HCI OR RI???

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

HCI OR RI???

Postby underscores_ » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:39 pm

I just got my results today and I got raw score 7 and 4 for bonus points so nett score is 3.

I am a little torn between hci and ri.
most of the people from my school (a chinese school) is telling me to choose hci but I would like to know more!
I am attending hci's open house tmr but is most likely unable to attend ri's on wed.

besides, does anyone know of the chances of me getting into either of these schools since my nett score is 3 instead of 2?
and what are the chances of appeal??

thanks ^^

underscores_
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: HCI OR RI???

Postby zbear » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:21 am

I thot entry point for both RI n HCI is 3? Its best you attend their open houses n have a feel of the school culture n environment.

Both schools are equally good but I think most people would prefer RI compared to HCI (just like those who has to decide between RGS n NYGS). RI is THE SCHOOL n only the best can enter.

However, do note that you need to flow in with the school culture (HCI is definitely more Chinese oriented vs RI) in order to excel.

Good luck to your selection. What did your parents have to say?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby micko07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

zbear wrote:I thot entry point for both RI n HCI is 3? Its best you attend their open houses n have a feel of the school culture n environment.

Both schools are equally good but I think most people would prefer RI compared to HCI (just like those who has to decide between RGS n NYGS). RI is THE SCHOOL n only the best can enter.

However, do note that you need to flow in with the school culture (HCI is definitely more Chinese oriented vs RI) in order to excel.

Good luck to your selection. What did your parents have to say?

I contest the bits I bolded. I do not think that RI is "the school" (although it is indeed an excellent school). You yourself correctly pointed out that the COP for both HCI and RI are 3, which would suggest that they are on par in terms of entry difficulty. I'm also somewhat doubtful as to whether it's a "given" that most people prefer RI over HCI (or RGS over NYGH for that matter). Neither do I think that HCI is very "Chinese oriented", at least not at JC level from my experience.

OP, congrats on your excellent results! I'd try to speak to current students/ alumni and go for the Open Houses to get a feel of the schools. Maybe have a look at the CCAs offered, and consider if you want to apply to special programmes (eg Regional Studies Programme, Bicultural Studies, Art Elective) as well. It might also be worth considering distance if one is significantly further than the other. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either school.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

2 people like this post

Postby love1001 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:39 am

Both are excellent schools just that the highest number of prestigious (top) scholarships are awarded to RIJC students. HCI is next followed by NJC. It is obvious which school is higher rating. :)
Choose the one that is nearer to your home.

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:32 am

love1001 wrote:Both are excellent schools just that the highest number of prestigious (top) scholarships are awarded to RIJC students. HCI is next followed by NJC. It is obvious which school is higher rating. :)

You have just reinforced the message which I am trying to put across in my earlier post and as I expected, my post has raised unhappiness amongst some.

Thank you. :smile:

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby micko07 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 pm

zbear wrote:
love1001 wrote:Both are excellent schools just that the highest number of prestigious (top) scholarships are awarded to RIJC students. HCI is next followed by NJC. It is obvious which school is higher rating. :)

You have just reinforced the message which I am trying to put across in my earlier post and as I expected, my post has raised unhappiness amongst some.

Thank you. :smile:

So a school's barometer of success should be just on whether it gets more "top scholarships" (which fluctuates year on year)? I don't agree with that proposition for the reason that bonded scholarships should only be taken if someone genuinely wants a career in that organization. Whatever the schools say (and I hate how they push people to apply), it's not appropriate to think of scholarships as the sole barometer of student success, since not everyone wants or is suited to be a scholar (and I say that as a scholar myself, so it's not a case of sour grapes). There are plenty of capable people who don't take scholarships, and go on to very respectable universities and careers in the private sector. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, last I checked, I though HCI had more PSC scholars for 2013?(http://www.hci.edu.sg/news/hwa-chong-pr ... -this-year) Unless you mean President Scholars only? What about other highly regarded scholarships like Lee Foundation or Jardine?

That said, I suspect RI does a better job at A levels than HCI, although that's to some extent speculation on my part because there's very little statistics around. And also probably overseas university admissions (although it could simply be because they have more applicants).

I rest my case. If people want to use number of scholarships awarded as their barometer of school excellence, fine by me.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby love1001 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:11 am

When it comes to choosing a school, isn't results one of the most important factor that people consider? Apart from prestigious scholarship, RI also has the largest pool of students obtaining 12 & 13 academic unit distinctions in A -level. Anyway it is common to hear people who could not get a scholarship say they are not interested as they do not want to be tied down by the bond etc... The question is even if they are interested, are they able to get. Even if there are people who simply refuse to believe, it is just a fact which JC is most sought after and highly regarded. When there are 2 equally good school, there is definitely 1 that is "gooder" for some reasons. To conclude, I would be extremely happy if in future, my children could enter any of these 3 top JCs.

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby rains » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 am

A big part of RJC students is made up of RI and RGS students, and many of them (likely to be more than HCI and NYGH altho I don't have the figures) are geppers. That would have 'guaranteed' its stellar results. Of course, I am sure the geppers wouldn't have chosen RI and RGS if they were not the 'gooder' schools. I would say that RI and RGS are more like GEP centres in which the programmes are run to develop geppers and the extremely bright children. In this sense, RJC is a 'gooder' school.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:07 am

Many of DD's cohort 2 pointers are applying RI. She's skeptical if COP of RI can remain at 3 for this year. Even at 3, it will likely be a slight partial 3.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ilovelaksa » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 am

rains wrote:A big part of RJC students is made up of RI and RGS students, and many of them (likely to be more than HCI and NYGH altho I don't have the figures) are geppers. That would have 'guaranteed' its stellar results. Of course, I am sure the geppers wouldn't have chosen RI and RGS if they were not the 'gooder' schools. I would say that RI and RGS are more like GEP centres in which the programmes are run to develop geppers and the extremely bright children. In this sense, RJC is a 'gooder' school.

:goodpost:
I guess if the two schools hv the best, they are expected to produce the best.
Sometimes I do empathised with the children from Raffles and Hwa Chong. Societal pressure on them to produce results can be extremely strong.
I read that there are Raffles kids who cried when they rec less than straight As. I really feel for them bcos sch n family pressure must hv bn really strong if they deemed 3As+1B as a poor showing.
My nb ds jus got B3 in O lvl MT n he was so depressed as his parents were rather upset. I was told insensitive ppl were makg nasty comments on how he can possibly get B3 coming from HC.
Contrastgly, my ds fren was praised for his B3 as he comes fm a sch not kn to prod gd chinese results.
Same results but diff reactions.

ilovelaksa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees