Networking Group - JCs General

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
soda
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: JCs - Parents Networking Group

Post by soda » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:49 pm

RI Open House tomorrow! Register for priority queue to receive goodie bags here on their Facebook page:

Snapshots of some of the CCAs in this video:

The Polaroid: An Unexpected Journey.

Join Ernest on an epic journey as he chases after a mysterious Polaroid all around RI! What exactly will he find?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZN2A9fCS9E

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Post by zeemimi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:59 am

When jae students report to school on 6 Feb, so they wear their Secondary school uniform or we have to make a mad rush to buy the new uniform on 5 feb?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:101

Post by jtoh » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 am

zeemimi wrote:When jae students report to school on 6 Feb, so they wear their Secondary school uniform or we have to make a mad rush to buy the new uniform on 5 feb?

Should be secondary school uniform I expect. Which JC has your dc decided on?

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Lynn2010 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:51 am

twilight wrote:
zeemimi wrote:Tks jtoh.
Another thing I'm concerned about is whether the jae students generally fit well into ip schools since they are the minority. Wonder if any parents can share about this.

I went to ACSI in year 5 and being from O levels wasn't a problem at all. Social wise, in the early OG days, I asked the IP boys a lot about the school (culture, where is this place and that place, how's the teachers, cca etc), so that was mostly the conversation starter, and they were very willing to share. Furthermore, they may not be in the same OG as their year 1-4 clique, so they are also sort of mixed with strangers in the beginning. After the O levels people got the uniforms, I don't think there was any segregation in terms of IP vs non-IP. Mainly we just thought of ourselves as one OG and all our goal was to bond as an OG, make friends and have fun. It's the same after being allocated to our classes. The IP boys will not necessarily be with their clique, so it's not very difficult to befriend them.
Academic wise, the IP boys had the advantage initially, as for ACSI's case, IB and O level are totally different in terms of coursework and expectations. But again, they were willing to share what knowledge they have of the system and content, some of which they have already learned.
I think as long as one is willing to take the initiative, it is not difficult to befriend the IP people. Of course, there can be some cliques that are very difficult to break into. Well then, there are hundreds of other students around to befriend.

DD went to ACSI too. Like what twilight said, no issue.

Boys make friends in a different way from girls generally. Girls tend to be more cliquey (in my opinion), so the "new girls" who joined ACSI do not have problems mixing around

Twilight... i remember you giving me some advise some time ago. Have you completed your IB? Just completed last year?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:206

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 am

jtoh wrote:
zeemimi wrote:When jae students report to school on 6 Feb, so they wear their Secondary school uniform or we have to make a mad rush to buy the new uniform on 5 feb?

Does school start on reporting day? Or do students just register then go home and start the next day?

zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:48

Post by zeemimi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 am

jtoh wrote:

:faint: left only 1 set.
Should be the one having open house today unless going to the open house changed her impression. :rotflmao:
She went to another open house ytd and came back with numerous mosquitoes bites. We told her if she goes there, maybe her blood would be sucked dry. :rotflmao:

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:101

Post by jtoh » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:03 pm

zeemimi wrote:
jtoh wrote:

:faint: left only 1 set.
Should be the one having open house today unless going to the open house changed her impression. :rotflmao:
She went to another open house ytd and came back with numerous mosquitoes bites. We told her if she goes there, maybe her blood would be sucked dry. :rotflmao:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

twilight
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by twilight » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:57 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:DD went to ACSI too. Like what twilight said, no issue.

Boys make friends in a different way from girls generally. Girls tend to be more cliquey (in my opinion), so the "new girls" who joined ACSI do not have problems mixing around

Twilight... i remember you giving me some advise some time ago. Have you completed your IB? Just completed last year?

Yup, I just graduated last year.

slmkhoo wrote:
jtoh wrote:

Does school start on reporting day? Or do students just register then go home and start the next day?

Yeah wear secondary school uniform. It's not only for the first day though. Some schools wear up till about a week, especially for people who are in the midst of appealing.

School will start on reporting day. The orientation program will start immediately.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:206

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:13 pm

twilight wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Does school start on reporting day? Or do students just register then go home and start the next day?

Yeah wear secondary school uniform. It's not only for the first day though. Some schools wear up till about a week, especially for people who are in the midst of appealing.

School will start on reporting day. The orientation program will start immediately.

OK, thanks. We already bought the uniforms as my daughter was admitted through SPERS and we're happy with the choice. Still waiting for the school to tell us when to show up, but we'll mentally prepare to go on reporting day with everyone else. I'll call them nearer the day to confirm.

CCKparent
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by CCKparent » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Any parent has kids in PJC or JJC?