ADVICE PLEASE (:

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

ADVICE PLEASE (:

Postby guaigirl24 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi.
I am a secondary school "graduate", having just completed the O-Levels. Right now is the 1.5 month wait for the results to be released. While I am trying to relax, I am constantly thinking and pondering over my education pathway starting next year. So, I would appreciate some advice and thoughts from all of you here :smile:

I am pretty bent on JC education. However, there are some downsides..

While I have done pretty well (actually very well, *being humble*) in secondary school and will probably do so for the O-Levels, the A-Levels are a completely different ball game, not to mention a huge jump and a drastic change.

From my experience so far, though I am an enthusiastic student and can pick up things (usually) easily, I need to do things slowly in order for my mind to process and digest it. So, the lecture-tutorial system of the JCs seem rather.. nerving?
For example, I can follow what my teacher is saying during the Humanities lectures we have here in my secondary school, but I am unable to take notes and listen at the same time, and will be completely lost when the teacher tries to speed through the content (which is the case most of the time.)
As a result, though I have attended all the lessons, I can only truly "have studied" when I have gone through the content on my own and made my own notes. As such, it is highly inefficient as I am doing double- (or even triple-)work this way.
Last edited by guaigirl24 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guaigirl24
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Post O-Levels

Postby guaigirl24 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:41 pm

So, my questions here are, :?
[list=]is there a JC that would fit my slow and steady learning style?[/list]

[list=]how can I prepare myself and adapt for this new method of teaching and learning?[/list]

[list=]are there other more suitable options? (i.e. IB ???)[/list]

Many thanks in advance! :wink:

guaigirl24
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: ADVICE PLEASE (:

Postby celebratelife » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:47 am

Hi guaigirl24,

By "unable to take notes and listen at the same time", I am taking it that you are referring to multi-tasking? In any lectures, listening and taking notes at the same time is the norm for learning processes for typical higher level learning, tertiary students. Unless the educational institutions provide online lecture videos which you can watch afterwards, listening and taking down notes of the gist of lectures is a common practice.

One way to work around this is to have a study partner with you. While one of you listens intently to the lecture, another takes down notes. The person who listens intently should preferably be someone who is able to do fast recall soon after the lecture and the person taking down notes should preferable be someone who has a strong auditory sense. Both of you can share insights of what you have learnt afterwards.

Although rote learning is not really encouraged in current learning cultures, I would not say that your learning style is slow. Yes, your learning style is steady :boogie: (which implies progressiveness :smile: ), but it is definitely not slow. Repetition of points learnt has its benefits, which is similar to how some students memorise the multiplication table through rote learning. In your case, it's even better since when you repeat the points you are learning, you are drawing deeper insights every time. This is equivalent to someone reading the same book several times in various stages of their life and each time they read it, they get richer insights from their reads.

Furthermore, it's almost impossible to grasp the essence of the lectures in one sitting. More often than not, most students have to read through their notes after the lectures anyway. And I would advise you to create your notes using the lecture notes as that would allow you to customise and study the content based on a layout familiar and conducive to your learning style.

Now, let's get back to your questions :rahrah: :

i. Is there a JC that would fit my slow and steady learning style?

I believe most JCs are great and the educators are caring towards their students. The pace for JC education varies according to the learning pace and capabilities of the students but some might find the pace to be rather fast. It would be great if you are able to consult some of your seniors in the various JCs for more details.

ii. How can I prepare myself and adapt [to] this new method of teaching and learning?

If you are referring to your transition from secondary to JC education, then you might like to familiarise yourself with how lectures are conducted in local educational institutions. This will benefit your university education as well. Even polytechnic education consists of lectures (except for Republic Polytechnic, which uses the Problem-Based Learning (PBL) approach).

Most lectures focus on the gist of the lesson and students are often required to do further readings on their own, which differs greatly from your secondary education where your teachers often provide all if not most of the learning materials. You may need some time to adapt to this change, unless you are someone who are used to reading up additional materials from the libraries, or through relevant online resources during your secondary school days :imcool: .

iii. Are there other more suitable options?

I suggest you run through the list of local school websites for JCs, Polys etc. to understand more about the teaching methodologies. Alternatively, you can enquire from the Ministry of Education (MOE) as well.

I hope that the above clarifies some of your doubts.

I hereby wish you all the best for your studies. :smile:

Warmest Regards,
Patrick Tay
http://www.patricktay.wordpress.com

celebratelife
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ReachTutor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:35 am

guaigirl24 wrote:Hi.
I am a secondary school "graduate", having just completed the O-Levels. Right now is the 1.5 month wait for the results to be released. While I am trying to relax, I am constantly thinking and pondering over my education pathway starting next year. So, I would appreciate some advice and thoughts from all of you here :smile:

I am pretty bent on JC education. However, there are some downsides..

While I have done pretty well (actually very well, *being humble*) in secondary school and will probably do so for the O-Levels, the A-Levels are a completely different ball game, not to mention a huge jump and a drastic change.

From my experience so far, though I am an enthusiastic student and can pick up things (usually) easily, I need to do things slowly in order for my mind to process and digest it. So, the lecture-tutorial system of the JCs seem rather.. nerving?
For example, I can follow what my teacher is saying during the Humanities lectures we have here in my secondary school, but I am unable to take notes and listen at the same time, and will be completely lost when the teacher tries to speed through the content (which is the case most of the time.)
As a result, though I have attended all the lessons, I can only truly "have studied" when I have gone through the content on my own and made my own notes. As such, it is highly inefficient as I am doing double- (or even triple-)work this way.

I might be too late, since I believed that JAE is over. Just to sidetrack a bit, I think your username really fits your description of you! Haha :smile: Anyway, I think the most important is that you're diligent, and will definitely make it past JC with awesome results! :smile: But say if you really needed help :?: , ReachTutor might be able to help you get a tutor. You can check out http://www.reachtutor.com/ for more info :smile:

ReachTutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby guaigirl24 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:45 pm

@Patrick:

Thanks for your response and advice! :goodpost:

I've done well in the O-Levels and have chosen to go for the IB programme. First choice, hopefully can get in.

guaigirl24
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees