Pursue Uni or work?

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

Pursue Uni or work?

Postby julongmum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Hi all
My niece has just graduated fr poly n been accepted by local Uni for an IT course. However she has no interest in pursuing IT and her GPA can't get her to the other courses like business or marketing in govt Uni. Private full time Uni is not considered cos of financial constraint.

Would like to hear yr opinion as to whether she should just go ahead with the IT in Uni and obtain an IT degree or should just abort and join the work force. She is someone who enjoys companion and thus very active in poly therefore I think she would continue to like Uni life. However pursuing a course that doesn't interest her, does it make sense?!

Many thanks in advance for any of yr comment.

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Pursue Uni or work?

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Pursue education first, work to earn money can come later.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm

Was her course in Poly IT related too?

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby julongmum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:53 pm

SAHM_TAN wrote:Was her course in Poly IT related too?

Yes, that should be the reason she is being accepted in Uni IT course. Having gone thru IT in poly also gave her the idea IT didn't interest her.

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Mawar » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Maybe defer admission? Take the time to seek employment and see if she is ready for the workforce.

Mawar
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby julongmum » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Pursue education first, work to earn money can come later.

Thanks starlight1968sg, what u quoted is true. But pursuing something u don't like make sense?

julongmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:14 pm

julongmum wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:Pursue education first, work to earn money can come later.

Thanks starlight1968sg, what u quoted is true. But pursuing something u don't like make sense?

I think an additional 3 yrs of study in an area that doesn't interest her would be a waste of time. Also, if she doesn't do well, it will be even more of a waste. And will she want a job in that area if it doesn't interest her? If she were my daughter, I would suggest that she find a job in her area of interest and do that for at least a year, while considering ways to get to do a university course in her area of interest. And if she feels that she is doing well without a degree, maybe there is no need to do one at all, or to put it off till later.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:26 pm

Studying something which he/she isnt keen in?
If he/she can see the relevance in future career aspect, then maybe interest can be developed.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 pm

julongmum wrote:
SAHM_TAN wrote:Was her course in Poly IT related too?

Yes, that should be the reason she is being accepted in Uni IT course. Having gone thru IT in poly also gave her the idea IT didn't interest her.

Taking her experience fr poly, she doesn't like IT, taking into consideration that she has been taking IT related modules for 3 yrs, I think it's safe to assume she knows she will not enjoy it in uni too. Her not doing well maybe one of the reasons is no interest in the subject. If continue in uni, maybe high chance not very good results too. Most likely she is not interested in IT related work?

Does she know what courses she wish to take up in uni? If yes, she can consider to enter the workforce to save up money with the goal of taking up the course in pte uni.

The other idea that I have which I'm not too sure how workable becos :

1) don't know why your niece took up poly
2) not familiar with post-secondary education

The idea that I have is how abt taking A levels as pte candidate? This might be painful becos it's academic intensive for close to 2 yrs and feels like starting all over again.

I had a fren, he went to poly for a yr, found that not suitable for him so reapply for JC. I don't know how he applied to JC again, as in did he have to take the exams again or can still use earlier results. Anyway he was in JC for 2 yrs, then army, then uni.

I have another fren, after As, went to work for 2 yrs then went uni.

There are many possibilities, it's dependent on your niece.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby havok_ex » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Uni first. You can take a minor or a second major in what you are interested in in University. Or even better, you can transfer to a course you like after your first semester/year.

You can't defer admission unless there is either a medical reason or NS. Other reasons won't be accepted by the universities.

In any case. I think she should pursue her studies in IT. If she doesn't like it, she can try transferring. If she goes to work now, she may be doomed to the IT industry forever based on her diploma. What's worse is that she might be doing something she doesn't like but paid a low wage because she only has a diploma. At least with a degree, even if she doesn't like what she does, she would at least get paid a higher salary.

havok_ex
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees