Oversea university - University of Toronto ?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Oversea university - University of Toronto ?

Postby newbie1979 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

My son is waiting for the A level results. The best case scenario is he can get into the local universities.

Looking at the published IGP, the 10th and 90th percentile looks very high indeed and wonder how students scored so good results.

If my son cannot get into a local university, one option is to go overseas but I'm aware the high cost. I believed it'll be around 150k to 200k for 3-year study.

He is keen on doing accountancy and apply to Uni of Toronto but I am not sure if this is a good choice if we're going to spend this money.

Anyone can share about this university? or any suggestion for accountancy degree course?

Re: Oversea university - University of Toronto ?

Postby aussiegrad » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, you are right in considering the reputation of the university.

After my JC, i couldn't enter local university and hence went to Australia. Since you are asking for which other university is good, why not start with "the economist" website. They typically do rank universities based on certain majors. For example, MIT may be ranked 1 in the world, but for accountancy, may ranked 5 etc.

Beside the universities, has your son ask himself why he is keen to do accountancy? I have seen friends or relatives who went into accountancy but didn't like it and dropped out. Reality and perception for courses can be drastically different. Imagine the investment to have your son dropped out due to the course not meeting his expectation of what accountant does?

Also, how often do you expect your son to come back? every holidays? Toronto is far, average cost is 2000 per return trip. Ever considered anywhere closer? UNSW is one of the top uni in Asia Pacific for accountancy.

Cost can be managed by whether he is willing to work. I must say i was fortunate to have my dad pay for 3 years of fees, while i took a loan of 30K for my first year fees plus working to pay for my own rent and expenses during my time for 4 years. This combination helps to lower the cost of my dad to about AUD 57k. If it was to include my living, the cost would balloon to AUD130k. Rent is not cheap.

Studying overseas requires a lot of research, preparation. Your son is lucky to have you worried for him. As for me, my dad didn't study much and as the first in the family (extended as well) to go overseas, I went through the hard way in finding my own information, visa application, bank opening, tax declaration etc.

Good Luck. Do consider some European countries as well as your son may as well picked up another language while there which can be useful in the future to differentiate himself against foreign talent.

Re: Oversea university - University of Toronto ?

Postby sleepy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:55 am

Take ACCA full time in Singapore? At least lower cost to ascertain his interest.

You might want to read up this thread too http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... ca#p579745

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees