Networking Group - Catholic JC

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Networking Group - Catholic JC

Postby footprints » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi parents,

I'm a student who has just gotten her O level results. (Raw: 12, Nett: 8 after use of bonus pts for CCA and HCL) I took 9 subjects, triple science , double maths, Higher Music and Higher Chinese for O levels.

CJC's cut-off pt last year was 10.

I applied for CJC as my first choice so these are my questions:

1) What are my chances of entering CJC? I'm a little worried because there are so many schools affiliated to CJC.

2) I heard that CJC's science stream (Which I applied for) is not that good, is it true? I also heard that CJC's math is considerably weak. Would I need tuition?

3) Would Choir/Band take up a lot of time in CJC?

Thanks in advance!!

footprints
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What is CJC (Catholic JC) like?

Postby footprints » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:23 pm

45has wrote:CJC GP and Chem are better. But the best Chem tutor had already left. And choosing Choir will not help you get a Main Committee position in University. Choose something where you can learn some valuable skills from it.

Oh no.. What's a "Main Committee position"? :scratchhead:
Any suggestions on what CCA I should go for?

Thanks

footprints
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:02 am

footprints wrote:Hi parents,

I'm a student who has just gotten her O level results. (Raw: 12, Nett: 8 after use of bonus pts for CCA and HCL) I took 9 subjects, triple science , double maths, Higher Music and Higher Chinese for O levels.

1) What are my chances of entering CJC? I'm a little worried because there are so many schools affiliated to CJC.

2) I heard that CJC's science stream (Which I applied for) is not that good, is it true? I also heard that CJC's math is considerably weak. Would I need tuition?

Thanks in advance!!

Mu DD in JC1 this year. I understand fro her that chances of making to local uni from this JC are slim. This is based on past record...
is that true... We need to make provision for overseas education fund!

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Dreamgear » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:37 am

DadOfGirl wrote:
footprints wrote:Hi parents,

Thanks in advance!!

Mu DD in JC1 this year. I understand fro her that chances of making to local uni from this JC are slim. This is based on past record...

How can that be? There will always be a % from every jc going to local uni. Only thing is how big is that %..... Even going to hci or ri doesnt guarantee a space in local uni

Dreamgear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:17 pm

DadOfGirl wrote:Mu DD in JC1 this year. I understand fro her that chances of making to local uni from this JC are slim. This is based on past record...

It might be better to look at official statistics released by the school rather than hearsay. Students going into CJC are not weak students so I'm sure many of them do make it to the local unis. It could be that some of the students choose to go to overseas unis which accounts for lower numbers going to the local unis. It's a question you could pose to the JC during the parents briefing.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:32 pm

jtoh wrote:
DadOfGirl wrote:Mu DD in JC1 this year. I understand fro her that chances of making to local uni from this JC are slim. This is based on past record...

It might be better to look at official statistics released by the school rather than hearsay. Students going into CJC are not weak students so I'm sure many of them do make it to the local unis. It could be that some of the students choose to go to overseas unis which accounts for lower numbers going to the local unis. It's a question you could pose to the JC during the parents briefing.

That's tomorrow. I am not sure i want to do that!

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:55 pm

You could ask for statistics on the school's A level results.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jtoh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:01 pm

DadofGirl, CJC's A level results here: http://www.cjc.edu.sg/cos/o.x?c=/wbn/pa ... id=1193484

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby DadOfGirl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:47 pm

jtoh wrote:DadofGirl, CJC's A level results here: http://www.cjc.edu.sg/cos/o.x?c=/wbn/pa ... id=1193484

There are about 50 students 85 points above.
3H2/H1 score could be AAAA or AAAB or AAAC or AABA
I guess 85 points means , they will make it to local unit.

Quite good numbners :smile:

DadOfGirl
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jtoh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes, the numbers are quite good. :) How many students are there per year in CJC?

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees