Applying to Universities

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Parent
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Re: Applying to Universities

Post by Parent » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 am

fanren wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:00 pm
This ntu high tea session invites jc2 students only or include those who just receive a level results ? Thanks
I think it's for those who got their A Level Results recently although I'm surprised someone said JC 2 also got invited.

In fact, not all of nylon DS' classmates received the invitation.

fanren
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by fanren » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:20 am

Parent wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 am
fanren wrote:
This ntu high tea session invites jc2 students only or include those who just receive a level results ? Thanks
I think it's for those who got their A Level Results recently although I'm surprised someone said JC 2 also got invited.

Thanks for your reply. So the high tea includes jc2 plus post a level results students. My Son is currently jc2 and is invited to attend

Yeesim
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Yeesim » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am

Hi, my first child to uni this year. Therefore, there's a lot of stuff I would need help.

1) how many courses can one apply in a uni?
2) given that her grades are really not that good (c, D n E in maths), is there any chance for her to apply any uni?
3) is study loan advisable?

Please help to reply. Thank you so much.

Worrying mum

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:238

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Yeesim wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am
Hi, my first child to uni this year. Therefore, there's a lot of stuff I would need help.

2) given that her grades are really not that good (c, D n E in maths), is there any chance for her to apply any uni?

Worrying mum
There is a separate application form for each university, and I can't remember how many choices there are on each form. At least a few for each university, I think.

Look for "Inidicative Grade Profile" for each course which will be somewhere on each university's website. They will show the grades of the 90th and 10th percentile admissions from last year. If your child's grades are better than the 10th percentile, there is a reasonable chance that she can get in. If the grades are around the 10th percentile, she can still try, especially if her other H1 subjects are good. For eg, my daughter applied for a course where the 10th percentile IGP was BBC/C when her grades were BBD/C. She managed to get in, possibly because her GP and PW were both B's, and she also took a test and was interviewed, so maybe she didn't do too badly in those. But you should also check that she satisfies the prerequisites for the course.

I don't know anything about study loans.

Connecting the dots
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Connecting the dots » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Parent wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:58 am
fanren wrote:

My son received this high tea invite too. But he is not attending. He said all friends who gotten their A lvl results also got it.

anxious.dad
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:10

Post by anxious.dad » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:09 pm
Yeesim wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:49 am

Worrying mum
There is a separate application form for each university, and I can't remember how many choices there are on each form. At least a few for each university, I think.

Look for "Inidicative Grade Profile" for each course which will be somewhere on each university's website. They will show the grades of the 90th and 10th percentile admissions from last year. If your child's grades are better than the 10th percentile, there is a reasonable chance that she can get in. If the grades are around the 10th percentile, she can still try, especially if her other H1 subjects are good. For eg, my daughter applied for a course where the 10th percentile IGP was BBC/C when her grades were BBD/C. She managed to get in, possibly because her GP and PW were both B's, and she also took a test and was interviewed, so maybe she didn't do too badly in those. But you should also check that she satisfies the prerequisites for the course.

I don't know anything about study loans.
Hi Yeesim
Per slmkhoo’s post, each university holds her own admission exercise. Do note that the application deadline for most if not all the 6 autonomous universities is 18 March 2019, next Monday. You may refer to the IGP links for NUS, NTU and SMU below.
NUS: http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/docs/default- ... f8ed03db_2
NTU: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_fil ... TU_IGP.pdf
SMU: https://admissions.smu.edu.sg/admission ... ofiles-igp

As SUTD, SIT and SUSS do not published their IGP, it is difficult to advise if your child could gain admission. However, the unis do look beyond grade, for example, SIT conducts MMI (multi mini interviews) for admission purpose. Also, most if not all the unis conduct discretionary admission, please refer to the below link from NUS.
NUS: https://www.askadmissions.nus.edu.sg/a ... admissions

Other than the autonomous universities, there are also many private schools/ universities that you may consider, such as:
SIM Global:https://www.simge.edu.sg/programmes/
Kaplan: http://www.kaplan.com.sg/courses/bachelor/
MDIS: https://www.mdis.edu.sg/
Lasalle: https://www.lasalle.edu.sg/programmes/ba-hons
James Cook Uni: https://www.jcu.edu.sg/
Curtin: https://curtin.edu.sg/

Alternatively, your child may also enrol into a course of her interest at the polytechnic before embarking on the uni journey later.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:58 pm

Parent wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 pm
My DS PSLE is 23o+
The psle score is just a number. Leave it at the sec sch or jc door.
I personally kn two children with low 23+ in nus medicine and smu law.
In fact I also two sets of brothers.
Older bros are top psle students (27+), younger bros are 25+ and 24+. The younger bros are the ones who got into Ox/bridge and NUS med.
Work hard n follow yr dreams.
Don’t let a number limit yr potential.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:59 pm

Song22 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 pm
So does it mean one can apply oxford in one year, then Cambridge on another ?
This one I am not sure sia

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Song22 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:42 pm
Hi Ilovelaksa

Do you mind to share what course did your son’s Friend got in at imperial and which course is he applying at Cambridge? Thanks! :smile:

I got news that he got into Cambridge. He applied for engrg for Camb and Imp. He has B in PW and C in gp.
I used to think straight As n H3 distinction only for Oxbridge. But I don’t they are looking at that now.
In case you are wondering, he is also not from the top JCs.
ilovelaksa wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 pm
Son just asked me to continue obsessing over Lee Dong Wook and stop kaypohing over his frens’ grades lol

Anyway, cfm
AAAA/CB (gp C pw B), no H3. Imperial offer, NTU REP offer, NUS GMS offer, waiting *Cambridge*.

AAAA/BA (gp B). NTU REP offer. Not on scholarship.

AABB/A (KI A), no H3. NUS+SMU+Oxford law offers. Not on scholarship.

AAAA/AA, H3 distinction, outstanding CCA/NS (his NS achievement is truly outstanding), dbl deg in SMU. Not on scholarship.

3 with straights As and outstanding CCAs in overseas Physiotherapy, NUS Nursing and NUS Bizad.

The 2 boys who applied Oxford or Cambridge had psle 24+, Both had to appeal to their sec sch.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

isetan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 pm
My fren DS- AAA/AAA. Failed to get offer from both SMU/NTU Law but got an offer from UCL of UK instead.
In funds permit:
UCL is an awesome uni. The 2 Singaporeans I kn there are first class honours students. In UK, they award way more first class and 2nd upper honours in law than our local uni.
If funds don’t permit:
If it is DS, can reapply again. I read someone applied for NUS/SMU law 3x, he got into NUS Law at the 3rd try.
If it is DD, also can reapply. A girl I kn took a gap year to do her bmat. Later she got into NUS Science in the following year. She reapplied uni again. Now, she is in Law 2nd year.
I’m not sure but I think local Medicine is the only course you cannot reapply.