Does one have to be a genius to do maths?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Yes, only geniuses can do maths.
67%
No, everyone can do maths.
33%

Total votes : 6

Postby mathtuition88 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:06 am

Just to share an article about Maths Learning.

I also personally believe that one does not have to be a genius to do maths.

This article is about becoming a professional mathematician (PhD and above), so that means for A Levels and below, one definitely does not have to be a genius to do well at maths.

Source: http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-ad ... -do-maths/

Better beware of notions like genius and inspiration; they are a sort of magic wand and should be used sparingly by anybody who wants to see things clearly. (José Ortega y Gasset, “Notes on the novel”)

Does one have to be a genius to do mathematics?

The answer is an emphatic NO. In order to make good and useful contributions to mathematics, one does need to work hard, learn one’s field well, learn other fields and tools, ask questions, talk to other mathematicians, and think about the “big picture”. And yes, a reasonable amount of intelligence, patience, and maturity is also required. But one does not need some sort of magic “genius gene” that spontaneously generates ex nihilo deep insights, unexpected solutions to problems, or other supernatural abilities.

Source: http://terrytao.wordpress.com/career-ad ... -do-maths/

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Does one have to be a genius to do maths?

Postby Geraldinelim » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:09 am

hahha..I am always very amazed by the methods my girls learned from their tutor. 1 question, with 5 different methods. I think it really takes a genius to do it.
Geraldinelim
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mathtuition88 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:21 am

Geraldinelim wrote:hahha..I am always very amazed by the methods my girls learned from their tutor. 1 question, with 5 different methods. I think it really takes a genius to do it.

Thanks for your feedback!

I do agree that maths is very amazing. And glad to hear about the 5 different methods learnt by your daughters! Keep up the good work and interest in mathematics!

However, everyone who is interested in maths can learn it well! One does not have to be a genius!
Most of the time, the geniuses are those who are really interested in mathematics. The more interested in mathematics, the more proficient at mathematics one will become.

There is a famous mathematician called "Paul Erdös", nicknamed "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers".
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004R6 ... athtuit-20 )
His hobby is really just mathematics and nothing else, and he became one of the most prolific mathematicians in the entire century.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FrekiWang » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:13 pm

One needs to be a genius to score full marks at A level or equivalent, but needs not to be one to score an A.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KiasuAK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

I don't think you need to be a genius to be proficient in Maths. Naturally those really smart ones can excel well in this subject but all is not lost if you're not a genius, you just have to be very hardworking. IMHO.

KiasuAK
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mathtuition88 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:48 pm

KiasuAK wrote:I don't think you need to be a genius to be proficient in Maths. Naturally those really smart ones can excel well in this subject but all is not lost if you're not a genius, you just have to be very hardworking. IMHO.

Totally agree with you!

Just to share a motivational story related to Maths and Perseverance:

Dr Yeo Sze Ling is sincerely a good example of perseverance for all Maths students. Being blind from childhood, she has studied Maths and persevered through all the way.

(Go to 01h18m50s)

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06PdmOSrboU#t=01h18m50s

Quote: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/pm-lee-tears-u ... rally-with–heart–160531376.html

But perhaps the most memorable moment of all was when Lee became visibly emotional after sharing the heartwarming success story of visually handicapped A-star researcher Dr Yeo Sze Ling.

“Sze Ling proves that you can do well if you try hard, no matter what your circumstances, and that is also how we can contribute back to society, to keep the system fair for all,” said Lee, who then visibly teared and choked up, but quickly composed himself.

PM Lee was emphasising the importance of meritocracy in Singapore’s education system, which he acknowledged needed more changes — for example, it can be more holistic and less competitive.

mathtuition88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees