VJC arts or TJC science!!!

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

VJC arts or TJC science!!!

Postby jcstudent97 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:46 am

Hi, my son scored a raw L1R5 score of 10, with 4 bonus points so with a net aggregate of 6, should he go to VJC arts stream or TJC science stream?

Are arts subjects really harder to score? But would VJC being a better school mean that he would do better for A Levels in VJC than TJC?

Also, does VJC offer hybrid combination for the arts stream? The website lists it under science stream so I'm wondering if it's possible...

Thanks for your help! :smile:

jcstudent97
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: VJC arts or TJC science!!!

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:39 am

A better question to ask might be which subjects your son prefers to study and what kind of career he is enthused by. It's not the college that gets the grades but the student, and he is likely to study better if he is interested in the subjects.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jcstudent97 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:53 am

slmkhoo wrote:A better question to ask might be which subjects your son prefers to study and what kind of career he is enthused by. It's not the college that gets the grades but the student, and he is likely to study better if he is interested in the subjects.

He's actually interested in trying something new and taking the arts subjects, but he doesn't want to give up science because he's been taking it for so many years... As for career choice, the courses that he wants to take in uni have no prerequisites.

jcstudent97
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby lynntan15 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 am

jcstudent97 wrote:As for career choice, the courses that he wants to take in uni have no prerequisites.

I would look at his stronger subjects, whether it is lean toward "art" or "science". It would be easier for him to score at A level for his stronger subjects. HTH.

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJ1111 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:15 pm

lynntan15 wrote:
jcstudent97 wrote:As for career choice, the courses that he wants to take in uni have no prerequisites.

I would look at his stronger subjects, whether it is lean toward "art" or "science". It would be easier for him to score at A level for his stronger subjects. HTH.

I agreed with lynntan15. Since there is no prerequisites for the course he wanted in Uni. Than he should take the stream that he is strong in, so that he is able to score well in Alevel. Ideally, all A. :)

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:22 pm

jcstudent97 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:A better question to ask might be which subjects your son prefers to study and what kind of career he is enthused by. It's not the college that gets the grades but the student, and he is likely to study better if he is interested in the subjects.

He's actually interested in trying something new and taking the arts subjects, but he doesn't want to give up science because he's been taking it for so many years... As for career choice, the courses that he wants to take in uni have no prerequisites.

In that case, he should go for the hybrid combinations with 1 or 2 humanities. I believe such combinations are still considered 'science'.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Karen Wee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:23 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
jcstudent97 wrote:

In that case, he should go for the hybrid combinations with 1 or 2 humanities. I believe such combinations are still considered 'science'.

One more thing....when he is choosing his "hybrid" subject combi do ask him to try to take H2 maths as if I am not wrong, alot of engineering courses in Uni needs its applicants to have a foundation in H2 maths. If he is pretty sure in taking up only a degree in economics, business and accountancy(?) then H1 or even Additional Mathematics would do the trick.

Thus taking up H2 maths would essentially keep his choices open for either a science or arts major in Uni. :rahrah:

For more information on the minimum subject requirements for a specific degree programme and its Indicative Grade Profile, do check out the websites of the three Unis too!

If your son is still interested in seeing what are the other choices available out there, do try out these two sites that I have found.

http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/cut-off-points-for-JC
http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/polytechnic-courses-cut-off-point

What's special about it is that he can just key in his respective cut-off points for JC or Poly and the system would automatically give him all the available choices to choose from.

Hope that i could help! :xedfingers:

Karen Wee
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jcstudent97 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Karen Wee wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
jcstudent97 wrote:He's actually interested in trying something new and taking the arts subjects, but he doesn't want to give up science because he's been taking it for so many years... As for career choice, the courses that he wants to take in uni have no prerequisites.

One more thing....when he is choosing his "hybrid" subject combi do ask him to try to take H2 maths as if I am not wrong, alot of engineering courses in Uni needs its applicants to have a foundation in H2 maths. If he is pretty sure in taking up only a degree in economics, business and accountancy(?) then H1 or even Additional Mathematics would do the trick.

Thus taking up H2 maths would essentially keep his choices open for either a science or arts major in Uni. :rahrah:

For more information on the minimum subject requirements for a specific degree programme and its Indicative Grade Profile, do check out the websites of the three Unis too!

If your son is still interested in seeing what are the other choices available out there, do try out these two sites that I have found.

http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/cut-off-points-for-JC
http://www.cutoffpoint.sg/polytechnic-courses-cut-off-point

What's special about it is that he can just key in his respective cut-off points for JC or Poly and the system would automatically give him all the available choices to choose from.

Hope that i could help! :xedfingers:

Wow... Thanks for everyone's help!
I think he's gonna go with TJ science then VJ arts in his order of choices... Because taking 3 arts subjects he has never taken before might be too challenging...
Also, the TJC website's subject combinations for 2014 page doesn't show a hybrid combination with bio instead of chem or physics. Does this mean hybrid combination cannot take with bio?

jcstudent97
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees