[HELP] Need advice for O results

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

[HELP] Need advice for O results

Postby theaberration » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 pm

So I have a L1R5 of 12 raw, after CCA deductions is 10. I wanted to get 9 so I can get into MJC, so it was a real disappointment. Silly me thought it was fine, since I was only 1 point away. Turns out when I asked around the chances of me getting in is near zero. The next choice would be SRJC, but none of my friends are going there (it seems like a stupid reason but bear with me). Both schools are nearly of equal proximity, but many of my friends are going to MJC. Also, my parents are scolding the hell out of me, saying that SRJC is not as good and if I go in I've wasted my 4 years studying since I'm only as good as a 12 pointer blah blah etc. So I want to appeal into MJC, but I don't have any special CCA thing they want and they didn't say anything about non-CCA appeals. This is also my first time trying to appeal, so I don't even know a single thing to do. Or should I just settle for SRJC and call it a day? I REALLY want to get into MJC but I'm also okay with SRJC. Please help me, I'm very lost. Many thanks.

theaberration
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: [HELP] Need advice for O results

Postby Skyed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm

Put MJ first choice SR second. Honestly SR is one of he better mid tier JCs and if you look at their cop over the years it has been improving. Also the retain rate in MJ is really high (like 100++ people retain a year). But it's worth giving MJ a shot since SR is pretty much a 100% get in option.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Karen Wee » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:53 am

I argee with Skyed idea of putting MJC as your first choice and SRJC as your second. However, there is really no cause for disappointment or worry as SRJC is not a bad choice either. Yes, the cut-off point does differ by 3 but the outcome of your A levels really does boil down to your hardwork. It may sound cliche but the level of desire to do well in you really matters more then the school u are in. Try to mix with the correct crowd (those that also have a desire to do well) during your two-years and with your own hardwork, i can almost guarantee that you would not do any worse then your friends in MJC.
Plus you can also find time to study with your friends in MJC and get all the MJC notes, teacher's feedback etc from them too.

Also, try not to let your parents' scolding get to your confidence or your will to work hard as getting a 12 for your L1R5 is not something that is bad. In fact, you are even better then my daughter who got a 14 for her L1R5. But I knew she worked hard so I don't feel that there is anything wrong with a 14 or even a 12 as long as the person has done his/her best! :rahrah:

On the side note, it is important to know that you are graduating from the "O" levels to face the harder "A" levels so there is no time to be lazy and stop working hard! :wink:

Karen Wee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Elrek01 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Karen Wee wrote:I argee with Skyed idea of putting MJC as your first choice and SRJC as your second. However, there is really no cause for disappointment or worry as SRJC is not a bad choice either. Yes, the cut-off point does differ by 3 but the outcome of your A levels really does boil down to your hardwork. It may sound cliche but the level of desire to do well in you really matters more then the school u are in. Try to mix with the correct crowd (those that also have a desire to do well) during your two-years and with your own hardwork, i can almost guarantee that you would not do any worse then your friends in MJC.
Plus you can also find time to study with your friends in MJC and get all the MJC notes, teacher's feedback etc from them too.

Also, try not to let your parents' scolding get to your confidence or your will to work hard as getting a 12 for your L1R5 is not something that is bad. In fact, you are even better then my daughter who got a 14 for her L1R5. But I knew she worked hard so I don't feel that there is anything wrong with a 14 or even a 12 as long as the person has done his/her best! :rahrah:

On the side note, it is important to know that you are graduating from the "O" levels to face the harder "A" levels so there is no time to be lazy and stop working hard! :wink:

i agree with Karen's point,because my friend borrow geography note from his st nic friend,he nvr share with classmate except me=.=
we two save the time to find other sch's note(our sch note is those abridge ver. lol) and at the end we both got A in our O's

Elrek01
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees