How to waive chinese studying in A level

Is there life after O/A-Levels? Definitely! How well a person does in tertiary education is correlated with job opportunities open to the person. Discuss issues pertaining to nstitutes of higher learning here.
Post Reply
millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 23,

How to waive chinese studying in A level

Post by millan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi all,

I very rusty already.

May I know by passing MT is good enough to save you from studying Chinses in A level?

thks

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 1779
Joined: Sun Apr 26,

Post by mrswongtuition » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:24 am

I thought you need to pass HIGHER MT before you are 'exempted' from A level chinese?

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Posts: 436
Joined: Thu Feb 19,
Total Likes:2

Post by krazy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 am

that is correct.

you need to have higher mother tongue and pass it at o levels and then you are exempted from during mother tongue at a levels.

HoneyMong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 29,

Post by HoneyMong » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:45 am

If the route is to go to Poly, there is no need to do HMT at "O" levels. Just normal MT is enough. Is this correct?

When in Poly, for those who did not offer HMT in "O" level - are they required to study Chinese in Poly? Don't know how things work in Poly. :?:

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 5937
Joined: Wed Oct 28,
Total Likes:69

Post by schweppes » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:06 pm

HoneyMong wrote:If the route is to go to Poly, there is no need to do HMT at "O" levels. Just normal MT is enough. Is this correct?

When in Poly, for those who did not offer HMT in "O" level - are they required to study Chinese in Poly? Don't know how things work in Poly. :?:
Students are not required to study Chinese or any other mother tongue in the poly


millan
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 23,

Post by millan » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:17 pm

schweppes wrote:
HoneyMong wrote:If the route is to go to Poly, there is no need to do HMT at "O" levels. Just normal MT is enough. Is this correct?

When in Poly, for those who did not offer HMT in "O" level - are they required to study Chinese in Poly? Don't know how things work in Poly. :?:
Students are not required to study Chinese or any other mother tongue in the poly
Thks all. As long as need not get A to get exemption , it is fine. This can be a motivation factor to jiok jiok my son to go HMT. I actually let him off for PSLE, so now he is back :wink:

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Nov 30,

Post by CJS » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:59 pm

I heard that CL in JC includes the studying of some Chinese literature? Is it true? If so, wat exactly do they do in Chinese Literature ? Is it tough ?

Thanks.

jaycee
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 07,

Post by jaycee » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:21 am

chinese literature is a different thing all together...Chinese in JC is similar to Higher Chi in 'O' Levels.
However, if a child is doing Chinese B syllabus in 'O' Levels, he can still do chinese B in Jc

kind
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 18,

Post by kind » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:41 pm

millan wrote:Thks all. As long as need not get A to get exemption , it is fine. This can be a motivation factor to jiok jiok my son to go HMT. I actually let him off for PSLE, so now he is back :wink:
my girl passed her H Chines in PSLE, so she was authomaticall given an option to continue her study in her sec 1. This year she is sec 3 already, it was real tough for her these 3 yrs. She has to sit for her O level normal chinese exam at her sec 3, if passes then she can proceed with he H Chinese O level exam in sec 4.

I think if she score A she will get discounded points entering into JC. This is the reward for taking H Chinese.


Otherwise, if she did not take up her H Chinese in sec 1, she will need to continue take normal chinese till JC. Understand that only JC 1 study chinese and sit for their A level normal chinese exam by end of JC1. At JC 2 no need to study Chinese.

Jfalk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Dec 18,

Post by Jfalk » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:02 pm

CJS wrote:I heard that CL in JC includes the studying of some Chinese literature? Is it true? If so, wat exactly do they do in Chinese Literature ? Is it tough ?

Thanks.
H1 Chinese (which all who didn't take HCL are required to take) is basically a significantly watered-down form of Chinese Literature. There is a textbook with 10 compulsory short stories/passages to be studied (by Lu Xun etc, these passages are actually rather well-known), and 30% of your Paper 2 in the final exam will be based on one of these passages. Remaining 70% is from unseen texts and Paper 1 is a normal composition paper, harder than O Level though. There are Oral and LC exams also.

In general it is quite a bit harder than O Level CL (some say it is on-par with HCL), and if you scraped past that, you can expect to struggle with H1 CL.

Post Reply