LEARNConcierge

Networking Group - JCs General

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Re: Networking Group - JCs General

Postby amizade » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:07 pm

hi guys. My son got an L1R5 raw of 8, with a bonus of 2 points. Is there really no chance for VJC or HCI? Putting either one in the JAE ranking would be a waste of time right?

amizade
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby trcs » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 am

Hi everyone, my daughter got 12 raw & 10 (-2 CCA points).
Thinking of SAJC or CJC (both 10 points). She's also affiliated to the latter though probably won't make a huge difference. Can't pick between the two since they're the main 2 she's deciding between

Initially she actually wanted to go to SJI (7 points) or ACJC (8 points). She is wondering if she should list them on the JAE application, considering that schools are apparently going to increase cut off points due to mergers (though probably only by 1 or 2 points at max)

Will Eunoia down on the list somewhere though not that keen.

Any thoughts & advice, especially regarding CJC vs SAJC & possible increase in COP for SJI & ACJC?

trcs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zac's mum » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:01 am

I thought the increase in COP would only be in the merged JCs. I don’t expect SJI or ACJC to change their COP at all. But someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

SAJC is Anglican. While CJC is Catholic. To me, due to my religion I have a clear preference. Does your daughter have a preference?? Consider also the locations & logistics, whether any direct bus from your house. For SAJC, it is possible to walk from Potong Pasir MRT. Cut thru St Andrew’s Secondary School canteen, I think there’s a link bridge to SAJC which plenty of students take in the morning so it’s quite safe even if dark.

I can’t give more insight but my general impression is SAJC reputation seems better than CJC. For girls especially.

zac's mum
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MMM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 am

amizade wrote:hi guys. My son got an L1R5 raw of 8, with a bonus of 2 points. Is there really no chance for VJC or HCI? Putting either one in the JAE ranking would be a waste of time right?

Seems like the million dollar question that everyone has now, will cop increase for those top JCs. Even when announcing results, school was like last year is a reference point, cop might increase with the merger.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby MMM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 am

zac's mum wrote:I can’t give more insight but my general impression is SAJC reputation seems better than CJC. For girls especially.

Yes agree on this.

SAJC location with its proximity near MRT is better located too.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby phtthp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am

zac's mum wrote:I thought the increase in COP would only be in the merged JCs. I don’t expect SJI or ACJC to change their COP at all. But someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

SAJC is Anglican. While CJC is Catholic. To me, due to my religion I have a clear preference. Does your daughter have a preference?? Consider also the locations & logistics, whether any direct bus from your house. For SAJC, it is possible to walk from Potong Pasir MRT. Cut thru St Andrew’s Secondary School canteen, I think there’s a link bridge to SAJC which plenty of students take in the morning so it’s quite safe even if dark.

I can’t give more insight but my general impression is SAJC reputation seems better than CJC. For girls especially.

IF there is an increase in intake (seats) at CJC, due to merged 4 JCs; then it is possible that CJC COP, may change from last year.

First, find out from the Principal of CJC : is there any increase in intake for CJC this year vs. last year intake, after the "4-merged JCs MOE" announcement ?
if Yes, what is the differnce, like ?
is the difference (increase) big, like more than one class of A-level students ?

CJC :
normally, close to 40 percent from Affliated Secondary school students gained admission into CJC, with the remaining / balance, coming from Non-affliated Secondary schools.

Boys from SJI, St Patrick Secondary although there are some students from ACS / St Andrew Sec choose CJC.

CHIJ girls, girls from other Catholic mission schools, have " 2-points" affliation admission bonus discount.

last year (2016 O level sitting), for Science stream :-
Cut-off point (Science stream) for CJC was 11, while that for SAJC was 9.

(similarly, can pose the same qn, to Anglican SAJC Principal)

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby onetwothree » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:55 pm

If my son is interested in maths, chemistry , econ and history, is this under the category of arts or science?

onetwothree
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

If my son is interested in maths, chemistry , econ and history, is this under the category of arts or science?

onetwothree
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

onetwothree
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby NotEducatedMan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:58 pm

My DS got an L1R5 of raw 10 pts. (no bonus points)

He is considering AJC (last COP for Sc. is 9)

Since AJC will be merging with SJC, but SJC will not participate in JAE for this year.
So probably students will base on AJC last COP as reference?
Last edited by NotEducatedMan on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotEducatedMan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees

LEARNConcierge