Appeal to HCJC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Appeal to HCJC

Postby noobqueen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi, my DD olevel results came out and she got 6 nett. She really wants to go HCJC but knows her chances are low. Just wanted to ask what do you think are her chances? We are now considering if we should put HCJC first or NJC because just in case she can't get into NJC, she can stand a higher chance for appeal to NJC if she put it first.

noobqueen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Appeal to HCJC

Postby Skyed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 pm

6 nett is impossible unless your cca is stunning. Plenty of 3 pointers appeal into HC and RJ since the 3 cutoff is partial.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Lynn2010 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:59 am

I understand that even those 3 pointers who applied, they will look at your overall score. That is, eg. my DD case, she was told by RJ this:

Last year, dd and friend went to RJ open house. DD has 9A1s while friend 7A1 and i think a A2 or B3. RJ told my DD to proceed and she will get a place while telling the friend to give up trying (or something to this extend)

Hence, i believe HC may be similar

Lynn2010
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby FrekiWang » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Even 5 pointers who fail to be admitted into NJC (NJC only takes partial 5 pointers by balloting) will not be able appeal in. The 20 vacancies approximately for appealing cases are distributed to about 10 niche CCAs. You need to have a sound record and a list of achievements in the CCA that NJC is interested in.

90%+ of the appealing cases end up as failures as NJC has only about 20 vacancies for more than 200 candidates every year.

FrekiWang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SupaSiMCraft » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Lynn2010 wrote:Last year, dd and friend went to RJ open house. DD has 9A1s while friend 7A1 and i think a A2 or B3. RJ told my DD to proceed and she will get a place while telling the friend to give up trying (or something to this extend)

Uh oh... does this mean I might not be able to go to Raffles? I had a raw score of 6 points. I've deducted 2 for a pass in HCL and 2 for CCA, so my final score is 2. My results were as follows:
English- A1
HCL- C6 :sweat:
Combined Humanities (SS+Elective geog)- B3
Higher Music- A1
Mathematics- A1
A Maths- A1
Chemistry- A1
Biology- A1
Chinese (pu tong hua wen )- A1
I only have 7 A1s and I barely passed HCL...

SupaSiMCraft
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jtoh » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm

SupaSiMCraft wrote:
Lynn2010 wrote:Last year, dd and friend went to RJ open house. DD has 9A1s while friend 7A1 and i think a A2 or B3. RJ told my DD to proceed and she will get a place while telling the friend to give up trying (or something to this extend)

Uh oh... does this mean I might not be able to go to Raffles? I had a raw score of 6 points. I've deducted 2 for a pass in HCL and 2 for CCA, so my final score is 2. My results were as follows:
English- A1
Higher Music- A1
Mathematics- A1
A Maths- A1
Chemistry- A1
Biology- A1

Congrats on your excellent results.

Your nett score is 2. No problem getting into RJC.

Out of curiosity, you scored A1 for CL and C6 for HCL. Was the HCL paper that tough?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby SupaSiMCraft » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:01 pm

jtoh wrote:Out of curiosity, you scored A1 for CL and C6 for HCL. Was the HCL paper that tough?

Not really actually, can't have been that tough since it got at least 89% passes in my school :smile:

SupaSiMCraft
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zeemimi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm

jtoh wrote:
SupaSiMCraft wrote:

English- A1
Higher Music- A1
Mathematics- A1
A Maths- A1
Chemistry- A1
Biology- A1

Congrats on your excellent results.

Your nett score is 2. No problem getting into RJC.

Out of curiosity, you scored A1 for CL and C6 for HCL. Was the HCL paper that tough?

Is it a "confirm" all 2 pointers can get into RJC? now dd also thinking if she can get in since there are many 2 pointers around. According to DD, the HCL paper was manageable but she was only expecting a B3. So she was overjoyed with an A.
The ESIP is given to top 5% of the O level cohort. Anybody knows what is the cutoff?
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi zeemimi,

In the past few years, all 2 pointers have successfully entered RJC and HJC, as well as many 3 pointers. Unless there's a proliferation of 2 pointers this year, I would think entry to RJC and HJC should be more or less confirmed. Do you sense that there are a lot of 2 pointers this year?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby zeemimi » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:19 pm

jtoh wrote:Hi zeemimi,

In the past few years, all 2 pointers have successfully entered RJC and HJC, as well as many 3 pointers. Unless there's a proliferation of 2 pointers this year, I would think entry to RJC and HJC should be more or less confirmed. Do you sense that there are a lot of 2 pointers this year?

Yup. Her school alone has > 70 2-pointers. I saw the rjc website admits about 250 through jae.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees