Networking Group - JCs General

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
happycheryl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Networking Group - JCs General

Post by happycheryl » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am

ilovelaksa wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:04 pm
ngl2010 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm
Raflesian123, the GP teachers are building your knowledge first before they teach you how to write an essay. I believe they have given you a few thick stacks on some topics? Have you read those? GP is also about knowledge. Even if you know how to write an essay but don't have good knowledge, you won't get high mark. So, it is important that you build your knowledge by reading widely e.g. newspapers, magazines, online news, school handouts, etc.

Also, there are model essays you can read on KS Bull. They are in the student portal. According to my son, the standard is very high. Go and read those. But don't panic if you can't write like that as those are extreme examples (very good ones).
Tbvvh, my older 2 children don’t like KS Bull. They read 1 or 2 essays. But they cldnt understand them lol. They also don’t read their school notes nor even their school’s GP essay publication cuz they said they were too boring.
The only thing they read everyday without fail is the newspapers.
Since they love to read the news, they should probably read more editorials or magazines like the economist. The quality of english in the economist is very very good.

jchowsingchuy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jchowsingchuy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm

happycheryl wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am
ilovelaksa wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm
Raflesian123, the GP teachers are building your knowledge first before they teach you how to write an essay. I believe they have given you a few thick stacks on some topics? Have you read those? GP is also about knowledge. Even if you know how to write an essay but don't have good knowledge, you won't get high mark. So, it is important that you build your knowledge by reading widely e.g. newspapers, magazines, online news, school handouts, etc.

Also, there are model essays you can read on KS Bull. They are in the student portal. According to my son, the standard is very high. Go and read those. But don't panic if you can't write like that as those are extreme examples (very good ones).
Tbvvh, my older 2 children don’t like KS Bull. They read 1 or 2 essays. But they cldnt understand them lol. They also don’t read their school notes nor even their school’s GP essay publication cuz they said they were too boring.
Since they love to read the news, they should probably read more editorials or magazines like the economist. The quality of english in the economist is very very good.
Problem with reading the economist / times/ NYtimes / herald etc etc etc is that they can't remember what they read. Even if the students do a summary of each article it'd be too time consuming. I suggest reading KS Bull or any other compilation essay book by some teachers so that it's more targeted. Obviously if the student got a lot of time then the economist etc will be good. We have to be realistic here.

happycheryl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by happycheryl » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:53 pm

jchowsingchuy wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm
happycheryl wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am
ilovelaksa wrote:

Problem with reading the economist / times/ NYtimes / herald etc etc etc is that they can't remember what they read. Even if the students do a summary of each article it'd be too time consuming. I suggest reading KS Bull or any other compilation essay book by some teachers so that it's more targeted. Obviously if the student got a lot of time then the economist etc will be good. We have to be realistic here.
Yes, but I'm being realistic here because her children don't like KS Bull. So rather I think they should read something that might be more interesting to them and they can improve their english in the same way as well. My son did the same thing too. He used to read an article on the Economist and list words that he didn't know and then he'd look up their definitions and learn those words. To each his own I guess :)

doodbug
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by doodbug » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

Would appreciate any advice parents or existing JC students can give on this....
1) Between H2 History and H2 Econs, which is heavier?
2) Is there anyone who does Bio, Chem, Maths and History? Is this combination too heavy?

Thank you.

hesterMOM
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Total Likes:1

Post by hesterMOM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Possible consequences of not taking a CCA in JC?

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by JJ1111 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am

hesterMOM wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 pm
Will hinder the chance of getting scholarship especially "popular" scholarship or "popular" course in Uni which there are majority of the students has outstanding result hence the student need to show case something out of academic as in leadership etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:212

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 am

JJ1111 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am
hesterMOM wrote:
Will hinder the chance of getting scholarship especially "popular" scholarship or "popular" course in Uni which there are majority of the students has outstanding result hence the student need to show case something out of academic as in leadership etc.
But if the student is only considering applying to a university course which looks only at grades (no interview etc), then it's probably OK.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:165

Post by floppy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 am
JJ1111 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:15 am
hesterMOM wrote:
But if the student is only considering applying to a university course which looks only at grades (no interview etc), then it's probably OK.
Yup.

While CCA is mainly useful for scholarship, I would still suggest taking up one or two CCA to ensure “work-life” balance and wider circle of friends.

Steven Cheng
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Steven Cheng » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:10 am

Anyone's child taking A level H2 biology? whats their feedback?