kids needed to attend interviews though my daughter's scholar friends (Econs) did not need to attend. So, am not sure on what basis interviews are required and when they are not required.

So, maybe you should go for LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, and Manchester. (if you are rich enough, you can do summer programme in Yale (my friend's daughter did that while studying first year in LSE during her summer break), and then do a Masters in Cambridge or Oxford!)

PS:
If you manage to go there, please try to achieve something for your CCA during your 3 years else your resume will be quite hollow other than your academic achievement (that I may read the resume and think maybe that person is a 'nerd'). You need that for many things, incl internship, that you wish to apply for in the future.

PS2:
Your school should have some kind of service to help you to polish up your Personal Statement. Go and seek to refine your statement. I have seen resumes that so little things but kids can really blew them up like real big (such as saying "Volunteer in social services such as collecting used clothes for the needy" (when I know this one could be their CIP that this child might have only done once but they can blow and blow and I would read and smile...) Just try to recall whatever you have done for CIP and CCA and try to weave that into your Personal Statement else you would not have much to write. I received attachment applications now and then from 'A' level kids and they can offer to work FREE that I believe what they want is the experience and then a testimony after the attachment (but I still pay them a reasonable amount as pocket money lah coz these are real 'purpose-driven' kids. At times I do feel it 'scary' that these kids would prefer to use their holidays to build their 'resumes' instead of spending their time playing and giggling away at this tender ages of 17 and 18...)
Last edited by insider on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby micko07 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:15 am

insider wrote:I am aware LSE pays more attention to academics. However, your CCA will come in handy when they have to consider two candidates of the same academic standing (you should be aware that most who apply for LSE are of reasonable results).

If you do not have good CCAs, then the Oxbridge maybe out of your choices. They do consider poly grads (our full time diplomas are well recognised in UK) but you need more than excellent academic results to get the interviews. Hey! Look more highly on the piece of paper you obtained from Singapore Poly! (I have a feeling you are perhaps being trapped by an imaginary 'glass ceiling'. Hello! Sky's the limit and so go fly!)

I ever heard of LSE kids needed to attend interviews though my daughter's scholar friends (Econs) did not need to attend. So, am not sure on what basis interviews are required and when they are not required.

So, maybe you should go for LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick, and Manchester. (if you are rich enough, you can do summer programme in Yale (my friend's daughter did that while studying first year in LSE during her summer break), and then do a Masters in Cambridge or Oxford!)

LSE doesn't generally interview I believe (and for that matter, the UK schools do not generally interview either, with the exception of Oxbridge and specific courses like Medicine, Vet Med etc). It's not about whether you're a scholar or not - if you're a bog-standard A level student, they won't bother.

See LSE's interview policies here: https://lfylive.lse.ac.uk/lfy/tc/enquir ... rchString=

Oxbridge don't really care about your CCAs, insofar as it doesn't relate directly to your subject (eg you have worked in a lab and you're applying for a science subject). You could definitely be just a straight A student and nothing more and they'd still take you. This isn't the US (where it's all about "holistic admissions") - the UK is more keen on whether they'd think you'd do well in the course (I quote my uni mate's tutor on this: we took you because we thought you'd get a First (ie the top grade))

At any rate, neither Oxford nor Cambridge offers Accounting and/or Finance at undergrad levels. The closest equivalents I can think of are Economics & Management (Oxford) and straight Econs (Cambridge). Unless OP is considering Econs courses, Oxbridge is definitely a no go. If you don't mind, write to them and ask. Since they run on Collegiate systems, you might find that there's no uniform policy across the board, so email all the colleges if you have to. Definitely, if you like a course at Oxford or Cambridge (you can only apply to one of them), do consider applying. The interviews aren't as horrible as people make them out to be - the tutors just want to evaluate your potential for the course! Plenty of people applying thinking they're not good enough and end up with offers, so if they give you the green light, do think about it.

OP, I would suggest writing to LSE, explaining your situation and asking if you'd make a competitive application. According to LSE, their entry requirements are: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/informationF ... ments.aspx (Accounting and Finance: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduat ... nting.aspx)

It doesn't talk about alternative qualifications like yours, so I would email them just to be certain. There's absolutely no point IMO in wasting time on an application if it won't be considered. For that matter, I'd email all the unis you're thinking of applying to to clarify that they do accept the Diploma.

Also, thestudentroom has a PS vetting service that you can use.

Good luck!

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby insider » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:45 am

Hahahaha...think the more zdvg123 knows, the more he may get confused.

As far as my knowledge is concerned, I know those top tiers unis in UK accept our full time diploma qualifications as entry requirements. zdvg123 should know this as well since you mentioned you have a senior who graduated from LSE but perhaps coz you don't get to read it black and white like the link provided kindly by micko as well as time may change, then you get a bit worried.

You may write to them to seek confirmation but chances are you will get a standard reply of just apply and they will evaluate on a case-by-case basis (hey! dont wait for things to happen, have the spirit of making it happen!).

I am more familiar with Ngee Ann coz my two kids are in there. What I am sharing is sort of 'transferring' my knowledge of Ngee Ann system to Singapore Poly coz I assume their qualifications are the same and so should be treated equally in the admission process (whether locally or overseas).

Below is a not exhaustive list I extracted randomly from Ngee Ann (and my daughter's friends from Ngee Ann are all over the places in UK):

Admission to me some time is about luck, a bit similar to job application:

1. Which year you submitting for admission? Is that year a highly competitive one? If so, then first year may get rejected and then try again a second year which then can be rejected or accepted.

2. The person who processes the documents, whether strict or lenient. whether he/she likes your Personal Statement.

3. The person who conducts the interview (if it is required), whether strict or lenient and the true objective of such interview. I thought my niece did so so badly for SMU interview but she still got an offer and that made me sort of 'write off' SMU interview for interview sake (my 'sample size' is too small for me to really conclude that though)

4. The mental and physical condition of that person who attends the interview (my friend's daughter who didnt pass the interview is a very outstanding child who is holding very 'prestigious' titles in several clubs and society and so can imagine she is someone who can 'smoke' under pressure but yet she didn't make it that round but her peer (with not as good results as her) made it through. So something must be not right in her mental / physical state on the day of the interview) or that particular interviewer was simply someone too strict...

zdvg123, are you waiting for NS or you have oredi completed NS?

If you still need to serve NS, then you have two different years to tikam and so go tikam for first year maybe one choice include the Oxbridge (what I know they do offer AC and Finance but micko said no have and so I am not so sure anymore. Maybe they have changed or I remember wrongly. If have, then go tikam for the first year!)

insider
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zdvg123 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi insider. Just to let you know I will begin my BMT training later this year. Right now my strategy is to apply for deferred entry later this year and try again next year if I'm unsuccessful. Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.

(PS. miko07 I've contacted someone who is studying in Oxford and he shares with me that the personal statement is more about your understanding and passion for the course of study than your achievements. If that's the case LSE should follow OxBridge's example and focus less on the CCAs and more on the personal statements)

zdvg123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby micko07 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 am

zdvg123 wrote:Hi insider. Just to let you know I will begin my BMT training later this year. Right now my strategy is to apply for deferred entry later this year and try again next year if I'm unsuccessful. Thanks again for your advice. I really appreciate it.

(PS. miko07 I've contacted someone who is studying in Oxford and he shares with me that the personal statement is more about your understanding and passion for the course of study than your achievements. If that's the case LSE should follow OxBridge's example and focus less on the CCAs and more on the personal statements)

Yes that is definitely true of the UK unis (with the exception of Medicine I think)- they want academic oriented personal statements. (So make sure you demonstrate interest in your subject eg you've read books beyond your course). Always bear in mind that the tutors are basically thinking "Is this person going to excel academically on this course?" Again, I'd recommend trying the thestudentroom's PS vetting service - they're pretty good.

insider, how do you "know all top tier universities accept our Diploma qualifications"? I'm not doubting your source, but when I did my research for UCAS a couple of years back, there was very little information on Diplomas as an acceptable qualification on the UK unis' websites. I'm not trying to dissuade OP from applying - I just want to make sure he double-checks rather than end up wasting time and money applying, only to get his application binned. I am also 100% sure that Oxbridge do not offer undergraduate accounting and finance. You can check the course catalogues here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergra ... s/courses/ and http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/

In fact, Oxbridge are notorious for being very academic (they also don't offer subjects like media studies, business and journalism), and I highly doubt they've ever offered accounting and finance as an undergraduate degree. Even the more "pragmatic" courses like Law are stated to be academic studies of the subject.

His senior got into LSE years ago - policies change all the time. Just 3 years ago, Oxford used to interview overseas - now it's either in person in the UK or over Skype. It's always a good thing to check just in case, rather than go on heresay or potentially outdated information. An admissions officer can give a more authoritative answer, and given that no answer can be found on LSE's website, I would be wary of saying LSE definitely accepts Diplomas for all their courses. It's like saying that all A levels are acceptable for all courses - No. Absolutely not true.

Long story short: OP, you're better off emailing LSE in my most honest opinion. At least they can tell you yes or no (or refer you to the correct person who does admissions for accounting and finance).

Also, if you plan on applying for deferred entry, note that it's generally harder to get a deferred offer (because they're basically accepting you without having seen next year's applicants yet). Don't be disheartened if you don't get an offer the first time round.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees