Bonus points available to use for JC/MI application

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Bonus points available to use for JC/MI application

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:42 pm

P1 registration is not based on meritocracy. Admission into sec, JC/MI, Poly and uni is based on meritocracy.

I'm puzzled why there's affiliation bonus points.

Bonus pts awarded based on CCA grades, HMT, MSP/CSP and Bahasa Indonesia as 3rd lang, applied and selected for CLEP or MLEP, these I'm not so puzzled becos there's some merit and effort put in by students. But the affiliation bonus points, that I cannot understand.

My view is that there will not be any major overhaul of the P1 registration system becos it seems the gvt is rather committed to affiliation and alumni.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Bonus points available to use for JC/MI application

Postby rains » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:08 pm

I am curious as to what you are trying to say.

You seem to think that the affiliation points stem from primary school registration? If this is what you think, I would like to clarify that the affiliation points would come from the secondary school eg. Chung Cheng High (Main and Yishun) is affiliated to Nyjc, Maris Stella is affiliated to Cjc.

If you like, you can always get your kid/s to choose a secondary school with affiliation to a jc of your preference and your kid/s will also enjoy the affiliation points.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I understand that affiliation points do not stem from P1 registration. Let me try to present my idea clearer.

There have been many posts against the use of alumni for P1 registration and calls for it to be reviewed by MOE.

Now, here we have affiliation advantage for PSLE and O levels, both placement tests based on meritocracy.

My interpretation from the PSLE affiliated points (not sure what's the correct term) and O level affiliation bonus points is that it seems MOE is committed to affiliation and alumi relationships at all levels from primary, sec to JC, keeping all in the family so to speak, thus my conclusion is that there will not be any major overhaul for the P1 registration poilcy, in regards to Phase 2A1/2. My view of the recent P1 registration change is that it's brilliant. This view does not mean I support or against the change. He/She/They had implemented a change that will only affect a handful of schools while keeping things more or less status quo. It is truely brilliant in my view.

I do not begrudge pple from using the affiliation PSLE points and O level bonus points because MOE has provided it as an option.

Nonetheless, I'm puzzled why in a meritocracy based education system, the affiliation PSLE points and O level bonus points exist.

Not sure if my kids will be suited or able to get into those sec schools with affiliation. The bonus points will not determine my choice, suitability is how I choose, factoring in their PSLE scores. Hopefully, when it's their turn my kids will follow my advice. I did not enjoy affiliation advantage during my education, so I'm not particular about my kids' ability to take advantage of such bonuses.

Still I'm puzzled. It makes me wonder, that's all.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:25 am

Looking thru the list, I finally understand how it is possible to obtain zero point for O levels. Amazing.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zeemimi » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:47 am

0 pts is not common. Most with 2 pts are very satisfied already.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby havok_ex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:19 am

Actually, in my opinion, those 2 bonus points to affiliated JCs are pretty useless. JC itself is not the end point. So what if you got into a 'good' JC or a JC of your choice? Doesn't guarantee that your A-level will be good. You still have to work equally hard as those from neighbourhood JCs to get good grades. When in university, no one cares about which JC you come from either. On top of that, the only affiliated JCs are ACJC(6 pts), CJC(10 pts), SAJC(9 pts), NYJC(8 pts). Then there are HCI and RI. If you are scoring around this range, you would still have a ton of options of JCs to get into. It all boils down to effort, what JC doesn't really matter. Who cares which JC you come from anyways? What matters more is what uni and course you get into in the end.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ReachTutor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:47 am

I'm afraid that there might be some misconceptions here. Usually, a maximum of 4 bonus points will be allowed (mostly 2 from Higher Mother Tongue and 2 from CCA). Unless the student have applied for CLEP or MLEP and is selected, then 2 other bonus points will be awarded. For more information, you might want to check out http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/jae/faqs/#faq-5 or you can PM me personally. :smile:

ReachTutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:49 am

havok_ex wrote:Actually, in my opinion, those 2 bonus points to affiliated JCs are pretty useless. JC itself is not the end point. So what if you got into a 'good' JC or a JC of your choice? Doesn't guarantee that your A-level will be good. You still have to work equally hard as those from neighbourhood JCs to get good grades. When in university, no one cares about which JC you come from either. On top of that, the only affiliated JCs are ACJC(6 pts), CJC(10 pts), SAJC(9 pts), NYJC(8 pts).

If I am not wrong, Mainstream VS has 2 points affiliation to VJC n everyone knows its not easy to enter VJC unless you are very good. So its an advantage.

I think the point here is to cross the hurdle to go to a good JC n not so much as how important it is to enter the U. Its just like trying to get into an IP Sec School based on PSLE results. Cross the bridge one step at a time. The first step is to get into a better JC n then work hard for A levels. Of course, there is no guarantee in anything but at least you have tried.

That is just my humble opinion and I know everyone will differ.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby havok_ex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm

zbear wrote:
I think the point here is to cross the hurdle to go to a good JC n not so much as how important it is to enter the U. Its just like trying to get into an IP Sec School based on PSLE results. Cross the bridge one step at a time. The first step is to get into a better JC n then work hard for A levels. Of course, there is no guarantee in anything but at least you have tried.

That is just my humble opinion and I know everyone will differ.

That's a very narrow view of thinking. You should look at it in the long run, what is the end result. Do you want to get into a good sec school? Or do you want to get into a good uni? There is a difference. People tend to think that good sec school>good JC>good uni. That's not the case. To me, the first step should be ensuring that your child wants to take A-levels, then work hard towards it, no matter what JC you come from.

"Not so much as how important it is to enter U", so what if you got into a good JC but not into a good uni? Are you gonna tell your employer, 'oh but I was from ACJC last time'. Does anyone care? Honestly, no, no one cares what JC you went to. Your pre-U education is almost never brought up in university life either. Everyone literally starts from scratch, I've seen a DDD/D student scoring a 4.5 and above in their first year of uni, a poly gpa 3.2 student scoring a 4.3 while an ABB/B student barely keeping his head above water.

I don't agree with the 'every school is a good school' mantra but what I do believe in is hard work and aptitude. These things come from within, no JC can bring it out of your child.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:25 pm

zeemimi wrote:0 pts is not common. Most with 2 pts are very satisfied already.

I'm not using that as a goal for my kids. I'm just amazed it can be achieved. :smile:

Just add 2 points is fantastic too.

I'm influenced by ds and bb. Recently, their words of encouragement to me have been very awesome LOL.
Last edited by SAHM_TAN on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees