Networking Group - JCs General

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:16

Re: Networking Group - JCs General

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 pm

abachee wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm
UBKmom wrote:
phtthp wrote: Thank you very much, isetan

In terms of COP, Nanyang (Science) is on par with Victoria JC (Science), also 6 points. Just one point behind RI (Science), at 5. Impressive, because Nanyang is not an IP-JC

Well done, Nanyang, keep it up ! :-) wow, really not easy to score 6 points
Yes, NYJC is really impressive if you look back at them a few years ago, from mid-tier jc to the top 3 based on cop, just behind HCI/RI. On the contrary, NJC/TJC is deteriorating, falling behind.

NYJC will never be a 3rd placing JC and never was.
They are now joint 3rd place as this year COP have change due to popularity of that JC.
Please take note that it is the school cohort A level results is the barometer that determines which JC is the best rank JC.

Yes, NYJC have done a good job marketing themselve to the public and able to draw few nett 6 & 7 pointers to the school. But if they were to be able to do that for the next few years comsecutively and go above VJC in terms of popularity COP.
Then we can acknowledge that they are 3rd rank JC in terms of COP which is also its popularity choice of the JCs among the PSLE students.

Left this forum long ago. I am amazed people are still comparing which JC is ranking above which. Haha!
Don't compare lah, since NYJC never has any IP students.
Most importantly, the pupil must be able to achieve the grades to get into his ideal course and uni from the JC, whichever it may be.
I know of an NYJC boy who went in with 5 pts net but couldn't get into NUS FASS with his A level result. He ends up taking Art Drama Media in NTU which a student with a score of 65 rp is also able to get in without appeal. The course is most popular among poly students. Not his dream course but he doesn't have many choices.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:100

Post by lee_yl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Any of you has kids, nieces or nephews who did very well for A’level this time round? I heard that one of the government ministries has 2-3 more overseas/local scholarships to give out. Field of study, they prefer STEM, Comp Sc, Engine, candidates in Cyber security/technology etc. Terms and Condition similar to those of PSC scholarship.

If keen, pls drop me a PM and I will forward you the link and email address for you to liaise directly with them. The ministry will call you up interview/psychometric test etc. should you be found suitable.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by isetan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm
Any of you has kids, nieces or nephews who did very well for A’level this time round? I heard that one of the government ministries has 2-3 more overseas/local scholarships to give out. Field of study, they prefer STEM, Comp Sc, Engine, candidates in Cyber security/technology etc. Terms and Condition similar to those of PSC scholarship.

If keen, pls drop me a PM and I will forward you the link and email address for you to liaise directly with them. The ministry will call you up interview/psychometric test etc. should you be found suitable.
Aren’t this ministry be part of the scholarship listings in bright sparks already?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:100

Post by lee_yl » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:22 pm

isetan wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:43 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Aren’t this ministry be part of the scholarship listings in bright sparks already?
Bright Sparks is a convinient platform but not all the govt ministries are on it.

516Hwang
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by 516Hwang » Sun May 26, 2019 9:48 pm

Any recommendation of good intensive H2 history tutor?

jchowsingchuy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by jchowsingchuy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:09 pm

is it still recommended to take SAT on top of A-level?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:208

Post by slmkhoo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

jchowsingchuy wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:09 pm
is it still recommended to take SAT on top of A-level?
Only if you want to apply to overseas universities or Yale-NUS.

RAFFLESIAN123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by RAFFLESIAN123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Deleted post
Last edited by RAFFLESIAN123 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAFFLESIAN123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Deleted post

Post by RAFFLESIAN123 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Deleted post
Last edited by RAFFLESIAN123 on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:131

Post by phtthp » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:45 pm

How did you enter RI ?

If you are a JAE student, taken O-level exam, suggest that u send an email to the Principal of that particular Junior College you are interested in, check if still got any more vacancy for Transfer.

If no vacancy, cannot proceed
If got vacancy, still got hope

They will inform you, whether or not, got vacancy

But, if you applied for DSA into RI at Sec 4 and had entered RI successfully through DSA route, sorry, Moe won't allow you to change Junior College

Another thing is, how do rest of other classmates in your RI class feel ? Do they feel the same way, as you ? You do have a class whatsapp chat-group for students, or a class whatsapp chat-group for parents, don't you? Perhaps, raise this inquiry up first, inside the chat-group.

If Yes, if majority of your JC1 classmates feel that it is important and they do want to have a GP exam mid-year, ask your class rep (either student or a parent volunteer assigned role) to bring this up to the attention of HOD (GP) department in charge, and also cc Principal of RI attention, keep him in the loop, inside your email, so that P is aware

If after raised this issue , and RI decide to change, administer GP mid year exam, then solve your headache : no need to seek to transfer to another JC, anymore

Also, find out (check)
Is it only RI did not conduct any GP (General Paper) mid-year test for entire level JC1 , or other Junior Colleges also do the same likewise ?

Find out, which are the Junior Colleges that do give GP exam mid-year, in JC1 ? If majority of other JCs do give GP exam, then RI indeed is the odd one out
Last edited by phtthp on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.