SHOULD I RETAKE MY O'LEVEL ENGLISH??

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

SHOULD I RETAKE MY O'LEVEL ENGLISH??

Postby biggirl » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm

HI! I am currently enrolled to poly as a full time student. I do not know whether should i retake my english this year as a private candidate. I got a D7 for my english last year!

Someone please advice me!! I do not know is it a waste of time to retake it or should i just do well in poly???

P.S. Do i need to pass my O'level english in order to get into a universities?

biggirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: SHOULD I RETAKE MY O'LEVEL ENGLISH??

Postby havok_ex » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:14 am

Its advisable to retake and try and pass at least. Having a good command of the language will really help you in life, especially in a university context. I would recommend that you retake it, its only one subject. If you invest 4-6 hours a week on it with a good tutor, I'm sure you could at least pass.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Teacher Aaron » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:28 pm

biggirl wrote:HI! I am currently enrolled to poly as a full time student. I do not know whether should i retake my english this year as a private candidate. I got a D7 for my english last year!

Someone please advice me!! I do not know is it a waste of time to retake it or should i just do well in poly???

P.S. Do i need to pass my O'level english in order to get into a universities?

Admissions are mostly by GPA scores, but even if you make it to university based on your GPA score, if your English isn't good enough, you will struggle. The same goes for the workplace; if you cannot communicate well in English, you at a disadvantage.

Teacher Aaron
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Dopecheck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:05 pm

hey, which syllabus are you under at? I failed my olvl eng as well and I'm still hesitating should I retake it.

I lost the momentum and drive to take Os again t_t

Dopecheck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby UncleLim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Take the exam again if you can afford the time. A pass is never a bad thing.

But more than that, go better your command of the language. If you learn to speak well, more doors will open when you look for a job. Interviewers are often impressed with a job candidate who speaks well.

To improve does not mean you just work for a pass grade. It means you have to make an effort and speak and write well. Tune in regularly and listen to those BBC news readers. Or check out a few language improvement channels on Youtube. Speak with those around you in complete sentences and reduce the use of Singlish or whatever rojak language everyone speaks today.

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby zbear » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:14 pm

What UncleLim says is very true. English is our first language n it opens more doors for jobs in future especially those in the service sector.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Teacher Aaron » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Speaking good English is commendable, but I would say writing good English is critical.

Most managerial positions are all about paperwork, and if you cannot write reports or proposals well, your promotion and career advancement prospects are greatly diminished. Bosses certainly do not look favourably at people whose writing they have to scratch their heads, squint their eyes and wonder aloud about.

Teacher Aaron
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

OT: some offices look beyond grades and would require applicants to write something to reveal their language ability...

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:32 pm

Teacher Aaron wrote:Speaking good English is commendable, but I would say writing good English is critical.

Most managerial positions are all about paperwork, and if you cannot write reports or proposals well, your promotion and career advancement prospects are greatly diminished. Bosses certainly do not look favourably at people whose writing they have to scratch their heads, squint their eyes and wonder aloud about.

Sad to say the standard of English has gone down tremendously. I have senior positions - Snr Mgrs n Directors who cant even write proper emails. Miscommunications also result due to this.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby biggirl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Thank you for your advice everybody! It really helps me a lot:) I will be retaking my English!!

biggirl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees