Knowledge & Inquiry (KI)

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Knowledge & Inquiry (KI)

Postby jtoh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 am

Anyone familiar with KI? I know it's an H2 subject as opposed to GP which is H1. How relevant is KI to uni applications? As in, how recognized is it. I hear it's a lot of work compared to GP. So the question is, is it worth it taking KI?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Knowledge & Inquiry (KI)

Postby Skyed » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 pm

Most schools have a test even if you want to take KI - generally quite few ppl take. There's an independent study paper on top of the A level paper. The IS paper is supposed to be drafted during your J1 year and fine tuned in J2 for submission.

Skyed
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby havok_ex » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:31 pm

For local uni applications, they won't really care. What they want to see is GP, PW, 3H2, 1H1. Even if you take 4H2, you are actually NOT at an advantage over your peers. Say, if you took 4H2 and scored AAAB vs a person who took 3H2 1H1 and scored AAAA. The 3H2 student would be at an advantage as compared to you. Additional H2 subjects and H3 subjects are only used for scholarship applications or overseas universities.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby godiva » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Is KI recognised as a H2 subject for overseas universities?

If one is applying to do Law, would one have an advantage taking KI rather than GP? For both local U as well as overseas universities?

godiva
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Augmum » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Btw, how many JCs offer KI ??

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BitterSweet » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:51 am

godiva wrote:Is KI recognised as a H2 subject for overseas universities?

If one is applying to do Law, would one have an advantage taking KI rather than GP? For both local U as well as overseas universities?

According to my seniors, most US unis recognise it (probably because US recognises a lot of non-traditional subjects like psychology, business, etc.) For UK unis, some do and some don't. LSE doesn't, but I think Oxbridge does. I just emailed Oxford to ask if they recognise it, I'll post their reply when I get it.

As for whether it gives you an advantage, it depends on how well you can sell it. For example, in UK personal statements, they encourage you to talk about how the subjects you studied make you suited to study whatever course you're applying for, so if you can sell it well and convince them that KI has prepared you well for Law, then it could benefit you.

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby jtoh » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:11 pm

BitterSweet, thanks for your reply. Are you in J1 and are you planning on taking KI? I understand that both Cambridge and Oxford recognize KI as a subject. Read it on an MOE site.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby love1001 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:20 pm

love1001
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BitterSweet » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:41 pm

BitterSweet wrote:
godiva wrote:Is KI recognised as a H2 subject for overseas universities?

According to my seniors, most US unis recognise it (probably because US recognises a lot of non-traditional subjects like psychology, business, etc.) For UK unis, some do and some don't. LSE doesn't, but I think Oxbridge does. I just emailed Oxford to ask if they recognise it, I'll post their reply when I get it.

As for whether it gives you an advantage, it depends on how well you can sell it. For example, in UK personal statements, they encourage you to talk about how the subjects you studied make you suited to study whatever course you're applying for, so if you can sell it well and convince them that KI has prepared you well for Law, then it could benefit you.

just to confirm, Oxford emailed me back and said that they do recognise KI as a content subject

BitterSweet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Augmum wrote:Btw, how many JCs offer KI ??

I am reviving this thread. Which JCs offer KI? DS is keen to take up this subj next time so wild like to find out more it.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees