Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Knowledge & Inquiry (KI)

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Re: Knowledge & Inquiry (KI)

Postby Schootopia » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:24 pm

KI introduces a bit of philosophy. It reminds me of the famous Politics, Philosophy and Economics (PPE) combination at Oxford.

PPE used to be highly popular with people who intend to go into politics and public service. I remember reading in the news about Bill Clinton making a trip to Oxford to pitch for her daughter when I was at Cambridge. At that time, Oxford was more famous for such artsy degrees, and Cambridge for the sciences. PPE was touted as a passport to power and influence. Bill Clinton and Australian PM Tony Abbott took PPE on Rhodes scholarships. Former British PM David Cameron is another graduate. There were also scholars from Singapore who went into civil and military services. I was surprised to run into the S3 of my NSF company at a Judge Business School event at Cambridge. I recalled he was a fast climber up the military ladder, being a Major at age 28. His mum was a politician. He was an Oxford PPE grad.

So I Guess KI is a small appetiser. You have to ask if it fits in well with your future academic and career intentions. You have to ask if you have the aptitude, resources and environment for this kind of subject.

And, nope, I dun think it's going to work by mugging spoon-fed notes, doing ten year series and looking for assessment books in Polular.

:whut:

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby isetan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Ok thks. Cos DD got already selected and she has chosen KI as a subject. So I am just checking if there is any such references in the book store.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks Tianyi89.

Where can I look out for this books?

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Tianyi89 wrote:Congrats to your daughter for choosing to study KI! It is definitely an interesting and challenging journey - but definitely worth it! As for study references, you can consider getting IB book on theory of knowledge or reading up on Bertrand Russell's history of western philosophy!

The number of students selected for this subject is only 13 (out of whole corhot) and seriously speaking we got quite worried if she can make it.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 am

isetan wrote:
Tianyi89 wrote:Congrats to your daughter for choosing to study KI! It is definitely an interesting and challenging journey - but definitely worth it! As for study references, you can consider getting IB book on theory of knowledge or reading up on Bertrand Russell's history of western philosophy!

The number of students selected for this subject is only 13 (out of whole corhot) and seriously speaking we got quite worried if she can make it.

Ask the teachers for a recommended reading list. I'm sure there's one. You shouldn't expect that the reading will be very specifically targeted at any specific part of the KI syllabus, but it will encourage deeper thinking and exploration. Is your daughter a reader and thinker? If she is (and presumably the teachers think so, or she wouldn't have been selected), you shouldn't worry.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks slmkhoo. She is more of a reader.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 am

isetan wrote:Thanks slmkhoo. She is more of a reader.

That's a start. She will need to develop more critical thinking about what she reads, and that will be encouraged during their classes, discussions etc. You can help by engaging her in talking about what she is reading, asking for her opinions, challenging her to consider the issues more deeply, helping her realise that there are few, if any, clearly "right" and "wrong" answers etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby isetan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 am

Thanks slmkhoo & Tianyi89.

isetan
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby emilysam » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

My daughter just choose KI in RI. She failed the selection test for RGS/ RI but tried to grab the chance among O level students. There are around 30 KI students in RI this year. On rare occasion, few student may choose to drop KI at end of JC1 for some reasons, although it's not encouraged. In the end, the final A rate for KI is 80% +/- in RI for past few years.

emilysam
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Previous

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres