All About SAT

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.

All About SAT

Postby osim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:37 am

What is the best time to take the SAT tests for boys? Is JC1 a good time and would he have enough content knowledge to handle the paper?

I understand the results is valid for only 5 years so it will expire when he comes out of army. We are thinking better to do before army as it is difficult to study during NS time.

For US Unis, are you also able to get a place at 19 and enter only after army like the local Unis?

Do UK Unis use SAT also or do they use TOEFL?

Any input/advise from forumners here is very much appreciated.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: All About SAT

Postby Teacher Aaron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

osim wrote:What is the best time to take the SAT tests for boys? Is JC1 a good time and would he have enough content knowledge to handle the paper?

I understand the results is valid for only 5 years so it will expire when he comes out of army. We are thinking better to do before army as it is difficult to study during NS time.

For US Unis, are you also able to get a place at 19 and enter only after army like the local Unis?

Do UK Unis use SAT also or do they use TOEFL?

Any input/advise from forumners here is very much appreciated.


Only US universities require SAT and TOEFL. Our Cambridge 'A' level certificates are recognised by UK and Commonwealth countries so there is no added requirement for separate admissions test.

I personally think that SAT isn't that hard for local students. Our standards here at the JC level are very high, and someone who can do well in the A levels is very like to ace the SAT.

US universities generally can hold your university place for a year or two, but because different universities have different policies, it is best to send an email to the admissions office of the universities you intend to apply to and get a confirmation of the maximum holding period.

I would suggest doing the SAT before NS since the stuff that the student has studied for A levels is still fresh in the head and not yet replaced by army songs. :lol:

Teacher Aaron
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 pm
Total Likes: 3


Re: All About SAT

Postby angell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi

I have a few SAT books for sale, please see the Garage Sales.

Thank you!

angell
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About SAT

Postby micko07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:57 pm

TOEFL is an English exam for non-native speakers. Singaporeans should be eligible for an exemption.

I have yet to hear of a school that does NOT allow males to defer for two years but Teacher Aaron is right in that you should email them to check.

My thoughts on SATs, copied from another post
Personally, I think it's infinitely easier relative to A levels. I got 2200+ (SAT I) and 700+ on 3 SAT IIs with a single sitting for each paper.

SAT IIs are the subject tests -you typically need 2-3 out of a list of 20 or so subjects. If an Arts student like me who only did Biology up to Sec 4 could get 700+ via self-study, it really can't be that difficult. SAT II Math is pretty easy is you do H1/H2 Math - in fact, I think I had a friend who managed to get a pretty good score even without doing H1/H2 Math. I also did SAT II Literature, which was all right. You can look at the list of tests offered and some sample tests here: http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sa ... reparation

SAT I is the "general" test that must be taken by pretty much everyone (you can also do the ACT in lieu, but I've never tried that). SAT I Math is a complete joke - I remember a lot of the questions were about Sec 1/2 level. As long as you're careful, there's no reason why you can't get a perfect score. The vocabulary bit is pretty annoying because they tend to use words that don't come up often in everyday conversation, but that can be remedied by some hard-core memorization. You'll also need to go back and revise basic grammar rules (which can actually be completely counter-intuitive). The essay is also graded differently to GP so you need to be familiar with how that works too. You can see a sample SAT paper here: https://sat.collegeboard.org/practice/sat-practice-test

You only really need SATs for US applications - I wouldn't sit for them otherwise (unfortunately, the UK schools typically make offers conditional on SIPCAL/ IB). If the kid is potentially interested in applying to the US, I would suggest taking them as soon as possible, so that you can resit if necessary. I can't exactly remember when I took my SATs, but I think I did SAT IIs in June of J1 and SAT I in December of J1. Practise loads, be very careful, and you should be fine (there are "ten year series" equivalents, which you can buy from bookshops or online eg http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/college/sat/)

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About SAT

Postby osim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Wow, great info! Big Thank You to all.

ds school said they can take next year at JC2 but you know I am a ksp. I thought next year got big exam prep so better to take this year.

Does he have to sign up a preparation course and any recommendation for such centres? How long is the course typically? Is online course okay to use? I am also thinking of letting him take Jun or Nov holiday this year.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am
Total Likes: 3



Re: All About SAT

Postby angell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm

osim wrote:Wow, great info! Big Thank You to all.

ds school said they can take next year at JC2 but you know I am a ksp. I thought next year got big exam prep so better to take this year.

Does he have to sign up a preparation course and any recommendation for such centres? How long is the course typically? Is online course okay to use? I am also thinking of letting him take Jun or Nov holiday this year.


My DD did not attend any prep class nor online courses, only practised with the Barron's books. She did the SAT twice in J2 and the subject tests very close to the A levels (now she said she was crazy to do that). She did pretty well for SAT and had full scores for the subject tests. She did her SAT twice as you are allowed to combine the best scores from each sitting for many universities, check their requirements.

I thought boys can do later, during or after NS?

angell
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About SAT

Postby osim » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm

angell wrote:My DD did not attend any prep class nor online courses, only practised with the Barron's books. She did the SAT twice in J2 and the subject tests very close to the A levels (now she said she was crazy to do that). She did pretty well for SAT and had full scores for the subject tests. She did her SAT twice as you are allowed to combine the best scores from each sitting for many universities, check their requirements.

I thought boys can do later, during or after NS?


We were thinking it could be better to do before NS as the academic stuff is still fresh in the head. Your dd is quite capable to do it all by herself and so near the national exam.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am
Total Likes: 3


Re: All About SAT

Postby angell » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 pm

osim wrote:
angell wrote:My DD did not attend any prep class nor online courses, only practised with the Barron's books. She did the SAT twice in J2 and the subject tests very close to the A levels (now she said she was crazy to do that). She did pretty well for SAT and had full scores for the subject tests. She did her SAT twice as you are allowed to combine the best scores from each sitting for many universities, check their requirements.

I thought boys can do later, during or after NS?


We were thinking it could be better to do before NS as the academic stuff is still fresh in the head. Your dd is quite capable to do it all by herself and so near the national exam.


Thanks but she was overly optimistic and very bad at planning.
But thankfully, things turned out fine.

angell
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:14 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: All About SAT

Postby micko07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:41 pm

osim wrote:Wow, great info! Big Thank You to all.

ds school said they can take next year at JC2 but you know I am a ksp. I thought next year got big exam prep so better to take this year.

Does he have to sign up a preparation course and any recommendation for such centres? How long is the course typically? Is online course okay to use? I am also thinking of letting him take Jun or Nov holiday this year.


Just buy one of those "ten year series" and practice diligently. It worked out fine for me (the fact that an Arts student can get 700+ on Bio should tell you just how doable self-study is). Get one of those SAT vocabulary lists as well.

Jun and Nov are fine, but make sure he has ample time to practise. SATs are somewhat different from A levels and you need to be familiar with the tests.

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:46 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: All About SAT

Postby osim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:39 am

micko07 wrote:
Just buy one of those "ten year series" and practice diligently. It worked out fine for me (the fact that an Arts student can get 700+ on Bio should tell you just how doable self-study is). Get one of those SAT vocabulary lists as well.

Jun and Nov are fine, but make sure he has ample time to practise. SATs are somewhat different from A levels and you need to be familiar with the tests.


It's good to hear this. Can save $$$ if he Prep by himself.

osim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:13 am
Total Likes: 3


Next

Return to Tertiary Education - A-Levels, Diplomas, Degrees